Why bib shorts?

Bonker1
Bonker1 Posts: 51
edited June 2007 in Workshop
I'm a long time, long distance, all weather cyclist. I'm now training for an ironman so have started to take a bit more interest in all the proper kit.

Bib shorts, what the advantage? Are they hot? Are they more comfortable?

Garden, cycle, live
Garden, cycle, live

Comments

• DLB
    DLB Posts: 631
    i've only just started using them but find them more comfortable than shorts. I have a bit of a belly and the shorts used to be uncomfortable under my belly. Above the waist they aren't that much warmer than shorts.

I'd definitely recommend them over shorts.

*** Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right ***
    *** Whether you think you can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right ***
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    More comfortable but harder to take a pee.
  • tekno
    tekno Posts: 87
    Bibs also stop the shorts falling down!
  • Ale
    Ale Posts: 180
    It's possible to get the top of your shorts snagged by the front of your saddle as you set off from lights, thus mooning the car behind.

That's the main reason I wear bibs for riding through built up areas.
  • Bonker1
    Bonker1 Posts: 51
    Falling down Tekno, sure that isn't Tenko.

How can cycling shorts fall down!

Thanks for the nod on comfort, I might try a pair. My last cycling shorts cost me œ5 about 15 years ago. They still work though.

Garden, cycle, live
    Garden, cycle, live
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    Bibs are simply more comfortable. They keep your bits in the correct place better than shorts and they don't place pressure on the midrift which I find can restrict breathing. But, if you are 'challenged' in the trouser department (I am told) it can make taking a leak a little harder.
  • jsmithfym
    jsmithfym Posts: 296
    when taking a leak and you are challenged in the trouser dept you just need to pull down harder on the bibs.
    So they tell me.
  • Fnaar
    Fnaar Posts: 1,985
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jsmithfym</i>

when taking a leak and <u><b>you are challenged in the trouser dept </b></u>you just need to pull down harder on the bibs.
    So they tell me.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    "Would Sir like a fight before I measure Sir's inside leg?" [:D]

<b><font color="blue"><font face="Comic Sans MS">kinckers kanckers konckers</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="blue"></b> [:D]
  • Keith Rapley
    Keith Rapley Posts: 150
    And I thought the gripper on the legs was to stop it falling out[:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • jongooligan
    jongooligan Posts: 223
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Are they hot?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Warmer than waist shorts but there are lots of them that have mesh "braces" which are a little cooler.
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Are they more comfortable?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Yes.
  • jumbolugs
    jumbolugs Posts: 181
    They're definitely better than normal shorts - you don't feel like you have to keep hitching them up
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    I've convrted to them and am being ridiculed on the beginners forum at the moment, Big daddy?
    mmmm....

my elephant has more memory than my PC
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Freddie Mercury!

But they are better, comfortable etc

I'm converted

Richard

Best thing I ever bought for a bike?
    Padded shorts![:D]
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • tekno
    tekno Posts: 87
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bonker1</i>

Falling down Tekno, sure that isn't Tenko.

How can cycling shorts fall down!

Thanks for the nod on comfort, I might try a pair. My last cycling shorts cost me œ5 about 15 years ago. They still work though.

Garden, cycle, live
    Bonger1 Perhaps change your login name to gatwick As that comment went right over you head!!
  • wong
    wong Posts: 817
    The wife finds them kinky

http://www.cyclistclub.org.hk/main.htm
    One thing better than a bicycle is a better bicycle
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wong</i>

The wife finds them kinky

You are supposed to wear them when cycling. [:)]
  • normanp
    normanp Posts: 279
    They don't interrupt any complicated digestive processes brought on by the mixtures of fructose, maltodextrin, bananas, cake... water
  • road-runner
    road-runner Posts: 8,630
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pirahna</i>

More comfortable but harder to take a pee.

My experience is the opposite: no more having to undo a waist string, simply pull the stretchy lycra down and hey presto. That's on both my Assos and Nike bib shorts.