Ghost Bikes of New York

TomB1960
TomB1960 Posts: 19
edited June 2007 in Campaign
I wonder if anyone else saw the article in yesterday's (9/6/07) Telegraph magazine? Essentially it reported the actions of two cycling activist groups in New York called Visual Resistance and Time's Up. It seems that there is a surprisingly high mortality amongst New York's cyclists due to appalling driving standards. The groups chain DayGlo white painted immobilised bikes as near as they can to the places where fatal accidents have occured. These bikes are often decorated with flowers and photos of the victims, they then serve as a memorial to the rider and as a reminder to motorists. I am not sure what I think about this, I was moved and a big part of admires their stance. What does everyone else think-fitting tribute or way too mawkish?

Comments

• Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    I have two minds about this......

One says that it is a good thing, and it highlights a real problem. A similar campaign was to actually paint the standard "Police " body outlines where any death had occurred - pedestrians and drivers as well. It can highlight the area as being dangerous.

The other is a thought about the "validity" there was a campaign here a couple of years ago about one of these shrines to a drunk driver who had killed himself whilst speeding. A tragic death (as are all deaths) but are we accepting the behaviour?
    Do we have the right to choose which deaths are commemorated?

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    Painting the body outline, I don't think that it is a good idea. We use a similar system here for marking all accidents. I had a bad motor-cycle accident about 3 years ago. After a few months, I got back on the bike and went to work, coming home, I saw the outline of my bike and registration number and was a constant reminder to me for about 12 months before it wore off. If a victim's relative uses the same route as where the accident happened, it will serve as a constant and painful reminder to them.
    The floral memorials - what happens after a few months? No more upkeep and look shabby.

http://bangkokhippo.blogspot.com/

Ex-XXL weigh-in 9/10 June: Update published: Monday 11 June
  • Kourosism
    Kourosism Posts: 63
    I think something which is universally recognised as marking an accident spot, such as flowers, does make drivers think twice about their actions - I know it does mine. I don't think I'm alone in saying that when I am driving to work, sometimes a sight like that really wakes me up, and makes me consider my driving more - I hope it does to many others too for the morning rush. I'm in favour of an idea like that.

However, to me at least the Ghost bikes just scream "Art". Unless someone had previously explained to me that they marked the spot of an accident, I just wouldn't get it. And I'm saying that as a driver and a cyclist.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    If I get killed on the road then I'd like a Gatso erected at the site.

<b>You're not the boss of me.</b>
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • this just makes me want to organise an awareness ride of bikers on white bikes (or day glow) wearing skeleton suits (you know the black ones with the bones) to ride through areas of high cyclist fatalities to try and point out the dangerous areas
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Random Vince</i>

this just makes me want to organise an awareness ride of bikers on white bikes (or day glow) wearing skeleton suits (you know the black ones with the bones) to ride through areas of high cyclist fatalities to try and point out the dangerous areas
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Sounds a lot like tempting fate, riding through a high-risk area dressed as a skeleton.
    This post contains traces of nuts.