ProBikeKit GP4000S & GP4000 Black Chilli

ghitchen
ghitchen Posts: 44
edited June 2007 in Workshop
ProBikeKit have GP4000S at œ24.99 and what they are calling GP4000 Black Chili at œ21.99. See http://www.probikekit.com/compare.php?COMP21=Y1015&COMP23=y1014&COMPARE=YES
for what I mean. The Conti web site doesn't mention the latter - can anybody shed any light on it? I've emailed PBK but someone here may know.

Yes, but apart from the elephants, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Comments

• Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    I believe they're the same tyre. Black chili is what conti are calling the compound for the 4000S I think.

---

If I had a baby elephant, I'd fit right in here.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Balck chilli is the new tyre designed to be better in the wet, more grip in general and longer wearing. Balck chilli usually are more pricier than gp4000s. I should know I have just bought them and in two LBS the chilli tyre was the more expensive.

Brian B.
    Brian B.
  • ghitchen
    ghitchen Posts: 44
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Brian B</i>

Balck chilli is the new tyre designed to be better in the wet, more grip in general and longer wearing. Balck chilli usually are more pricier than gp4000s. I should know I have just bought them and in two LBS the chilli tyre was the more expensive.

Brian B.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

But the GP4000S uses the Black Chili compound:

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti%20grand%20prix%204000S.shtml

• JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    I believe the GP4000S is the only tyre with the black chili compound, however the confusion may have arisen as in the latest Conti Tyres UK brochure I have, they list two part codes for the GP4000S tyre.
    One of the part codes is something like 0000001 though - which leads me to believe there's some sort of printing error.
    Not sure why they would get two different prices for the same tyre though!

Anyway, the 4000S is awesome!

Edit: I just checked Ribble - The difference in price between the standard 4000 and the 4000S is about 2 quid - i.e. Is it poss. that the cheaper listing is actually a normal GP4000 mistakenly listed as Black Chili?
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    The 4000S is dearer and supposedly superior and is the new version of the 4000 which is still available. I bought a pair of the 4000S for my g/friends bike and I could fit the tyres to her Open pro rims without levers - unheard of for me. They are v.supple and she commented how comfortable those tyres are compared to what she had on before (Vitt.Rubinos) I might get some myself to compare them to the ProRace2 (special edition) I have been using.

M.Rushton
    M.Rushton
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Looks like the webmaster has got confused, the ones on the right look like the GP4000S the ones on the left look like the GP4000 which do not have the "black chili" compund.

mrushton - totally agree with you, i fitted a pair of GP4000S on wednesday without needing levers or even hurting my thumbs... easiest tires I have ever fitted and they are very comfy to ride.

My Best Bike
  • Looks like what has been said already.
    i thought the 'new' tyres were black with silver highlights and the older version had the usual 'orange' conti logo?

i want the silver ones!

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Steve Austin</i>

Looks like what has been said already.
    i thought the 'new' tyres were black with silver highlights and the older version had the usual 'orange' conti logo?

i want the silver ones!

Mleh Mleh Mleh

They are and you do[:D] The black/silver combination looks the dogs on the bike they are fitted to (black/silver oddly enough) and they also go fast being that colour (not as fast as red tho! which means JashBurnhams all-red bike could be the fastest on the planet[:)]

M.Rushton
    M.Rushton
  • JonBurns
    JonBurns Posts: 212
    Jashburnham said on another thread he's just swapped his red GP's for the new black chilli's so I reckon he'll be able to say what the difference is between the two.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Well I've only put 40 miles on them since wednesday, so it's still early days. First impressions are:

1. They are a joy to fit even onto Fulcrum rims.
    2. They are comfier than standard GP4000's.
    3. They certainly seem faster, my last 2 morning rides round RP have both been quicker than usual by 30 seconds or so - of course hard to tell if the tires are the contributing factor here, but they do seem to glide along.
    4. They look great on the bike, I think red/wheels and red tires was just a bit too much.

My Best Bike
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    I posted on another thread:
    New bike and a couple of months of training to factor in here:
    40 odd mile run London-Surrey - Mix. of London tarmac, and Surrey rough backroads - *27 minutes* time saving!

Will post some pictures tonight... The bike looks "the dogs!"

Difficult to tell how much is due to the bike/different wheels.
    25c GP4000@100psi vs. 23c GP4000S@120psi:
    4000S ride is more comfortable, more responsive, the grip is unbelievably good.
    So far none of the usual outer-rubber cuts I see on the GP4000s, but then I haven't done enough miles to really comment.

Only done 40 dry miles so far though.

Edit: I think the 4000S is made in Germany, whereas I think the 4000 is made in Thailand? (or maybe I'm mixing this up with the Ultrasports on the station hack).
  • Markta
    Markta Posts: 767
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JWSurrey</i>

I posted on another thread:
    New bike and a couple of months of training to factor in here:
    40 odd mile run London-Surrey - Mix. of London tarmac, and Surrey rough backroads - *27 minutes* time saving!

Will post some pictures tonight... The bike looks "the dogs!"

Difficult to tell how much is due to the bike/different wheels.
    25c GP4000@100psi vs. 23c GP4000S@120psi:
    4000S ride is more comfortable, more responsive, the grip is unbelievably good.
    So far none of the usual outer-rubber cuts I see on the GP4000s, but then I haven't done enough miles to really comment.

Only done 40 dry miles so far though.

Edit: I think the 4000S is made in Germany, whereas I think the 4000 is made in Thailand? (or maybe I'm mixing this up with the Ultrasports on the station hack).

According to my 4000's, they're "handmade in Germany".

http://mrkta.myphotoalbum.com/albums.php