Where does this stupid term "push-bike" come from?

Roastie
Roastie Posts: 1,968
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
Every time I hear someone use this term or read it, I become incensed! It is derogatory, demeaning and plain stupid because the only time I push my bike is when the chain has broken irreparably!

Now, I can understand a committed car or motorcycle driver/rider using it, but why on earth would any self respecting cyclist (bicycle rider!) perpetuate the use of this term? [:(!]

Comments

• because you push the pedals with your feet?

perhaps, in the days of 'penny farthings' you had to push them before getting on?
  • Brock_71
    Brock_71 Posts: 775
    I've got a push bike. [:)]

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">A bicycle is for life, not just for Christmas.</font id="size1">
    <hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">A bicycle is for life, not just for Christmas.</font id="size1">
  • Kaaarm down. Kaaarm down.
    Dosn't bother me.
    I also still enjoy hearing "Hey Mister, your back wheel's going round". I've had it shouted at me since the sixties and when I hear it today it just gives me a warm fuzzy, everythings OK with the world feeling.

--
    <font color="red"><b>Basil W Brush</b></font id="red">
    --
    <font><b>Basil W Brush</b></font>
  • longers75
    longers75 Posts: 214
    We used to know them as push-irons. Until you mentioned it I've never even thought why. Proper curious I am now.

Push- Alu?

Push-Tit?

Push-Carbon?

<font size="1"> ~~~~~~~~~~~~</font id="size1">
    <font size="1"><i> I'm just going outside . . . I may be some time.</i></font id="size1">
  • I like 'Push-Tit'

From people like me who cant climb and end up pushing the bike up a hill!
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Random Vince</i>

because you push the pedals with your feet?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    This was always my understanding.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • GeeBee44
    GeeBee44 Posts: 6
    Several innovators contributed to the history of the bicycle by developing predecessor human-powered vehicles, including the velocipede. The documented ancestors of today's modern bicycle were known as pushbikes, Draisines or hobby horses. To use the Draisine, first introduced to the public in Paris by the German Baron Karl von Drais in 1818[3], the operator sat astride a wooden frame supported by two in-line wheels and pushed the vehicle along with his/her feet while steering the front wheel.
  • longers75
    longers75 Posts: 214
    Just remembered we used to call them push-rods too.

<font size="1"> ~~~~~~~~~~~~</font id="size1">
    <font size="1"><i> I'm just going outside . . . I may be some time.</i></font id="size1">
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    I think it's stupid too, I only came across this phrase here in England.

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    It's only called a push-bike to distinguish it from motorbike, as if you just say "bike" then without sufficient context it can either mean either a pedal cycle or a motorbike.
    I don't mind it so much... but what about "push-iron"? [:D] now that is offensive
  • The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MICHAELCYCLES</i>

I like 'Push-Tit'

From people like me who cant climb and end up pushing the bike up a hill!

As in: "I had a puncture so I push - tit"
    geddit...
  • ChrisKH
    ChrisKH Posts: 1,717
    Geebee's right the first bikes didn't have any transmission/chains. They were literally pushed. A sort of 'grown-up' LikeABike.

Baby elephants are so last year, darling.
    Baby elephants are so last year, darling.
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    The great thing about linguistic vagueness is the opportunities it offers:

"I came in by bike today."
    "Motorbike?"
    "Nah, push-bike. Engines are for wimps." [:)]

<font size="1">
    <b>No longer looking for a pennyfarthing as I've got some powerbocks instead. Casualty here I come!</b>
    It is by will alone I set my ride in motion.</font id="size1">
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Roastie</i>

Every time I hear someone use this term or read it, I become incensed! It is derogatory, demeaning and plain stupid because the only time I push my bike is when the chain has broken irreparably!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You best seek out an anger management course - is it that important? Best just get out on the bike and enjoy!!

This is my bike:
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure001.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure002.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure003.jpg
  • Roastie
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndyGates</i>

The great thing about linguistic vagueness is the opportunities it offers:

"I came in by bike today."
    "Motorbike?"
    "Nah, push-bike. Engines are for wimps." [:)]

<font size="1">
    <b>No longer looking for a pennyfarthing as I've got some powerbocks instead. Casualty here I come!</b>
    How about:
    "Nah, <i>bicycle</i>. Engines are for wimps."?
  • BigWomble
    BigWomble Posts: 455
    The reason is that the bicycles of the early 20th century were made of heavy steel/neutron star, and if the rider was lucky, with 3 gears (none of that Rohloff frippery), although usually single speed. I rode one of these behemoths in my youth, and most hills meant that you had to get of and push - hills that a rider on a decent mountain bike could go straight up today.

Ta - Arabic for moo-cow
    Ta - Arabic for moo-cow
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    Their called push bikes because you have to 'Push off' to get going.

On a similar topic, why do you ride a bike, but drive a car ?

I would suggest you ride a horse, you drive a bike (ie. apply force to make it move) and point a car
  • twowheels
    twowheels Posts: 104
    Push bike may have originated from eastern europe with its un-reliable {Lada} bicycle. Just need a heated rear saddlebag to keep your hands warm.
  • MrHulot
    MrHulot Posts: 173
    As kids we used 'treader' - don't hear it much now. But kids don't use bikes like we did (if at all) - and before anybody says it, I'm talking about not that long ago.
  • Browneaves - the descriptive action of 'ride' or 'drive' applies to the manner that the person interacts with the vehicle.

For a vehicle where the operator is 'on' rather than 'in' the vehicle the term 'ride' is used. It is not a reflection of the motive power.

• BentMikey
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by overmars</i>

LOL, only if you don't know how to use the pedals to start off properly. Can you tell I don't like the scooting start?

<font size="1">My bikes

• How do you feel about 'pushie'?
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    Velocipede: four syllables.

Bicycle: three syllables.

Pushbike: two.

Bike: One, which is even better, but unclear.

I'm so glad they're not called rotary-reciprocating personal mobility devices.

<font size="1">
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • Roastie
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by overmars</i>

No you don't. The dude from Cyclecraft seems to think so, but I've never seen "pushing off" as a prerequisite.
  • Roastie
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndyGates</i>

Velocipede: four syllables.
    Now that is be best term of all - it sounds cool and aspirational.

"Push bike" makes it sound like a drudge. I feel very strongly about this. I think that cyclists referring to their machines as push-bikes does our cause more harm than RLJing.
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    The dictionary says that a pushbike doesn't have a motor.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • Cadfael
    Cadfael Posts: 149
    http://www.cycle-info.bpaj.or.jp/englis ... story.html

Take a look at the first bike in the list... 'The Hobby Horse'... now that IS a push-bike!

But even the others in the list... with direct drive of the front wheel could be termed 'push-bikes'. It is an old term for sure... and perhaps is not relavant to some of todays carbon fibre wonders.

I admit I am guilty of the 'Nah... a push-bike' response. I do not see it as a derogatory term... in fact I see more of a term of endearment. Push-iron I can also live with. But, in my part of the country they are also refered to as 'leg-irons'.. this I don't like, and I am not really the most PC of persons, but I do find that kinda offensive.
  • BentMikey
    I like iron horse as used for motorcycles. Doesn't really work for bikes though.

<font size="1">My bikes

• PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cadfael</i>

http://www.cycle-info.bpaj.or.jp/englis ... story.html

Take a look at the first bike in the list... 'The Hobby Horse'... now that IS a push-bike!

But even the others in the list... with direct drive of the front wheel could be termed 'push-bikes'. It is an old term for sure... and perhaps is not relavant to some of todays carbon fibre wonders.

I admit I am guilty of the 'Nah... a push-bike' response. I do not see it as a derogatory term... in fact I see more of a term of endearment. Push-iron I can also live with. But, in my part of the country they are also refered to as 'leg-irons'.. this I don't like, and I am not really the most PC of persons, but I do find that kinda offensive.

Beat me to it !, i have this 30 odd year old memory of a man 'pushing' his wooden bike along with his feet, that's got to be the origin surely ??