Defence of the UK

mossycp
mossycp Posts: 233
edited December 1969 in Campaign
I was just reading an article on the BBC website about the launch of the latest nuclear submarine, Astute, and it got me thinking.

What would happen to the UK if we didn't have any defence? i.e. we get rid of all army, navy, air force and associated defence mechanisms? Would we be immediately attacked by some hostile nation? Would we be bullied by other nations and our economy plummit? Would our standing in the world be immediately diminished and we'd turn into a third world state?

I'm not saying it might be a good thing or a bad thing, just interested on what people might think would happen.

<font color="blue"><h5>Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way {Dr Seus}</h5></font id="blue">
Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way {Dr Seus}

Comments

• trustysteed
    trustysteed Posts: 1,490
    i've wondered that myself. in this day and age would anyone want to invade britain risking the consequences of a world war to do so? and for what? there's no real industry or mineral wealth here!

today's baby elephants are tomorrow's circus heroes

today\'s baby elephants are tomorrow\'s circus heroes
  • Gary Askwith
    Gary Askwith Posts: 1,835
    They might want to pinch our glorious Royal <s>maggots</s> family come onnn youuuu reds!

Economic Growth; as dead as a Yangtze River dolphin....

Economic Growth; as dead as a Yangtze River dolphin....
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    I thought the armed forces were to keep us all from leaving?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    ROOR BONG PICTURES
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    Those welsh b@stards are just waiting for us to do that.
  • Cretin
    Cretin Posts: 266
    I would imagine a great deal of our trade influence might disappear, and our political influence would certainly be damaged. Most of our armed forces seem to be concerned with keeping the peace anywhere <i>but</i> Great Britain.

GB is a very rich nation though, and I'm happy to have a large submarine fleet (including nuclear weapons) plodding quietly around the oceans.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Racist![;)]

SNAPS
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>

I thought the armed forces were to keep us all from leaving?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol

Not much danger of that - they're too busy fighting among themselves in the Welsh Assembly.
  • ankev1
    ankev1 Posts: 3,686
    We'd eventually lose our seat on the UN security council which is bought and paid for by the deployments of the armed forces and we'd have zero influence in NATO (although I suppose that no armed forces = leave NATO anyway). Given that a corollary of such disarming would probably be the removal of US forces from the UK, thus leaving no armed forces in the country, should push ever come to shove (hard to imagine how but history has a habit of throwing up the unexpected0 we would have to roll over and have our tummies tickled if threatened by another power.

Also no Army = no regimental dinners and that would probably count as the biggest cultural crime in history, therefore it must not be allowed to happen. (You can disband the RAF though; they're just civilians in blue clothes.)
  • Bcp
    Bcp Posts: 1,163
    Although civil defence should not be the prime function of the Armed Forces there is no doubt they do those jobs well - from manning fire engines when firefighters go on strike to sorting out the F&M crisis - not to mention things like SAR. And considering that if our weather becomes more extreme we will soon need more manpower in helping sandbag bursting rivers and rescuing people from moorland fires.

If the forces were disbanded you would have to recruit a significant body to perform such actions and who for the rest of the time would be underemployed. I rather think the outcome would be an ineffective and under-resourced body who would end up being the butt of a lot of criticism.
  • <sees opportunity to bait regcogs>

We need them to keep workers and trade unionists (to name two categories) in their place.

<retreats and waits for and hour's worth of the sort of stuff that would even send redder's mother to sleep>
  • ankev1
    You'll have to wait a few minutes though; it takes a while for him to dictate his posts to his valet.
  • trustysteed
    trustysteed Posts: 1,490
    It might stop Terry Wogan from getting upset every year at the tactical voting in Eurovision!

today's baby elephants are tomorrow's circus heroes

today\'s baby elephants are tomorrow\'s circus heroes
  • Wogan
    Wogan Posts: 203
    Well, once you've ridiculed the contestants there's not much else to say and I've usually had quite a few scoops by the time they get to the voting.
    <font>Hemingway Soapbags</font>
  • papercorn2000
    papercorn2000 Posts: 4,517
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>

Just the Welsh?
    We're waiting to get our own back for oooh, all sorts of slights; real and imagined; the French will invade the SE (then promptly retreat, surrender and finally collaborate), and the place will, of course, become over-run with bogus asylum seekers who will promptly eat all your swans.

God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
    God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">What would happen to the UK if we didn't have any defence? i.e. we get rid of all army, navy, air force and associated defence mechanisms?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Government policy I thought!

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • snorri
    snorri Posts: 2,981
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>

I thought the armed forces were to keep us all from leaving?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Not much danger of that - they're too busy fighting among themselves in the Welsh Assembly.

The military are fighting in the Welsh assembly[?] What with tanks and submarines and things[?][:0]
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    What would happen? We'd end up selling ourselves out to some other government, possibly based in Brusse....oh, hang on...

If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by snorri</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>

I thought the armed forces were to keep us all from leaving?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The military are fighting in the Welsh assembly[?] What with tanks and submarines and things[?][:0]

Fortunately they only use hot air.
  • Which hot air has resulted in the scrapping of top-up tuition fees, free prescriptions for everyone, free bus travel for all pensioners, increased aid to farmers during the F&M crisis...

Cheers,

Tim

http://vizarch.blogspot.com
  • Saddle bum
    Saddle bum Posts: 2,044
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TimDanaher</i>

Which hot air has resulted in the scrapping of top-up tuition fees, free prescriptions for everyone, free bus travel for all pensioners, increased aid to farmers during the F&M crisis...

And who pays for it?

Molon Labe.

Molon Labe.
  • alecstilleyedye
    alecstilleyedye Posts: 1,170
    methinks george w would use the uk as a huge us airforce base[:(!]

if i had a better signature, i'd use that instead
    riding on my bicycle, i saw a motorcrash…
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Saddle bum</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TimDanaher</i>

Which hot air has resulted in the scrapping of top-up tuition fees, free prescriptions for everyone, free bus travel for all pensioners, increased aid to farmers during the F&M crisis...

And who pays for it?

Molon Labe.

Probably Kent Tories who pay taxes to make sure that Wales returns lots of Labour MPs.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    If we couldn't defend ourselves today we'd all be speaking French tomorrow.
    Or German.
    Maybe Cantonese.

<b>You're not the boss of me.</b>
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Keith Oates
    Keith Oates Posts: 22,036
    Mandarin is more useful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy
  • mjones
    mjones Posts: 1,915

Cheers,

Tim

http://vizarch.blogspot.com
    Indeed, the luxury of being a devolved government that has powers to spend taxpayers' money, but not to raise it. If they are made accountable to the electorate for the money they take, as well as the money they give, then I suspect their priorities may become somewhat different.
  • pgscp
    pgscp Posts: 1,102
    We could build a new empire by invading and colonising all non aligned nations, we could then own Sweden, Lichenstein, Monaco, Switzerland, Finland, loads of little Pacific Islands, possibly Iceland, and why not Cuba just for fun. Might as well also attack Iran to add to the joint US/Uk empires of Afghanistan and Iraq. We could declare an English speaking commonwealth and send any body we did not like to Iraq.

Or we could retract to a self defence force, become neutral ourselves, cease to police the world, and concentrate on peaceful trade and banking, a bit like Switzerland. Taxation would be a lot less too.
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tourist Tony</i>

What would happen? We'd end up selling ourselves out to some other government, possibly based in Brusse....oh, hang on...

Unlike say, selling ourselves (and our defence) out to the Americans, which is what we've done since WW2... that's so much more independent. We only paid off our post-war debts last year, our 'independent' nuclear deterent can't be lauched without their say-so, and we are obliged to supply the USA with all the signals intelligence gathered by GCHQ (amongst other things...).

I'd rather be European than an American lap-dog.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • BigWomble
    BigWomble Posts: 455
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Vegetius (wise Latin bloke).

Ta - Arabic for moo-cow
    Ta - Arabic for moo-cow
  • ankev1
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flying_Monkey</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tourist Tony</i>

Unlike say, selling ourselves (and our defence) out to the Americans, which is what we've done since WW2... that's so much more independent. We only paid off our post-war debts last year, <b>our 'independent' nuclear deterent can't be lauched without their say-so</b>, and <b>we are obliged to supply the USA with all the signals intelligence gathered by GCHQ </b>(amongst other things...).

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

I detect a bit of economy with the truth in this.

I don't know to what extent you're right about the nuclear deterrent but it would be nice to see some proper proof.

As for the second, there is a sharing agreement between the Brits and yanks on certain areas of that material, which means that nothing like all the stuff which the Brits collect gets passed on to them.
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flying_Monkey</i>

Unlike say, selling ourselves (and our defence) out to the Americans, which is what we've done since WW2... that's so much more independent. We only paid off our post-war debts last year, our 'independent' nuclear deterent can't be lauched without their say-so, and we are obliged to supply the USA with all the signals intelligence gathered by GCHQ (amongst other things...).

I'd rather not be a lap-dog at all-neither Euro nor Yank.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K