Shimano Deore front mechanism

Bellboy
Bellboy Posts: 29
edited June 2007 in Workshop
My wife is having difficulty operating the Shimano Deore front mechanism on her Ladies Specialized Rockhopper mountain bike.

It is the lever travel that is causing the problem and, on examination, the travel required to move from the 1st to 2nd ring is 50% further than on my male equivalent.

Is there a front mech setup/adjustment that will remedy this situation?

Regards
David
Regards
David

Comments

• heres the page for shimano service instuctions, scroll down to, and select Front Derailleurs . has the cable stretched ?if the lever is going a lot further than the other bike it may just need some of the slack taking out. http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/bl ... 1312457772 sorry it's a long link, i have no idea how to shorten them.
  • Bellboy
    >has the cable stretched ?<

Tried that. In fact I have removed front mech, refitted and re-adjusted and the result was the same. A puzzle.
    Same equipment, BUT, have not counted teeth to see if the difference/lift is greater.

Regards
    David
    Regards
    David
  • Is it routed correctly?

What kind of levers are you running?

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • Bellboy
    >Is it routed correctly?<
    Seems to be

>What kind of levers are you running?<
    Deore LX Rapidfire Plus
    Both men's and ladies bikes have the same equipt.

I have not had a chance to check numbers of teeth on small and medium rings to see if the difference/lift is greater than on mine. This would seem to be the only reason for the problem, ( thumb has to be pushed right under the bars before ratchet clicks,)as I have adjusted the cable to max tight, with no improvement.

Regards
    David
    Regards
    David