Geek question: Garmin time resolution

Simon Notley
Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
edited June 2007 in Workshop
I'm on the verge of splashing out on a Garmin Edge 305. I'm planning on using the data to analyse my performance in races as well as keep track of where I've been on longer rides.

I'm trying to find out exactly what level of detail is saved. Does anyone know what the time resolution of the saved data is? I assume the unit must update the speed and position at least every second, but does it store it at that resolution or does it just average over ten seconds or a minute? Anyone have any idea, or know where I can find a spec for the data files?

---

If I had a baby elephant, I'd fit right in here.

Comments

• AcademicX
    AcademicX Posts: 152
    Can't help you with your request for a spec. other than to say that the Edge305 has 2 modes of point measurement, once every second (according to the manual it can record up to 3.5 hours of data at this rate) and 'Smart Recording' (this "picks up key points where you change direction and speed"). Using the 'smart' mode I've rode up to 10 hours and the Edge305 has logged the ride.

The specifics of the algorithms used by GPS manufacturers is a bit of a dark art. You might get a more technical answer if you post a request on the GarminF forum