Safespeed?

eternal_headwind
eternal_headwind Posts: 222
edited June 2007 in Campaign
I haven't been on this forum for that long. Anyone care to post a FAQ on the safespeed people?

Any info much appreciated, it's just that they all seem a bit odd

Comments

• Oddballcp
    Oddballcp Posts: 197
    Friends all tried to warn me but I held my head up high...
  • Ravenbait
    Ravenbait Posts: 13,064
    Strangely enough, that's exactly what I was going to say.

Sam

<font size="1"><font color="teal">The cross product of Tank Girl and Ellen Ripley:</font id="teal">

http://ravenfamily.org
    <font color="purple">"<u>You</u> might remember that 'annoyed' is my natural state!"</font id="purple">

http://gentlemencyclists.org/clubhouse
    <font color="purple">"Ya'd think we could just attract ants, like normal people."</font id="purple"></font id="size1">

http://ravenfamily.org
    "You might remember that 'annoyed' is my natural state!"
    http://gentlemencyclists.org
    "Ya'd think we could just attracts ants, like normal people."
  • Originally I wanted a who's who sort of thing, but having found a few extra explanatory posts I think your advice is wise.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Read their site, and make your own decisions.

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    Try this

and this

and more

Oh, and this, from the website itself

and another

and one for the pot

My favourite SS quote for today is-

<i>I heard suggested that on receiving the notice of intended prosecution you could pick a recently deceased person mentioned in the local paper and name them as the driver at the time.
    </i>

• Cretin
    Cretin Posts: 266
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mister Paul</i>
    [url=C:\Users\Paul\Documents\Safespeed\countermeasures.htm]Oh and this, direct from his website[/url]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Looks more like it's from your computer. ;)
  • Mister Paul
    Oops! It's right now. And thanks to you I've found a couple more.

Thanks for pointing that out. [;)]

• The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eternal_headwind</i>

I haven't been on this forum for that long. Anyone care to post a FAQ on the safespeed people?

Post the Qs, and people will probably furnish you with the As.
  • AlfieNoakes
    AlfieNoakes Posts: 138
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eternal_headwind</i>

Great. Here's my first:

How many paid-up members does it have?
  • Cunobelin
    The reason that some of this is on Computers is that Safe<i></i>Speed has a habit of removing bits and then either denying they existed, that they were written by someone who sneaked into the website when the author wasn't looking, or other excuses.

There are also posters such as "The Boss" still doesn't recognise it exists even when it is posted in full.

(Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • AlfieNoakes
    AlfieNoakes Posts: 138
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cunobelin</i>

The reason that some of this is on Computers is that Safe<i></i>Speed has a habit of removing bits and then either denying they existed, that they were written by someone who sneaked into the website when the author wasn't looking, or other excuses.
    But help is at hand - you can find a valuable archived resource of road safety advice at the Web Archive.
  • The Bosscp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AlfieNoakes</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

Great. Here's my first:

At the time of posting, 2,682.
  • normal
    normal Posts: 11
    Seems to be an inordinate amount of attention given to something the majority of posters in this section of the forum would claim to be not worthy of any attention at all.
    What are you afraid of?
  • Cunobelin
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">But help is at hand - you can find a valuable archived resource of road safety advice at the Web Archive.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Bet that is unpopular!

(Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • The Bosscp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AlfieNoakes</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cunobelin</i>

But help is at hand - you can find a valuable archived resource of road safety advice at the Web Archive.

Alfie me old mucker! still on barryboys are we? make sure you wind up old officer local for us won't you there's a good chap.
  • The Bosscp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by normal</i>

Seems to be an inordinate amount of attention given to something the majority of posters in this section of the forum would claim to be not worthy of any attention at all.
    Never!
  • Mister Paul

Great. Here's my first:

No, that's the number of people registered on the forum. There's no money involved there.

I think this is what he was talking about.

• Mister Paul
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by normal</i>

What are you afraid of?

I'm no more afraid of the SS, paggers, than I am of the clowns at the circus. And I love visiting the circus.

• normal
    normal Posts: 11
    What are you talking about.
    What are SS paggers?
  • The Bosscp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mister Paul</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">

No, that's the number of people registered on the forum. There's no money involved there.

I think this is what he was talking about.

Oh Christ! I thought it was just the odd mate donating a tenner here and there for him to put towards hosting fees, apparently he wants TWO GRAND A MONTH! And claims to be <i>getting</i> a third of it!
    Has it ever occured to anyone that this is the only (or main) reason why he does it? That he's identified an area where there's a lot of widespread strength of feeling, and thought "how can I cash in on this?" ?
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    Well, you are a member. Have you paid anything towards his camper van yourself yet?

If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • Tourist Tony
    And in reply to Normal, pretending I don't recognise him, one reason that people here detest the SS playpen inmates is because they have made repeated attempts to close this site down.

That's besides the sheer offensiveness of their site's contents.
    What is your SS username, cretin?

• Cunobelin
    The people on this site are skinflints!

When SS launched a campaign to buy the Camper Van, I launched a similar campaign to buy me one of [url"www.vleokraft.com]these[/quote]

But not one of stingy swine did so!

Or is it that they have more common sense?

No-one here is "afraid" of SS, it is simply that it is a dangerous attitude which some see as justification for their attitude and lawbreaking. It is simply something that needs to be (and is) debunked at regular intervals.

(Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Oh, good. A safespped thread. A troll sanctuary, indeed.

<b>You're not the boss of me.</b>
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • When I asked the question I did it in the genuine spirit of enquiry. I have read the sites listed.

Which HMP are these SS members resident at?

I would issue a warning to the SS regarding the advice to name a recently deceased person. Remember that your name and address will be on the letter the deceased's family receive. Death is an emotive time, do not be surprised if such a move costs you a lot more than œ60.

Dondare has summed up the situation admireably, I offer an apology to the moderators and I understand if this thread is then considered inappropriate.
  • The Bosscp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tourist Tony</i>

And in reply to Normal, pretending I don't recognise him, one reason that people here detest the SS playpen inmates is because they have made repeated attempts to close this site down.

have they heckers like.
    That's just the exact sort of sentimentalist mumbo-jumbo I'd expect from you tone.
  • Tourist Tony
    Oh, you are even thicker than I would have believed! Was that the best trolling attempt you could come up with, sonny?

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    have they heckers like.
    That's just the exact sort of sentimentalist mumbo-jumbo I'd expect from you tone.

Ah. All is explained. The weekend when the Cycling Plus forum was taken down due to threats of legal action was a figment of our collective imaginations.
  • I said it over Christmas, when we last had an extended visitation from SS, and I'll repeat now.

There is a reason why people from this community (C+ forummers) expend a lot of time rebutting claims made by such posters.
    Such posters will make comments on threads, trying to make points to support their views on "road safety". I have seen them on this and other places, making comments on threads about people who have died (eg. the Rhyll inquest), turning those threads into dancing on a pin discussions about the amount of damage done to a road by a bike tyre versus lorry tyres (true).

In each case, the SS type tries to leave an impression that his/her viewpoint is suported by the "cycling community" (as if a discussion forum of cyclists is in some way an "official" voice for cyclists - it is not, just a bunch of ordinary people).
    Back to the point - such posters have an extraordinary amount of energy, and will keep on doing points to death in order to try to "make" "the cycling community" admit that they are right.
    (All of these "" are intentional).

Now, in my eyes, the problem comes when such posters think they are accepted by the community. They will then go on to reply to any and all posts with points to support their view of "road safety".
    As I've said above, I've seen threads on the tragedy at Rhyll degenerate into a slanging match about tyre pressure, licenses and "naked streets" policy.

Imagine if you will, on this forum if (say) someone posted asking for advice on a waterproof jacket. What if the first response was some holier-than-though from SS spouting that the jacket had better be luminous yellow, as that would make it safer for the cyclist to be on our oh-so-dangerous roads? Facile point I know, as I own a couple of yellow jackets and a rather nice reflective top myself.
    Or what if any post on lights had as the first response a finger wagging lecture that only BS approved lights should be used on the road, and that cyclists should use Ever Ready battery lights only ("cos they were good enough when I cycled ten miles to schol when I wera a nipper. I know all about cycling - I used to do it when I were at school")

There are many, many discussion on this forum, on racing, Audaxes, lycra shorts, equipment, baby elephants.
    It would be a sad day if every one of them contained a post which is designed to support the world view of a clique of people.
  • The Bosscp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tourist Tony</i>

Well, you are a member. Have you paid anything towards his camper van yourself yet?
    Am I? Oh right. Was that the best trolling attempt you could come up with, boyo?