what hi-fi

2»

Comments

• mjones
    mjones Posts: 1,915
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redcogs</i>

i had some esl 57s. Picked em up at a Cornish junk shop pre (ePay days) for œ50. They were stunning, but needed too much room and no toddlers, so they went (œ350!).

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Sounds like you made quite a profit there redcogs, you budding little capitalist! [;)]
  • Ghost Donkey
    Ghost Donkey Posts: 914
    As part of a previous job I used to install broadcast audio and video equipment. There's a lot of b0ll0cks written about this stuff (cables). Good cables help but it's the law of diminishing returns when it comes to cost over quality improvement. The word "digital" is the one which has probably had the most b0ll0cks associated with it ever when talking about audio or video technology. If you have an optical cable you're not prone to electrical interference. You can use the cheapest cable available to you as long as the structure is good. Digital coax cable needs to be able to take a high frequency but the cheapest "digital" compatible cable available is generally good enough unless you're running it over huge distances and past a lot of interfering equipment. You can get away with the cheapest analogue cables on offer above the free ones, if you don't want ot use the free ones that is. If you can do basic soldering you can make your own. I think a lot of shops compete on hi-fi kit price wise so help there profits by telling you you need expensive cable.
  • trustysteed
    trustysteed Posts: 1,490
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mjones</i>
    Sounds like you made quite a profit there redcogs, you budding little capitalist! [;)]
    good catch! [:D]

today's baby elephants are tomorrow's circus heroes

today\'s baby elephants are tomorrow\'s circus heroes
  • redcogs
    redcogs Posts: 3,232
    Once bought a pair of KEF 105s at the Halifax car boot for œ7. Sold on ePay for <œ200 mjones!

Obviously that makes me a wage slave exploiter on a par with Alan Sugar or yourself. How do i join the Rotary and the Masonic Lodge? Surely, with your connections you can offer a fast track route?

<font size="1">please look up to the stars.. </font id="size1"><font size="6"><font color="red">***</font id="red"></font id="size6">
    <font size="1">please look up to the stars.. </font id="size1"><font size="6"><font color="red">***</font id="red"></font id="size6">
  • mjones
    mjones Posts: 1,915
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redcogs</i>

Once bought a pair of KEF 105s at the Halifax car boot for œ7. Sold on ePay for <œ200 mjones!

Obviously that makes me a wage slave exploiter on a par with Alan Sugar or yourself. How do i join the Rotary and the Masonic Lodge? Surely, with your connections you can offer a fast track route?

[:0] On the above evidence it appears that your free market expertise greatly exceeds my own- the only profits I've ever made have been for my employer! So I'm the wage slave and you are the capitalist! You'd better apply for the next series: you would clearly be far more likely to meet with Sir Alan's approval than me- he always prefers the shrewd market trader type, with an eye for the good deal, to the airy-fairy academic! [;)]
  • simoncp
    simoncp Posts: 3,260
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mjones</i>

[:0] On the above evidence it appears that your free market expertise greatly exceeds my own- the only profits I've ever made have been for my employer! So I'm the wage slave and you are the capitalist! You'd better apply for the next series: you would clearly be far more likely to meet with Sir Alan's approval than me- he always prefers the shrewd market trader type, with an eye for the good deal, to the airy-fairy academic! [;)]

Don't be so downhearted. You sold your labour to your employer for a healthy profit. That profit is what you use to buy nice bikes and other non-essentials.
  • willski
    willski Posts: 730
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by peterbr</i>

Is it just me or is this publication (hopefully not from the same house as C+) utter bollocks? At best a glossy broucher.

For a start they don't publish any information about how they test although I did hear that they don't double-blind to avoid the embarrasing we rate this œ29.95 DVD player better than some œ2000 job.

In the issue I have, they claim it's worth spending œ50 on a cable to "clean-up digital noise". Please how is this possible in all but a tiny evelope of signal degradation where the error-correction method has to work overtime. Surely the free cable should be expect to work and nopt transmit any serious errors? Then there is the special mains cables where they say, you shouldn't expect this to work "but it does". Really? did you double-blind test?

Then there is a 5-star recommendation for a œ2000 DVD player. No doubt Arcam have done a great job with it, but that amount of money when high-definition will certainly take off by the end of next year? Surely, that kind of investment is absurd?

I really cannot believe I'm reading such bilge. œ3.99 is very nearly a pint and a half.

<hr noshade size="1">
    Elephants - where were they when we were fighting the nazis? Eh? Eh?

It depends which branch of science you employ. If you are using physics (as I think you are) then you are correct - its all a load of tosh. If you try psycology on the other hand, it all changes. If you are of a mind to spend 2 grand on a DVD player, then I'm sure you will "notice" the difference - purely because you believe you have purchased a better product. If you believe in the digital noise in cables, then you will be able to "hear" the improvement of some new ones. So in that sense you've got your money's worth. Top end hi-fi addresses the need of a few people to spend a lot of money.

The rest of us can marvel at how good the cheap stuff is these days - and spend our money on a new saddle with titanium rails (mine definitely makes me faster[;)]).

If I had a baby elephant, I'd write a witty sig line about it - if I had any wit.
    If I had a baby elephant, I\'d write a witty sig line about it - if I had any wit.