Evicted on Big Brother for Racism?

13»

Comments

• Canrider
    Canrider Posts: 2,253
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Also, I've no idea who Andrew Clay is and I fail to see why you've mentioned him<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Probably for comparison purposes.
    Google is your friend

"We will never win until the oil runs out or they invent hover cars - but then they may land on us." -- lardarse rider
    "We will never win until the oil runs out or they invent hover cars - but then they may land on us." -- lardarse rider
  • ankev1
    ankev1 Posts: 3,686
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alecstilleyedye</i>

[<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">monkhouse, being himself jewish, used to do gags which were based on jewish stereotypes. as he is essentially poking fun at his own culture, that is acceptable. jim davidson, on the other hand, does gags based on racial stereotypes and is essencially poking fun at them. charley can say nigger because it relates to her racial group, and in any case was merely saying the word, rather than calling somebody else that.

the word nigger is loaded with master/slave connotations so the use of it by a white middle class girl from the suburbs can carry a significant possibility to cause offence.

if i had a better signature, i'd use that instead
    [/quote]

I think you're overdoing the sensitivity thing there. Anybody can tell a joke about anybody else as long as it is done with genuine humour and even affection i.e. laugh with people rather than at them (unless you're looking for a punch up). I once told a Jewish friend my favourite Jewish joke at which he duly laughed. No harm done.
  • rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> I once told a Jewish friend my favourite Jewish joke at which he duly laughed. No harm done. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Jerry Sadowitz was booed offstage when he sadi:

" I am sensitive about Jewish jokes. Grandad died in Auschwitz. Drunk on duty and fell out of the machine gun tower".
  • redcogs
    redcogs Posts: 3,232
    Warned you Rothbook. Flagged ;-)

<font size="1">please look up to the stars.. </font id="size1"><font size="6"><font color="red">***</font id="red"></font id="size6">
    <font size="1">please look up to the stars.. </font id="size1"><font size="6"><font color="red">***</font id="red"></font id="size6">
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redcogs</i>

Warned you Rothbook. Flagged ;-)

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Lighten up redders - I thought rothbook's joke was a good one. And with a good Jewish name like his, then surely he's entitled to tell it?
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    Rothbooks joke was pretty good. I posted a paedophilia joke on here once to prove a point about PC'ness, bad taste, humour and overreaction. It was removed in under 5 mins by the powers that be!!

SNAPS
  • ankev1
    OK then here's the joke I told to my Jewish mate:

Jewish mother goes to her son's psychiatrist to get an update on how his therapy is progressing and the shrink says:

"Mrs Weiss, I'm afraid he's got an Oedipus complex."

To which she replies:

"Oedipus schmoedipus! Who cares if the boy's got a complex so long as he loves his mother."
  • redcogs
    redcogs Posts: 3,232
    That is quite funny anks'.

:-)

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redcogs</i>

That is quite funny anks'.

:-)

So, you won't flag him will you?
  • alecstilleyedye
    alecstilleyedye Posts: 1,170
    all of which goes to prove that context is king.

riding on my bicycle, i saw a motorcrash…
  • trustysteed
    trustysteed Posts: 1,490
    in the land of racist bigotry, the context is king.

and only context can call a spade a ni**er!

today's baby elephants are tomorrow's circus heroes

today\'s baby elephants are tomorrow\'s circus heroes
  • babyjebus
    babyjebus Posts: 93
    Bob Monkhouse wasn't Jewish, and I don't ever remember him making Jewish jokes a major part of his act. He was from a middle class Methodist background, hence his greatest one-liner 'They laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian. They're not laughing now.'

I once saw Jerry Sadowitz (who is Jewish, as well as being one of the greatest stand-ups ever) tell a well-oiled crowd that 'The Palestinians are a bunch of c***s', causing an American student wearing a fanny pack to stand up and applaud, which he was still doing as Sadowitz followed it with the line 'And the Holocaust never happened either.' Genius.

Judaism as a religion values debate and discussion, two things which fuel humour. Though it can go too far, as Shalom Auslander's brilliant and very funny recent book of short stories 'Beware of God' illustrates.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by babyjebus</i>

Bob Monkhouse wasn't Jewish, and I don't ever remember him making Jewish jokes a major part of his act. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That's interesting as I couldn't remember anything particularly Jewish about his routines. In any event, if you're going to do that sort of thing well, you generally need need to show affinity with the subject matter eg, "The Rabbi called me over and said.............."
  • ankev1
    Bob Monkhouse appears to have been the son of a methodis minister. What now of Alextilleyedye's views of the legitimacy of his telling Jewish jokes? Is perhaps his telling of them suddenly not funny or admissable any more? And why did Alex assume Mr M's Jewishness?

I think we should be told.
  • alecstilleyedye
    i stand corrected! substitiute jackie mason for bob monkhouse in my arguement then[:I]

• Eat My Dust
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ankev1</i>

Bob Monkhouse appears to have been the son of a methodis minister. What now of Alextilleyedye's views of the legitimacy of his telling Jewish jokes? <b>Is perhaps his telling of them suddenly not funny or admissable any more</b>? And why did Alex assume Mr M's Jewishness?

I think we should be told.

I never realised Bob Monkhouse was funny!!

SNAPS
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alecstilleyedye</i>

i stand corrected! substitiute jackie mason for bob monkhouse in my arguement then[:I]

But, surely Jackie Mason was the son of an Episcopalian Bishop? [;)]
  • Absinthe Minded
    Absinthe Minded Posts: 1,351
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">originally posted by alexstilleyedye:

monkhouse, being himself jewish, used to do gags which were based on jewish stereotypes. as he is essentially poking fun at his own culture, that is acceptable. jim davidson, on the other hand, does gags based on racial stereotypes and is essencially poking fun at them. charley can say nigger because it relates to her racial group, <b>and in any case was merely saying the word, rather than calling somebody else that.</b>

the word nigger is loaded with master/slave connotations so the use of it by a white middle class girl from the suburbs can carry a significant possibility to cause offence.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">So, what you're saying is - it's OK for Charley to go around calling herself a 'Nigger', (which is what she did, you're wrong about her just saying the word), do you not think that some black people might find this offensive? i.e. that one of their racial group degrades herself, and in the eyes of some, the rest of her racial group.

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="2"><b><font color="purple">Ja sam napisao ovo ovde samo zbog toga da izgledam pametan...</font id="purple"></b></font id="size2">

<font size="2">See My route to work!</font id="size2">
    <hr><font><b><font>Ja sam napisao ovo ovde samo zbog toga da izgledam pametan...</font></b></font>
    <font>See My route to work!</font>
  • Absinthe Minded
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Eat My Dust:

NO NO NO!!! the skinny legs and massive feet, add into that fake t*ts!!!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Have to disagree, legs are just right and there's nothing wrong with fake tits in my book; what does it matter?

As for her feet - never noticed, are you some kind of weird foot fetishist or something [;)]

P.S. Thanks, Canrider for the wiki link!

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="2"><b><font color="purple">Ja sam napisao ovo ovde samo zbog toga da izgledam pametan...</font id="purple"></b></font id="size2">

<hr><font><b><font>Ja sam napisao ovo ovde samo zbog toga da izgledam pametan...</font></b></font>
  • alecstilleyedye
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Absinthe Minded</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">originally posted by alexstilleyedye:

monkhouse, being himself jewish, used to do gags which were based on jewish stereotypes. as he is essentially poking fun at his own culture, that is acceptable. jim davidson, on the other hand, does gags based on racial stereotypes and is essencially poking fun at them. charley can say nigger because it relates to her racial group, <b>and in any case was merely saying the word, rather than calling somebody else that.</b>

the word nigger is loaded with master/slave connotations so the use of it by a white middle class girl from the suburbs can carry a significant possibility to cause offence.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">So, what you're saying is - it's OK for Charley to go around calling herself a 'Nigger', (which is what she did, you're wrong about her just saying the word), do you not think that some black people might find this offensive? i.e. that one of their racial group degrades herself, and in the eyes of some, the rest of her racial group.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">well if black people are offended when black people say it then it just goes to show how offensive the word really is.

• Eat My Dust
    Have you ever felt fake t*its. They're wrong!!!

SNAPS
  • Absinthe Minded
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by alecstilleyedye:

well if black people are offended when black people say it then it just goes to show how offensive the word really is.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">That doesn't exactly answer my question....

• Absinthe Minded
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eat My Dust</i>

Have you ever felt fake t*its. They're wrong!!!

SNAPS

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">You're obviously not as shallow as I am. [:D]

• Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CometGirl</i>

And indeed she has an agent - which is meant to be against the rules for BB contestants.

I think she was hired by BB to play that part. I haven't watched any of BB in years, but I know a lot of once-obsessed friends are beginning to tire of the brand. What better way to persuade people back into it than by a headline-grabbing race row?

I thought this initially but surely Charley would've had to have been primed to say something first for Emily to act out 'her role'.

What I am sure of is this is about Channel 4 screwing up over the Jade/Shilpa thing and then over-reacting this time. This incident had not been screened and they had already announced to the press that they would show it once uneditted and then editted for the other highlight shows...no doubt to get plenty of ratings.

The BBC were reporting this afternoon that following the screening of the incident last night 922 viewers phoned C4 to complain...all of them were to complain about Emily's eviction.

I'd rather walk than use Shimano.

The older I get, the better my power to weight ratio was.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    i'm sorry, i think Charly is milking it for all it's worth. woe is me, and all that. all this cr@p with her crying is just an act, she's a lot tougher than that and she's just playing the game.

it's quite obvious to me that emily said it because this is what her and her black mates call each other. like my fella sometimes calls his mates a paki (they are all indian) and his mate runs a shop which is very multicultural and they rip the urine out of each other all the time.

emily was a little bit stupid calling charly it, because she didn't know how she would take it, but i don't believe she made it in a racist content, and i don't believe charly was "offended" until she cottoned on how it could go in her favour. it was just a bit of banter and it's the other girls that have blown it up out of all proportion and milked it for all it's worth, knowing how big bro would react.

and big bro have overreacted. the stuff with shilpa was vindictive, this wasn't. big bro need to learn the difference and charly needs a slap.

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia
  • rob35
    rob35 Posts: 62
    I completely agree with Buggi. Its a game and Charly is playing it. Big brother cannot fail but to gain from this forced eviction right or wrong for doing so. The likes of the Sun,Star etc reporting the "scanal" only publicises the programme, (no such thing as bad publicity).I would never call a black person nigger, but if a black rapper wants to call other black people nigger then more fool them.
  • babyjebus
    babyjebus Posts: 93
    I don't understand why anyone is making excuses for this racist, who gave away a rather obvious clue to her racism by using racist epithets to someone of a different race. As racists do. I very much doubt that a dim public schoolgirl from Brizzle actually had any black friends, but I know for certain that she doesn't any more.
    Still, she wasn't chucked out because some shemale lapdancer pretended to be offended, but because she presumably signed a contract making it clear that Endemol and C4 would not countenance any potential racial controversy (for obvious reasons) and yet ignored it. I concede the publicity does no harm for the show (in two weeks we will have all forgotten her anyway) but with forced cancellation a serious threat how else do you expect the makers to react.
  • coming from a very working class background (Northern pit villiage)where people are renouned for being forthright and 'racist' apparently , I hadn't heard the term used since the early 80's and then it was becoming frowned upon to use it, many American 'cop' series/films of the 70's and early 80's seemed to include it ..usually between 'brothers' My 1st more recent hearing of it was in I think pulp fiction but by and large I think it had been forgotten and was no longer used by young people...untill (c)rap music(Gansta) had brought about it's reissue ,now you hear it often between 'White' and 'Black' teenagers to each other and rarely in a offensive way (to them)...you reap what you sow, a whole section of society will now have this term brought back into usuage because of an idiot 'music' minority backed no doubt but not entirely by 'white' executives.

being a reformed stuntdrinker allows pontification
    being a reformed stuntdrinker allows pontification
  • alecstilleyedye
    if charley and, to a lesser extent, nikki and shadnam are using emily's stupid use of language then fair play to them. bb is a GAME SHOW which is there to be won (100k uo for grabs). as a process of elimination it would make sense to me to get rid of an attractive blonde (if i was female) on a freebee early in the piece, especially in a mostly female house.

rather sad to see bb reverting to type by adding in two gay blokes with the house already so unbalanced in the male/female area. cue tedious "only gay in the village" strops and all and sundry bitching about ziggy and chanell. what will we be left with if ziggy gets the boot?