Look 585 /HSC5 riders.... Brake Judder?

SeanT
SeanT Posts: 51
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Is anyone else experiencing brake shudder or judder?

I've done nearly a thousand miles on the Look now, and I've tried all the obvious remedies, adjusted headset, toe brake pads in (and out) I've even lightly sanded the rim join to ensure its perfectly smooth. I'll try a different wheel, and brake calliper this weekend just to rule these out.

It seems to me that when I'm braking the fork is noticeably flexing backwards and forwards (the front hub moving alarmingly) causing the judder. It made for some exciting descents in Majorca a few weeks back. I'm about 12.5 stone 5'10" so I don't think weight is the issue, I'm using Sram Rival brakes and Reynolds Alta Race wheels.

I'm loving the bike otherwise, such a smooth ride.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Sean.

Comments

• get your dealer to look at it and fix for you.
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • wpdoolan
    wpdoolan Posts: 185
    I had the same problem but when I changed front wheel to mavic equipe it went away I originally thought it was just light forks

dont know solution or why wheel does it but try and different front wheel
  • No judder at all with my 585. Ksyrium SL wheels, Record brakes. Perfect. Make sure your headset is adjusted correctly, (which you've already done I note)

Are you using Shiamno brakes? Being a top end frame the designers assumed that everyone would fit the best brakes available i.e. Campagnolo. So they built that into the design parameters. If you're using Shimano, you will have compromised the whole concept and you will almost certainly have braking problems - judder, poor performance, rapid brake wear, squealing and so on.

Hope that helps.

I've been Thamed !!
  • Cyclistm
    Cyclistm Posts: 758
    try borrowing a different set of wheels from a club mate and see if that makes a difference.
  • SeanT
    Thanks for the replies. I'll try my open pros, I'm using Sram Rival brakes, but I have a campag calliper on another bike. I'll try that if I have no luck with the other wheel.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SeanT</i>

Thanks for the replies. I'll try my open pros, I'm using Sram Rival brakes, but I have a campag calliper on another bike. I'll try that if I have no luck with the other wheel.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I waqs only joking about the Campag calpiper. However it is worth checking that the caliper arms are correctly assembled/fastened. Any slop in the pivot bolts would more than likely give brake judder.

I've been Thamed !!
  • SeanT
    I've just tried the Open Pro and no judder, how strange. I'll go for a proper run out tomorrow just to make sure. Well at least I won't have to resort to Campag brakes, I'll just have to put up with the ugly hand built wheels.

Anyone know why the Reynolds rims are so grabby?
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SeanT</i>

I've just tried the Open Pro and no judder, how strange. I'll go for a proper run out tomorrow just to make sure. Well at least I won't have to resort to Campag brakes, I'll just have to put up with the ugly hand built wheels.

Credit Agricole run Shimano brakes, non of that over priced Italian poo.

http://tinyurl.com/332edp
    http://tinyurl.com/2nu7r3
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SeanT</i>

Why not get your wheels trued by a Qualified DT Swiss Wheel builder?
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting