Servicing Keos

Tom Butcher
Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Anyone know if this is possible and if so how to go about it - one of mine has developed a little bit of play and no longer rotates quite as it should.

Warning about well known bike shop removed at request of moderators.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.

Comments

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tom Butcher</i>

Anyone know if this is possible and if so how to go about it - one of mine has developed a little bit of play and no longer rotates quite as it should.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Her's an odd idea. Talk to your LBS where you got it from
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • Steve928
    Steve928 Posts: 314
    I'm currently on the same quest. I'm presuming that they unscrew just like a Shimano SPD pedal does, but I can confirm that an SPD tool doesn't fit the Keo collar, and that the collar is pretty brittle: trying to hold it in a vice wasn't a good idea :( I haven't been able to track down the correct tool as of yet.

<i>
    Her's an odd idea. Talk to your LBS where you got it from</i>
    Yep, definately an odd idea - mine wouldn't have a clue..
  • Your local Look stockist will have it in their workshop. Why mess it up yourself Get a trained expert on it (as you would to rebuild your clutch in a car)
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • Tom Butcher
    I may have to but I prefer to do as much maintenance myself so thought I'd ask on here. It's normally quicker, more satisfying and cheaper to do things yourself. I wasn't planning to mess the job up - hence asking on here how it should be done rather than launching into it with a big adjustable and a hammer.

Yes they did come from a relatively local bike shop along with the bike they are attached to but it's simpler for me to ask on here and it's a bit cheeky expecting a shop to spend time telling customers how to avoid paying for maintenance.

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Build your clutch in your car? Are you kidding or is this just a wind up? I'm not a trained mechanic so i certainly wouldn't undertake this kind of job.

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    If you wanted to rebuild your clutch, you'd buy the Haynes manual and the appropriate tools and spares and get on with it.

Tom wants to know where to get the manual and what spanner he needs, don't see what anyone's problem is with that.

If it were Shimano you could go on their website and get a technical docs PDF which told you these things, but I can't see the equivalent on Look's site.

The closest is that if you look at the KeO Carbon and click on the pictures on the right, the axle one says
    "Axle dismantling for maintenance is possible using a standard 18mm wrench"
    which I just don't get at all, I can't see how an 18mm spanner fits that plastic collar at all...
    [edit - someone below has said a 18mm <i>ring </i>spanner. Now that makes sense, I was thinking of an open-jawed spanner...]

Classics and Sprints have a different lugged collar that no 18mm spanner's ever going to fit.
    - I wonder if this thing does ?
    http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.asp ... ='2412-00'

Time to dig-out the Summer bike (why's it just started raining ? Is it something I said ?)
  • i been trying to find a diagram thingy, but couldn't. but i did find some advice from someone who works for LOOK and its here

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=93546

servicing pedals is not something a shop needs to do, its something anyone can do.
    Sometimes people offering advice to 'visit your local shop' isn't helpful.

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • In my LBS the look keo display says dismantle with standard 18mm ring spanner--does that help?
    Rich.
  • Tom Butcher
    Thanks - I'll have a go with an 18mm spanner then.

• pieinthesky
    pieinthesky Posts: 417
    I have just looked at my Keos and it looks like a "double hex" ring spanner might fit.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Different Keos have different requirements. My Carbons use the 18 mm spanner as mentioned above, but I think the Classics on my Winter bike need a special Look tool. All theory, but I'm sure its what it said either on the packaging or the Look website.

You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Agreed. I haven't tried it, but it looks like a 18mm <i>ring </i>spanner might fit the Carbons, but there must be a special tool for the Classics & Sprints
    - maybe this thing ?
    http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.asp ... ='2412-00'
  • I have used a pair of adjustable pipe grips to dismantle my standard look pedals, but they tend to slip and mark the nut.They have to be done up really tight to eliminate play-on my pedals the outer bearing is sealed ,don't know what the inner one is . Oh, and they have opposite threads-the LH pedal unscrews anticlockwise-normal RH thread, and the RH pedal unscrews clockwise,LH thread.
    The special tool pictured above used to be sold by Wiggle and Parker,but who needs a special tool when you have a monkey wrench!!
    Rich.