Oooh, me bum...

Cab
Cab Posts: 770
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
Made a bad mistake yesterday.

Pootling along to work, saw a bin lorry and blokes dragging wheelie bins to it, looked over shoulder, pulled out to go past, saw that in front of the bin lorry were three vehicles. Looked parked to me (right on the kerb), so started to go past on the outside... when they started to move and pull further out... So, I'm going to reach the junction and be in an insane road position.

Hit brakes, skidded, stopped with feet on the ground and bike frame bashing into my arse. Hurt at the time.

Oh, well, thats the nearest I've come to falling off for quite some time! I suppose what startled me was that there are often a couple of cars parked just like that on that road, the position of those cars made it look rather like they were parked.

My own mistake. Happens.

<i>Free baby elephants for every citizen</i>
Vote Arch for Prime Minister

Comments

• DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    can happen to anyone, misreading a situation, you see the vehicle but fail to guess what its actually going to do. At least you DID see the vehicle there and were looking [:D].
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    Got home last night and went through the front gate, was feeling slightly too cocky I guess, my feet were in the opposite position to how I normally clip out but thought "I can do it", did an attempted trackstandy kind of manoeuvre to close the gate while going through still on the bike and totally lost balance and ended up falling into the big bush in the front garden over onto my back with the bike above my head still clipped in. Took me ages to get my feet out as well too. I don't think anyone saw this time, but very embarrassing and humbling all the same! [:D]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Rhode Island Medical Marijuana
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • magnatom
    magnatom Posts: 492
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>

Got home last night and went through the front gate, was feeling slightly too cocky I guess, my feet were in the opposite position to how I normally clip out but thought "I can do it", did an attempted trackstandy kind of manoeuvre to close the gate while going through still on the bike and totally lost balance and ended up falling into the big bush in the front garden over onto my back with the bike above my head still clipped in. Took me ages to get my feet out as well too. I don't think anyone saw this time, but very embarrassing and humbling all the same! [:D]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Now this is another good reason to have a helmet camera, so you could properly share this experience with us all [:p][:D]
  • Tynancp
    Tynancp Posts: 160
    excellent

second day with clipless, superb, wish I'd used them years ago
  • miffedcp
    miffedcp Posts: 315
    brilliant, by the way about the skidding, and hitting your arse. Its better if instead of pulling the bike up towards you you skid it sideways looks classier and is less painful
  • Cab
    Cab Posts: 770
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by miffed</i>

brilliant, by the way about the skidding, and hitting your arse. Its better if instead of pulling the bike up towards you you skid it sideways looks classier and is less painful
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The sideways skid hurts less if you stay upright, however I wasn't sure I'd have room for a sideways skid so I stayed going forward. But yeah, the sidewards skid does ooze a lot more style.

What made it worse is that the frame hit right in the middle, between the cheeks as it were. Never been bruised <i>there</i> before! [:0][B)]

<i>Free baby elephants for every citizen</i>
    Vote Arch for Prime Minister
  • Nasty, glad you're ok cab.