Evicted on Big Brother for Racism?

Comments

• Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    The BBC news had Narinda the annoying BB expert who was on a previous show, and she was going on about how every series of BB someone had suffered from racist slurs but it had just never been shown. Now, does that show that as a nation, there is underlying racism in us all?

SNAPS
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by spire</i>
    But as we know, the main objective of the PC Brigade is to take offence on behalf of others.

That being said, i would never condone the use of the N word, which I do consider deeply offensive.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

No irony at all here, then?

Unless you're Derek Laud and I can claim my œ500...

I think Emily's kind of 'educated' but ignorant white middle class stupidity is particularly common (we have enough of this type of character at my university)... At this point, I think it's worth reminding ourselves of possibly the best parody ever in this area:

http://www.blackpeopleloveus.com

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • Canrider
    Canrider Posts: 2,253
    I thought the bloke they had on at the same time was a waste of space: 'Don't show me it, just sweep it under the rug and get rid of the offending party, no, don't give us any context we don't want to be bothered!'. As if all the BB fans (spit) wouldn't be climbing the walls trying to find out the details of what actually took place.
    He did get one thing right, however: She definitely seemed to be trying to use it in a street-slang way, albeit completely ignorant of the fact that she's about as 'street' as my grandmother is. [V]

"We will never win until the oil runs out or they invent hover cars - but then they may land on us." -- lardarse rider
    "We will never win until the oil runs out or they invent hover cars - but then they may land on us." -- lardarse rider
  • spire
    spire Posts: 4,077
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flying_Monkey</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by spire</i>
    But as we know, the main objective of the PC Brigade is to take offence on behalf of others.

That being said, i would never condone the use of the N word, which I do consider deeply offensive.

No irony at all here, then?

Even the PC Brigade are right sometimes![;)][:D]
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    They think coz they listen to The Streets and Jamie T. that they have some connection to black culture...

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • thomasb
    thomasb Posts: 631
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Should she qualify as one of the stupidest contestants ever?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Saw about 2 minutes of the first day of BB . Emily was entering the house. The summariser said:
    'Emily rates herself ten out of ten for intelligence. She is going to vote Conservative at the next election. Her favourite word is "hoodwink"'

I thought, 'you can be my scriptwriter any day'.
  • Canrider
    To be fair (yes I was forced to watch the, er, 'insertion' of contestants), all of them were asked to rate themselves 10/10 on some subject. IIRC 'Looks' featured rather highly for many of the contestants.

• alecstilleyedye
    alecstilleyedye Posts: 1,170
    having viewed the whole incident i reluctantly have to admit that channel 4 did the right thing. although no offence was meant, the word clearly unsettled some of the other housemates and would undoubtedly caused offence among some members of the viewing public.

as bb rules (remember that this is a gameshow) specifically prohibit this sort of racially emotive language, she has only herself to blame for getting chucked out. thus, any debate about the heavy hand of the pc brigade is largely irrelevant in this case.

if i had a better signature, i'd use that instead
    riding on my bicycle, i saw a motorcrash…
  • Canrider
    Oh man, alecstill.. I just noticed your 'location' text. ROFL!

• alecstilleyedye
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Canrider</i>

Oh man, alecstill.. I just noticed your 'location' text. ROFL!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">ooh ta[:I]

• ankev1
    ankev1 Posts: 3,686
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alecstilleyedye</i>

having viewed the whole incident i reluctantly have to admit that channel 4 did the right thing. although no offence was meant, the word clearly unsettled some of the other housemates and would undoubtedly caused offence among some members of the viewing public.

as bb rules (remember that this is a gameshow) specifically prohibit this sort of racially emotive language, she has only herself to blame for getting chucked out. thus, any debate about the heavy hand of the pc brigade is largely irrelevant in this case.

What you post is completely sensible. What it does mean, however, is that the programme is completely anodyne "entertainment" and there is surely no way on earth C4 can bill it as some sort of "reality" TV. If that were the case - and I seem to remember some sort of ludicrous claim that it was some sort of sociological experiment - they would have to allow such insults and see how the candidates(?) dealt with them.

So, convention dictates that n**ger is a taboo word and people have usually been prepared to accept some sort of censorship on TV (it being in people's homes and all). Now what about f**k and similar words which a lot of people (mostly of the older generation I would guess) would find offensive? Shouldn't they be banned too?
  • Absinthe Minded
    Absinthe Minded Posts: 1,351
    OK, so it's clear that C4 evicted Emily from the house because she said 'Nigger', not because she's offended anybody in the house - this has been made pretty clear.

Sure, people were shocked (and said as much), but nobody said that they were offended. So, it would seem that Emily was removed from the house because she may have caused offence to the viewing public. If this is the case, why was Charley not evicted too?

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="2"><b><font color="purple">Ja sam napisao ovo ovde samo zbog toga da izgledam pametan...</font id="purple"></b></font id="size2">

<font size="2">See My route to work!</font id="size2">
    <hr><font><b><font>Ja sam napisao ovo ovde samo zbog toga da izgledam pametan...</font></b></font>
    <font>See My route to work!</font>
  • ankev1
    Thanks for answering the question I posed earlier. So nobody in the house was offended. That, IMO, is what matters and again IMO she should most definitely not have been evicted.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ankev1</i>

Thanks for answering the question I posed earlier. So nobody in the house was offended. That, IMO, is what matters and again IMO she should most definitely not have been evicted.

In any event entering the BB house is a bit like entering a boxing bout and complaining that your opponent has hit you. You volunteer to be cooped up with a bunch of nutty misfits and it rather goes with the territory that the behavior is going to be pretty vile.

After all, it would hardly make good TV if FM and I were cooped up together, both being extremely polite to each other!
  • ankev1
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ankev1</i>

In any event entering the BB house is a bit like entering a boxing bout and complaining that your opponent has hit you. You volunteer to be cooped up with a bunch of nutty misfits and it rather goes with the territory that the behavior is going to be pretty vile.

<b>After all, it would hardly make good TV if FM and I were cooped up together, both being extremely polite to each other</b>!

Christ almighty! Bring back the test card, quick!
  • alecstilleyedye
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Absinthe Minded</i>

OK, so it's clear that C4 evicted Emily from the house because she said 'Nigger', not because she's offended anybody in the house - this has been made pretty clear.

Sure, people were shocked (and said as much), but nobody said that they were offended. So, it would seem that Emily was removed from the house because she may have caused offence to the viewing public. If this is the case, <b>why was Charley not evicted too?</b>

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="2"><b><font color="purple">Ja sam napisao ovo ovde samo zbog toga da izgledam pametan...</font id="purple"></b></font id="size2">

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">for the same reason that bob monkhouse could tell hilarious jewish jokes without causing offence. for him to do so was to laugh at his own expense. andrew "dice" clay, on the other hand is a racist bigot who peddles a real lowest common denominator range of "jokes" about various races/minorities.

context is all.

• papercorn2000
    papercorn2000 Posts: 4,517
    I assume from this post that you haven't read any of the preceding thread.

God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
  • gillan1969
    gillan1969 Posts: 3,119
    yup

i can just imagine her and her mates presumably the rugger bu**ers

i feel that they have not ventured out their little social group before

its this social ghettoisation which our selective schools only perpetuate...if you never mix with other social and econiomic groups how are you meant to build any empathy into your character????

sad really

www.squadraporcini.com
  • alecstilleyedye
    just to clarify, one post between mine and papercorn200's last posts has been pulled, to which ppc2k's response was quite understandable.

• CometGirl
    CometGirl Posts: 2,681
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gillan1969</i>

yup

its this social ghettoisation which our selective schools only perpetuate...if you never mix with other social and econiomic groups how are you meant to build any empathy into your character????

sad really

www.squadraporcini.com

She was at drama school, Gillan.
  • CometGirl
    And indeed she has an agent - which is meant to be against the rules for BB contestants.

I think she was hired by BB to play that part. I haven't watched any of BB in years, but I know a lot of once-obsessed friends are beginning to tire of the brand. What better way to persuade people back into it than by a headline-grabbing race row?
  • papercorn2000
    papercorn2000 Posts: 4,517
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alecstilleyedye</i>

just to clarify, one post between mine and papercorn200's last posts has been pulled, to which ppc2k's response was quite understandable.

Thanks for that![:D][:I]

• Eat My Dust
    When they were kicking her out last night they read a statement that said that any comments causing offence to housemates or the <i>viewing public</i> would be delt with seriously. Every time Charly opens her mouth I'm offended, so does she have to go now!!

SNAPS
  • Absinthe Minded
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">originally posted by alecstilleyedye:

for the same reason that bob monkhouse could tell hilarious jewish jokes without causing offence. for him to do so was to laugh at his own expense. andrew "dice" clay, on the other hand is a racist bigot who peddles a real lowest common denominator range of "jokes" about various races/minorities.

context is all.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">What were the context of Monkhouse's jokes? Did he joke about anything that might offend Jewish viewers (in the way that the word 'Nigger' might offend blacks), or were his jokes centred around light-hearted stuff?

Also, I've no idea who Andrew Clay is and I fail to see why you've mentioned him (maybe I've missed something earlier in the thread).

<hr><font><b><font>Ja sam napisao ovo ovde samo zbog toga da izgledam pametan...</font></b></font>
  • ankev1
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gillan1969</i>

yup

sad really

www.squadraporcini.com

People from all classes of society stay in their own groups (ghettoes if you insist) and in my experience the lower down the social/educational scale you go, the greater the chance of encountering bigotted and closed minds. I think you allow your archaic political leanings to dominate your views: anybody but the working classes is obviously in the wrong. They're all as bad and as good as each other.
  • Absinthe Minded
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Eat My Dust:

Every time Charly opens her mouth I'm offended, so does she have to go now!!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I hear you, what a pain in the ar<i></i>se she is..... but what a body.....

• CometGirl
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eat My Dust</i>

When they were kicking her out last night they read a statement that said that any comments causing offence to housemates or the <i>viewing public</i> would be delt with seriously. Every time Charly opens her mouth I'm offended, so does she have to go now!!

SNAPS

Yeah - the <u>viewing</u> public though, i.e. anyone dim enough to watch it so probably not easily offended.

*inadvertently offends entire forum*

[:p]
  • Eat My Dust
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Absinthe Minded</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Eat My Dust:

Every time Charly opens her mouth I'm offended, so does she have to go now!!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I hear you, what a pain in the ar<i></i>se she is..... but what a body.....

NO NO NO!!! the skinny legs and massive feet, add into that fake t*ts!!![xx(][xx(]

SNAPS
  • alecstilleyedye

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">originally posted by alecstilleyedye:

for the same reason that bob monkhouse could tell hilarious jewish jokes without causing offence. for him to do so was to laugh at his own expense. andrew "dice" clay, on the other hand is a racist bigot who peddles a real lowest common denominator range of "jokes" about various races/minorities.

context is all.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">What were the context of Monkhouse's jokes? Did he joke about anything that might offend Jewish viewers (in the way that the word 'Nigger' might offend blacks), or were his jokes centred around light-hearted stuff?

Also, I've no idea who Andrew Clay is and I fail to see why you've mentioned him (maybe I've missed something earlier in the thread).

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">monkhouse, being himself jewish, used to do gags which were based on jewish stereotypes. as he is essentially poking fun at his own culture, that is acceptable. jim davidson, on the other hand, does gags based on racial stereotypes and is essencially poking fun at them. charley can say nigger because it relates to her racial group, and in any case was merely saying the word, rather than calling somebody else that.

the word nigger is loaded with master/slave connotations so the use of it by a white middle class girl from the suburbs can carry a significant possibility to cause offence.

• Eat My Dust
    BTW did anybody see George Galloway on BB's Big Mouth the other night when he made the comment about something being better "..than having to go down on Anne Widdecombe" I nearly sprayed my red wine all over the TV. I usualy can't stand the man, but that certainly made me laugh!!

SNAPS