Is it fear

tiny_pens
tiny_pens Posts: 293
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
I've moved to a new job and new house recently (outside London incidently). In my old place I had the luxury of a large garage allowing me to keep 2 bikes, motorbike and car inside. I no longer have this room and its looking like I'll have to drop down to a single bike (already got rid of the car so can't make this trade off).

The new job is a lot closer so I'll be looking to cycle every day but as town is further than I would like to walk, I'll still be wanting to ride into town when I go out for the evening or to pick up groceries.

So the question is, do I sell my expensive commuter bike (spesh tricross) and buy something cheaper or am I just being put off by the fear of crime rather than the true statistics? Essentially is a more expensive bike more likely to be stolen than a cheap one (or is it more to do with the level of security)?

Incidently I'm also worried about the bike being vandalised. Anyone ever had their bike vandalised (as opposed to stolen) whilst left for a couple of hours in town?

Cheers Tiny Pens

Comments

• Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    The theiving gits will take anything. Why should you have to sell your nice bike just incase some as*hole wants to steal it. Get it insured and ride it!!

SNAPS
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    What Dust said. Enjoy the loveliness of a good bike between your legs, dammit. Insure it, use a good lock, and ride. Noone who has tasted good bikes should be forced to go back to a manky Apollo hybrid just out of fear. That's cruel.

<font size="1">
    <b>No longer looking for a pennyfarthing as I've got some powerbocks instead. Casualty here I come!</b>
    It is by will alone I set my ride in motion.</font id="size1">
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    Thanks for the suggestions. So the next question is who do people get their insurance with? I had a search on the web and with the exception of the CTC, most places I found had lots of clauses about taking your bike out at night times (the best one being that you weren't covered if your bike was out of the place of residence between the hours of 9pm and 6am - reminds me of the young driver insurance thing)

Thanks in advance,

Tiny Pens

Actually don't worry about this (unless you have a really good lead). I've had a search through the forums and found a few leads.

Tiny
  • M & S Home Insurance - hopefully that's what your search threw up? I'd recommend them (although that said I've not had to make a claim in the three years I've insured with them).
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eat My Dust</i>

The theiving gits will take anything. Why should you have to sell your nice bike just incase some as*hole wants to steal it. Get it insured and ride it!!

SNAPS

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    And buy two œ100 locks.

<b>You're not the boss of me.</b>
    This post contains traces of nuts.