The worst part of my commute

BlackandBlue
BlackandBlue Posts: 1,467
edited December 1969 in Commuting chat
Is the final stretch to my office. This morning is a classic example.

1. I am shouted at by a taxi driver for daring to go straight on over a junction as he was trying to turn right from the opposite direction across my path.

2. Motorbikes and scooters tearing up the bus lane northbound over Blackfriars Bridge. I don't really have much of an issue with this but I do object to the way they swerve into the cycle lane without looking in order to get into the ASL. One scooterist this morning did just that and then tried to squeeze through all of the bikes and motorbikes parked in the ASL. What for? I was behind him and decided to encourage him further on his quest by shouting "Go on, a bit further!" which he obligingly kept doing. I shouted it at him again as he sat in a queue of stationary cars 300 yards after the lights but this time he didn't seem able to oblige.

3. Peds crossing the road without looking. It really amazes me that they think they are impervious to any vehicle or bike that may be travelling across their path.

4. A lorry travelling in the opposite direction in the middle of the road decides to stray right across onto the opposite side of the road aiming directly at me. I refused to pull over so he had to stop. He shouted something at me but I had already gone round him so couldn't hear what he was saying. Really not sure what his point was.

I suppose my point (if you've managed to read this far) is why some people make such an effort to put other people out of their way for the sake of no or little extra progress.

And despite what you might be thinking from the tone of this post, I am in fact really calm. Just thought I'd share...

Comments

• chuckles
    chuckles Posts: 44
    Don't worry about it B&B, they are just bored ****less and frustrated in their vehicles and so amuse themselves by playing silly little games with other people. Just learn to play along too or ignore.

Chuckles
    Chuckles
  • BlackandBlue
    BlackandBlue Posts: 1,467
    Thanks, Chuckles. I do play along or ignore mostly. Like the game with the scooterist. It made me smile that he would keep going. I don't know whether he was following my encouragement or whether he would have continued to press through in any event - all for nothing.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I had 2 this morning:

1st/ Me doing about 30mph, car coming towards me decides he's parking on my side of the road. Result, emergency braking from both of us. very close to head on collision.

2nd/ Merc overtakes cyclist on the other side of the road, giving them <i>loads</i> of room, which may sound like a good thing, but only if they don't nearly wipe out the cyclist (me) coming the other way.

Can't drivers SEE!!!!!!!

SNAPS
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eat My Dust</i>

Can't drivers SEE!!!!!!!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">From my extensive experience most can but some can't!

I had a great one with a Police van in Earlsfield this morning. Full blues and twos and I got from the Wandsworth Road to Garratt Lane much quicker than she did. Don't they do the knowledge? [;)]