Wheel Magnets for Flat Bladed Spokes?

overthehill
overthehill Posts: 32
edited June 2007 in Workshop
The magnet supplied with my ksyrium wheels is not detected by my Shimano Flightdeck sensor. Despite moving it up and down/to and fro about the sensor, I get virtually nothing. It might work for a couple of minutes sometimes but that's it. I attached the Shimano-supplied magnets, which is a lot bigger to one of the spokes with masking tap. Hey presto - all is fine.

Obviously I can't really ride around like this as it would fall off, and there isn't really any way of fixing that magnet to the wheel. So I think I have two choices. Firstly to buy another Mavic magnet, in the hope that the one I have is just dodgy - or better still to try and find a different type that is bigger and more powerful. Does anyone know of anything that might fit the bill?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    Any magnet should work - are your sure yours is close enough? You can buy small magnets from the likes of Maplin that you could just bond to your spoke - try getting a small magnet and taping it to the spoke to see if it works
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    I use a Cateye magnet on my Eurus wheels. It will definately fit on your Mavic.
  • maddog_2cp
    maddog_2cp Posts: 73
    wiggle do magnets for bladed spokes

<font size="1"><font color="purple">
    Drop bars are a historical accident...... discuss</font id="purple"></font id="size1">
    Drop bars are a historical accident...... discuss
  • Cheers folks. There's a Maplins just down the road from where I work, so I'll try that first. (Tried <i>everything</i> for about an hour last night - I've gone so close that the magnet/sensor rub together, but to no avail. And I've the same set up on other bikes, but can just use the Shimano-supplied magnet, due to different spokes).
  • chuckles
    chuckles Posts: 44
    I bought a Mavic magnet that fitted lovely to the flat spokes but did not register with my Polar CS200 at all despite seeming to be stronger, (yes, I have tried everything). Have now had to reattach the original magnet and twist the spoke around slightly to get it working which is not ideal obviously but seems to work.

Chuckles
    Chuckles
  • SDP
    SDP Posts: 665
    go & look on ebay ( i entered Zipp & magnet )

i got 5 from germany for about œ4 inc P&P ..tiny magnets & i glued them onto flat spoke & wrapped a bit oif tape as well.. works perfick with the flightdeck ..

www.mjsracing.net
  • My ES came with a Mavic bladed spoke magnet and worked fine with Flightdeck.

Does the sensor sense other magnets? Is the battery Ok?

Regards

Alan
  • Markta
    Markta Posts: 767
    The Mavic sensor magnet that came with my ESs works a treat on my S720i speed sensor...

You've probably already considered this but maybe worth a mention - apart from the magnet being close enough, have you tweaked the up/down alignment to make sure the magnet is transmitting to the sweet spot of the sensor?

http://mrkta.myphotoalbum.com/albums.php
  • Rouleur
    Rouleur Posts: 30
    Daft as this may seem, try increasing the gap. My mavic magnets dont work unless they are more than 5mm away. Suspect a stronger flux density may lengthen the pulse to much for the 'puter to register.

Thank God for Atheists!
    Thank God for Atheists!
  • Well I went for the Maplins solution. Works a treat. New magnet for the princely sum of œ1.41 from the components counter and a bit of insulating tape (which I'll replace with a dab of glue on the spoke at some point).