commuting times

peteccp
peteccp Posts: 4
edited December 1969 in Commuting chat
Hi Everyone,
I'm new, to cycling and the forum, so please be kind.
I am thinking of commuting through a large UK city by bike. Is there any reliable figure for average speed?
In other words how long do you think it will take to do 2 miles, 5 miles etc

Many thanks,

Peter

Comments

• Sh4rkybloke
    Sh4rkybloke Posts: 209
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by petec</i>

I'm new, to cycling and the forum, so please be kind.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Looks like you stumbled into the wrong place for kindness!! [;)]

Seriously though, there's no average time for any distance. It depends on number of red lights (assuming you choose to obey them of course!), terrain (tow path / road etc.) and the state of both you and the bike.

It takes me about 22 mins for my 7 mile commute. Reasonably flat, lots of traffic and lights.

Welcome to the forum, btw. [:)]

Nothing in life is foolproof, fools are ingenious

• Hi Peter, that is an impossible question to answer as there are so many things to take into consideration

ie how fit are you, what type of bike are you riding, what tyres will you be using, how many sets of lights are there, how windy is it, how many hills are there.

My e bay bargain œ 31.05
    http://tinyurl.com/366awv

My commuting bike
  • Small Fish
    Small Fish Posts: 84
    As said before it's a very vague question you ask - I'd say 22 mins for 7 miles is at the the fast end of reasonable and if you are beginner it could be more like 30 to 40 mins.
    My 3.25 mile cycle takes me about 10-12 mins depending on wind, my mood etc - but my 'front door to desk' time is more like 20 mins by the time I've got the bike out, locked it up at work, got washed and changed etc.
  • Cab
    Cab Posts: 770
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by petec</i>
    In other words how long do you think it will take to do 2 miles, 5 miles etc
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

As others have said, its hard to say. Try riding the route, then add some extra time for how long it would take at rush hour.

<i>Free baby elephants for every citizen</i>
    Vote Arch for Prime Minister
  • chuckles
    chuckles Posts: 44
    Hi there,

I think it would be fair to say that the 19 and 19.5 mph average speeds being quoted above are at the very top end of the scale. Modesty aside, I am a Cat 2 road racer and accomplished TT'er, have never been overtaken by another cyclist in anger and often do not get up to these av. speeds on my commute through heavily congested London streets.

For a total beginner you should feel proud of yourself if you get above 12 mph average.

Chuckles
    Chuckles
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chuckles</i>

Hi there,

I think it would be fair to say that the 19 and 19.5 mph average speeds being quoted above are at the very top end of the scale. Modesty aside, I am a Cat 2 road racer and accomplished TT'er, have never been overtaken by another cyclist in anger and often do not get up to these av. speeds on my commute through heavily congested London streets.

For a total beginner you should feel proud of yourself if you get above 12 mph average.

Chuckles

I agree chuckles, I'm a bit suspicious. I very very rarely get overtaking by anything other by motorised vehicles and on a very good day can do my 13 miles commute in 45 mins (average 17.3mph), but usually more like 50 mins (average 15.6 mph)

SNAPS
  • peteccp
    Thanks all for replying,
    You seem to very civilised and kind.
    Looks like the consensus so far is between 10 and 15 mph realistically.

So for 5 miles 20 - 30 minutes? + packing and unpacking - door to door 25 - 35 minutes?

But it also seems if I can find a route with lots of off road sections or dedicated, and therefore no lights i might get nearer the 20 minutes.

Seems doable,

Many thanks again

Peter
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965

Thanks all for replying,

So for 5 miles 20 - 30 minutes? + packing and unpacking - door to door 25 - 35 minutes?

But it also seems if I can find a route with lots of off road sections or dedicated, and therefore no lights i might get nearer the 20 minutes.

Seems doable,

Many thanks again

Peter

I would say that would realistic, but don't worry about it. People who time their commutes, average speeds, calories, are just lacking in something[:I][:o)][;)]

SNAPS
  • Small Fish
    In response to the suspicions, I said it takes me 10 to 12 minutes - which works I average between 16.25 and 19.5 mph not that I average 19.5 every day - I manage it in 10 mins or slightly under 2 or 3 times a month.

This is me timing it on my watch and the distance is what my car measures when I've driven in, not a claim for some officially validated world record.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by petec</i>

Thanks all for replying,

Perhaps not the case. Off road sections tend to be slower. You also need to be a little circumspect about your speed on these sections as you will probably be sharing the space with peds, dogs, dogs with a dozey pedesrian on a lead and that worst nightmare of all - other cyclists.

--
    <font color="red"><b>Basil W Brush</b></font id="red">
    --
    <font><b>Basil W Brush</b></font>
  • Cab
    Cab Posts: 770

Thanks all for replying,

Yep, but be careful with your assumptions. In a 2 mile stretch with loads of traffic lights your average speed can be way slower than that. In a stretch with no lights and a good road you might be faster.

<i>Free baby elephants for every citizen</i>
    Vote Arch for Prime Minister
  • peteccp
    Thanks again everyone,

This is very interesting, I don't think I am obsessing about commute times, just trying to decide how realistic my plan is. It involves a move to another city so I cannot go and try it easily. If you had said allow an hour for 5 miles I would have to reconsider, but i need to go and try it in situ obviously.

I would be prepared to put up with longer times if it did not involve cars.

Another thought that occurrs is; do the distances people have mentioned mean on the ground, or as the crow flies from a map? How are you all assessing the distance you cycle?

Peter
  • Small Fish
    In that case it's worth you taking a longer term view because however long it takes when you start you can only get quicker.

I'm sure everyone measures by the actual route taken - curiosity about my own route led me to just find out about this:-
    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
    which allows you to plot your route and see how long it is (you need to click 'more options' and select UK before you search) Turns out my route is 3.178 miles...
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by petec</i>

Another thought that occurrs is; do the distances people have mentioned mean on the ground, or as the crow flies from a map? How are you all assessing the distance you cycle?

Cycle computer so distance travelled. When I first started to commute it used to take me 70 mins for my 14.5 miles. Having done this now for some time and changing my bike etc I now average 52 mins and have on 1 ocassion managed to do it in 43 mins. I would add that my route is flat mainly country roads and I only have 1 set of major lights to contend with. Just go for it, it is a lot easier and quicker than you think.

My e bay bargain œ 31.05

My commuting bike
  • d_c
    d_c Posts: 108
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eat My Dust</i>
    People who time their commutes, average speeds, calories, are just lacking in something[:I][:o)][;)]

Some of us just want to know just how much extra time we can get in bed without being noticeably late [:D]

-> flow with the go ->
    -> flow with the go ->
  • Totalnewbie
    Totalnewbie Posts: 932
    I have only done my commute a few times, and so far its taken me 30 mins to do 5 miles. That's because my bike is old and heavy, I'm unfit and take it quite easy, and there are numerous lights which I obey (including a filter light that takes ages to change). I expect that time to go down a bit once I'm a bit more used to it though (and once that damned filter light has gone!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/ ... 400572.jpg
  • Sh4rkybloke
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chuckles</i>

I think it would be fair to say that the 19 and 19.5 mph average speeds being quoted above are at the very top end of the scale.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Outrageous - you doubt me?!? [;)]

Okay, I hadn't actually thought about the speed (no computer on my new bike yet)... but your comment made me wonder...

I plotted the route on the link suggested, and then realised that it was from a slightly different location (after a game of 5-a-side near to where I work) so the actual route is 5.748 miles (we'll call it 5.75 shall we) thus making the 20 mins (ish - it was just against my watch) gives me a more plausible 17.25mph.

I'm ashamed and should be tortured for spouting such rubbish. [:(]

• Sh4rkybloke
    In my defence I thought the improved time was due to being nicely warmed up (pumped!) and the traffic was very light as it was about 7.30pm instead of rush hour... never actually considered that the game was as far away as that from work and so the distance would be so much different.

I may even check the distance I ride to work on the same website and actually find I'm plodding along as it's not as far as I thought!! [:D]
    Yup, seems my computer on my other bike is set incorrectly and it's only 6.15 miles to work. <sigh>

• Unless you're going over steep hills 10 mph is going to be doable almost regardless of bike and fitness. Go for it! I've probably reduced my commute time by about a third in 18 months (new bike included) so you'll have something to look forward to.
    No chain, no gain
  • My commute in for 7 miles (slightly up hill and don't want to get sweaty) is done at 14-14.5 mph but the return is done at 15.5-18 mph but that's a clear run with only one roundabout and two sets of lights.
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    Increasing fitness makes a massive difference. 5 years ago I used to do a 12.5 miles commute in 45 minutes to 1 hour, including stopping at lights etc., depending on the conditions. I can now do my almost 20 mile long commute in between 50 minutes and 1 hour 5 minutes, or my 10 mile direct version in 30 minutes or less. This is Tyneside not London, and no serious hills either... but I do go for it sometimes.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    I use my commute as a weight maintenance regime, killing two birds with one stone (bad pun I know!)

I can lesiurely do the trip in an hour, but if I really push I can shave 10 minutes off that, but it is less enjoyable.

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flying_Monkey</i>

Increasing fitness makes a massive difference. 5 years ago I used to do a 12.5 miles commute in 45 minutes to 1 hour, including stopping at lights etc., depending on the conditions. I can now do my almost 20 mile long commute in between 50 minutes and 1 hour 5 minutes, or my 10 mile direct version in 30 minutes or less.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I trust that you are still stopping at the lights FM. [;)]