Diana

Mark Alexander
Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
edited June 2007 in Campaign
Here goes the can of worms

Still nothing cleared up.
Having now seen the shots released and the programme tonight, my opinion, they were blown out of all proportion. They were not shocking or insensative. It sounds like the 'worst' of them will never be seen, I hope.

my elephant has more memory than my PC
http://twitter.com/mgalex
www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business

Comments

• Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    It was a very reasonable, general respectful documentary about the paparazzi on the night. The criticisms, as I had suspected, seem to have made by 1. ultra-conservatives, 2. obsessive Diana fans, 3. Fayed's people, and 4. people who hadn't seen the programme. It just made me wish someone would get Mohammed Fayed to shut up and stop dragging this up again and again and again, instead of accepting that his own drunk employee killed his son and his girlfriend.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • Mark Alexander
    I don't think it was sensationalised Another C4 production done well. it was conducted as a mater of fact.

This is Britain and it will always raise emotions for years and decades to come.

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Dianna who?

--
    <font color="red"><b>Basil W Brush</b></font id="red">
    --
    <font><b>Basil W Brush</b></font>
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bloke on a bike</i>

Dianna who?

--

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Dors.

Nobody ever got laid because they were using Shimano
  • papercorn2000
    papercorn2000 Posts: 4,517
    Diana Dors is dead?

God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
  • Mark Alexander
    Is one mocking one

• Fnaar
    Fnaar Posts: 1,985
    Has anyone checked out the view form Le Knoll De L'Herbe? Or La Repositoire des Libres? [:0]

<b><font color="blue"><font face="Comic Sans MS">kinckers kanckers konckers</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="blue"></b> [:D]
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Smokin Joe</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bloke on a bike</i>

Dianna who?

--

Dors.

Nobody ever got laid because they were using Shimano

Diana Dors was sh*gging a dodo in a Merc in paris?

22nd March can't come soon enough, neither can 26th May 2007

Carbon Footprint what Carbon Footprint?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    I watched that, briefly - prety dodgy the way they locked the french photographers up for 2 days solid in a neon cell without a bed and confiscated ALL the negatives.
    I reckon they knew they were the only ones who knew the whole truth, and they couldn't neutralise them because it would look even more uber-dodgy than it did already, so they had to employ some psychological trickery on them in order to brainwash them.
  • Mark Alexander
    ye, haaaaa
    Our 1st conspiracy theorist of the evening.

• rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    In photos I've seen she had a facial wound and was reported as saying "Oh my God, what happened". Death was caused by the rapid deceleration as I understand it, her aorta was torn I think. She was a brilliant woman and a surprisingly inventive lover, sadly missed.
  • ankev1
    ankev1 Posts: 3,686
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flying_Monkey</i>

It was a very reasonable, general respectful documentary about the paparazzi on the night. The criticisms, as I had suspected, seem to have made by 1. ultra-conservatives, 2. obsessive Diana fans, 3. Fayed's people, and 4. people who hadn't seen the programme. It just made me wish someone would get Mohammed Fayed to shut up and stop dragging this up again and again and again, instead of accepting that his own drunk employee killed his son and his girlfriend.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

According to the German TV news last night, her two sons also asked for the programme not to be shown. Irrespective of what one thinks of royalty I find it sad that no-one, in an age where people constantly bang on about "sensitivity" seems to take their feelings into account. Surely their wishes must count for something, despite the fact that she was sucha very public figure.
  • willski
    willski Posts: 730
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flying_Monkey</i>

I would add a number 5 to your list; Channel 4 Publicity people looking to maximise the viewing figures for an otherwise unremarkable documentary.

If I had a baby elephant, I'd write a witty sig line about it - if I had any wit.
    If I had a baby elephant, I\'d write a witty sig line about it - if I had any wit.
  • papercorn2000
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>

In photos I've seen she had a facial wound and was reported as saying "Oh my God, what happened". Death was caused by the rapid deceleration as I understand it, her aorta was torn I think. She was a brilliant woman and a surprisingly inventive lover, sadly missed.

Are we talking Diana Princess or Diana Dors?

• maybrick
    maybrick Posts: 339
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">rothbook

She was a brilliant woman and a surprisingly inventive lover, sadly missed.

i agree, she was a tremendous shag, really dirty, taught me things. still can't believe she's gone...

i'm not bound by your earthling rules.

i\'m not bound by your earthling rules.
  • rothbook
    Did she do that trick with ice cubes and warm tea with you maybrick?
  • maybrick
    maybrick Posts: 339
    yes. remembering it brings tears to my eyes.

i'm not bound by your earthling rules.

i\'m not bound by your earthling rules.
  • rothbook
    And a lump to my trousers.
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ankev1</i>
    According to the German TV news last night, her two sons also asked for the programme not to be shown. Irrespective of what one thinks of royalty I find it sad that no-one, in an age where people constantly bang on about "sensitivity" seems to take their feelings into account. Surely their wishes must count for something, despite the fact that she was sucha very public figure.

No, their press officer viewed the programme, told them what he thought should be done and composed a letter on their behalf, which asked C4 not to show certain photos, which incidentally had already been published in the UK (by the sun), and which in the programme were blanked so that nothing nasty could be seen.

(And, no, incidentally, I don't think the Royal Family deserve special consideration. In fact, my personal view is that whilst they remain unelected rulers with immense wealth the very least we can do is disrespect them as much as possible, until they decide to do the right thing and renounce their positions, lands and titles and become ordinary people like the rest of us. Then I will give them as much respect as the next person).

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • ankev1
    ankev1 Posts: 3,686

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ankev1</i>

No, their press officer viewed the programme, told them what he thought should be done and composed a letter on their behalf, which asked C4 not to show certain photos, which incidentally had already been published in the UK (by the sun), and which in the programme were blanked so that nothing nasty could be seen.

(And, no, incidentally, I don't think the Royal Family deserve special consideration. In fact, my personal view is that whilst they remain unelected rulers with immense wealth the very least we can do is disrespect them as much as possible, until they decide to do the right thing and renounce their positions, lands and titles and become ordinary people like the rest of us. Then I will give them as much respect as the next person).

Your first paragraph clarifies that then: incomplete reporting by ZDF.

Ref your second paragraph: I was suggesting anything other than special consideration i.e. such images are likely to be just as distressing to a bereaved family member who happens to be royal as, say, the recently discussed images of the uninsured, beheaded motorcyclist were to his family (and if memory serves, in that case the photos were not shown, just described). It's not about respect, it's just about consideration for normal human feelings.
  • rothbook
    Did these pictures really appear in The Sun? I thought only an Italian magazine had published them?
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ankev1</i>
    the recently discussed images of the uninsured, beheaded motorcyclist were to his family (and if memory serves, in that case the photos were not shown, just described). <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

They were shown to the press accompanied by a gloating account of how it happened from a senior police officer.
  • rothbook
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> They were shown to the press accompanied by a gloating account of how it happened from a senior police officer. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

http://www.north-wales.police.uk/en/blo ... =1&CID=204

The meeting held yesterday was a closed one, to an invited audience of journalists and road safety professionals, all of whom had been warned in advance that they would be briefly exposed to harrowing images, in order that the media could better understand the full context of the Arrive Alive project. The invitations made it very clear, in writing, that these images were not, are not and will not be released into the public domain - a point emphasised verbally during the meeting. They were included as a minor part of the presentation to counter the continuing tendency in some sections of our society to trivialise road death.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> They were shown to the press accompanied by a gloating account of how it happened from a senior police officer. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

http://www.north-wales.police.uk/en/blo ... =1&CID=204

The meeting held yesterday was a closed one, to an invited audience of journalists and road safety professionals, all of whom had been warned in advance that they would be briefly exposed to harrowing images, in order that the media could better understand the full context of the Arrive Alive project. The invitations made it very clear, in writing, that these images were not, are not and will not be released into the public domain - a point emphasised verbally during the meeting. They were included as a minor part of the presentation to counter the continuing tendency in some sections of our society to trivialise road death.

Thank you for quoting from the police defence of their actions which were roundly condemned by the local MPs and the Secretary of State for Wales. North Wales Police Authority immediately referred the actions of their officers to the Police Complaints Authority which is investigating. Their verdict will be interesting to read.
  • redcogs
    redcogs Posts: 3,232
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    (And, no, incidentally, I don't think the Royal Family deserve special consideration. In fact, my personal view is that whilst they remain unelected rulers with immense wealth the very least we can do is disrespect them as much as possible, <b>until they decide to do the right thing and renounce their positions, lands and titles and become ordinary people like the rest of us.</b>

And i thought i was the forums 'idle utopian'. The notion that the royals will, or would, renounce their position is totally ridiculous.

The aristocracy, and their perverted, lazy, greedy decadent 'elite' and middle class lick spittle supporters have never in history given up their power, or title, or wealth, simply because it would be the decent, right, or indeed rational thing to do.

Normally, and there are many examples, they have murdered, butchered, imprisoned, tortured, tyranised, declared war, etc etc in order to remain parasitically dominant.

The reality is that the royals will only go when they are forced to by a social movement 'from below' which is powerfully united enough to have become irresistible - a situation that i would strongly recommend to the house.

On the OP. i don't give a toss if some embarrassing snaps of some dead female royal aristo appeared on the screen. Photography and attention is an integral part of the mechanism of celebrity and wealth isn't it?

How about a few more tears and some justified outrage for the truly innocent dead victims of the illegal war in Iraq, or for working class victims of capitalist inspired famine around the globe, all are on the screen regularly, without complaint.

<font size="1">please look up to the stars.. </font id="size1"><font size="6"><font color="red">***</font id="red"></font id="size6">
    <font size="1">please look up to the stars.. </font id="size1"><font size="6"><font color="red">***</font id="red"></font id="size6">
  • simoncp
    simoncp Posts: 3,260
    In a way her death was more of a tragedy than if it had been a normal member of the public. Diana missed out on decades of luxury living. By dying young she didn't miss out on years of wage slavery office tedium like the rest of us would do.
  • alecstilleyedye
    alecstilleyedye Posts: 1,170
    pleased to see that they actually mentioned the non useage of seatbelts by diana et al. the clunk-click brigade really missed a trick on that one.

if i had a better signature, i'd use that instead
    riding on my bicycle, i saw a motorcrash…
  • papercorn2000
    That would have been distasteful. It were Diana, Queen of all our hearts. Nothing she ever did was wrong. You are evil, unfeeling and I bet you went to work as usual on the Monday after she died. You make me sick.

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redcogs</i>

Normally, and there are many examples, they have murdered, butchered, imprisoned, tortured, tyranised, declared war, etc etc in order to remain parasitically dominant.

Steady on redders, some of us just bought our titles from the government in the normal way using hard earned cash which we'd earned from broking PFI deals.
  • Crooky
    Crooky Posts: 604
    I see they mentioned the white Fiat again only this time the Merc didn't collide with it, as it said in the official report, it swerved to avoid it. That's more interesting to me than the papparazzi.

We'll never hear the whole truth so I can see why people start thinking about conspiracies.