Sanctioned Manslaughter?

Majikthise
Majikthise Posts: 13
edited June 2007 in Campaign
Some months ago a colleague of ours was killed whilst cycle commuting in Wokingham. The motorist who killed him, reportedly set fire to his vehicle, and attempted to bribe a worker in a nearby public house to create an alibi.

I've tried searching various news sites for further informaton as to info on a possible court case and (hopefully) justice.

This is now the second colleague of ours in Wokingham who has been killed by a motorist whilst riding his bike to the same place of work in as many years.

I understand the sentence for death by dangerous driving is 3-4 years yet for manslaughter it is ~10. this smacks to be of sanctioned manslaughter by means of a motor vehicle is somehow less despicable than by other means.????????

Another example in the news yesterday of a (motor) cyclist who was killed by a 'tired' driver was acquitted, so its okay to kill others if you are tired and drive a car??????????

One more cheeky climb....

Comments

• Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    you work at National Grid then. so do I but I work at the Warwick office. very sad isn't it. we've had a few croppers at the Warwick office too, but no fatalities thankfully.

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

• Majikthise
    Me too funnily enough, the chap concerned was a friend of a friend... take care on Myton Rd and Banbury Rd. Strength to you.

• Buggi
    come on then, who are ya? you must know me, there's not many that are female, tall as me and cycle in?

• Cretin
    Cretin Posts: 266
    It sounds more like perverting the cause of justice than manslaughter.
  • Buggi
    well, i heard that he got charged with death by dangerous driving and his four passengers got charged with perverting the course of justice. court case pending.

edit: not sure if he got charged with a drink related offence but apparently they were out of their skulls and tried to bribe the landlord to say they weren't at the pub.

• Majikthise
    Good point on perverting the course of justice, thanks.

What your missive on the new cycle facility?

I'm not as splendidly tall, ride a Saracen when its wet and sometimes my Colnago when its sunny.

• Buggi
    you mean that pointless cycle path? there's pedestrians all over it! they haven't divided the path and the two drop down kerbs where you get on are in awkward places (the traffic island?? totally awkward if you're coming from warwick town centre; and the entrance to myton school?? again have to negotiate with mum's in 4x4s. no thanks) no drop down kerb to get off at the other end. i don't even bother to try and get on it.

• linfordlunchbox
    linfordlunchbox Posts: 4,834
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Buggi</i>

you mean that pointless cycle path? there's pedestrians all over it! they haven't divided the path and the two drop down kerbs where you get on are in awkward places (the traffic island?? totally awkward if you're coming from warwick town centre; and the entrance to myton school?? again have to negotiate with mum's in 4x4s. no thanks) no drop down kerb to get off at the other end. i don't even bother to try and get on it.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Most cycle paths are pointless due to poor planning and execution [:(] .I see plenty of 4x4s on the roads around here also (being a rural area) but honestly, very rarely outside schools Next time you pass the school, can you take some pics of the offending vehicles and post them up (not the kids obviously, they might think you are a perve)

Condolences for your colleague Majikthise [:(]. For two cyclists to lose their lives in the same spot in a short space of time indicates to me that there are more factors involved than simply driver error/misjudgement. One would hope that he received the maximum penalty afforded by the couts for his actions - IMO, death due to drink driving should be classed as manslaughter.

NOTE, I'M NOT IMPLYING THAT THE DRIVER WAS ANY LESS GUILTY OF CAUSING THE ACCIDENT, OR ANY SUBSEQUENT ACTIONS TO EVADE JUSTICE (as spineless as they appear to have been)

"I'd clean my car with a baby elephant - if I had a baby elephant !"

"I\'d clean my car with a baby elephant - if I had a baby elephant !"
  • Buggi
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">

Condolences for your colleague Majikthise [:(]. For two cyclists to lose their lives in the same spot in a short space of time indicates to me that there are more factors involved than simply driver error/misjudgement.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

'fraid not Linford, the road is a straight one (although apparently very busy) but both were not just driver error, but complete idiocy.

the first, our colleague was waiting in primary position in a right turn lane waiting for a gap in slow moving oncoming traffic, when some idiot at the back of the queue got impatient and decided to overtake everyone, and drove straight into our colleague.

The 2nd was pist, but i don't think they could charge him with that because the alcohol had left his blood by the time they got him, so technically they can't prove it. however, i think he's been charged with death by dangerous driving and his 4 passengers were charged with perverting the course of justice because they tried to bribe the landlord to say they weren't in the pub.