Ladyman on open webchat

Brightsparkcp
Brightsparkcp Posts: 135
edited June 2007 in Campaign
Stephen Ladyman is on an open webchat now on the DFT site.
Be quick he is only there until 3:50!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    everytime I see his name I think of a transvestite[:0][:X]

Non Omnis Moriar
  • Regulator
    Regulator Posts: 417
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Brightspark</i>

Stephen Ladyman is on an open webchat now on the DFT site.
    Be quick he is only there until 3:50!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Perhaps that was why they wouldn't accept my webchat question to him. I know I shouldn't have started it 'Dear Mr Ladyboy..." [:D]

• I wonder how many of us actually asked questions.
    Anyway he answered one question on Cycling.

<font color="brown">Hi! I'm Steve Ladyman

We are spending a huge amount on improving trains and buses, encouraging walking and cycling and we work hard to support aviation and shipping - but roads will always be a key part of our transport network. That means we have to make them safer and keep the traffic flowing and I'm interested in chatting about your ideas and concerns.</font id="brown">

<font color="blue">dave mccarthy: Is there any plan to target cycling measures more effectively? Millions have been spent particularly on short cycle lanes with many give ways at side turnings and driveways. Now we are to be told we have to use these deathtraps. I don't have to use the motorway in my car, so why force cyclists to use these lanes, however badly designed or maintained? </font id="blue">

<font color="brown">Stephen replies:
    No-one has told you that you have to use these facilities. The Highway Code uses the terms MUST and MUST NOT when you have to do something - and advice about cycle lanes did not use these terms. But after consulting we tried to make this distinction clearer and this week after more representations from cyclists we've announced changes to make it clearer still.

Cycle lanes can make your journey safer but whether you use them is up to you - if you don't then be aware of the needs of other road users and the extra risks you may be taking.

Beyond that we are spending a lot more money on encouraging cycling - this was one of the first announcements Douglas Alexander made after he became Transport Secretary.</font id="brown">