How does Gordon Ramsay get away with it?

2»

Comments

• Cab
    Cab Posts: 770
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>
    Pigeon breasts are a bit variable in size depending on how well it's been eating, but these rook breasts were minute.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Even a big fat pigeon still only has a little bit of meat on it, relative to the apparent size of the bird.

As for the rooks, yes, I'm sure the breasts are small as its only rooklings that are taken for the pot. But why does the amount of meat make a difference to whether or not the bird can reasonably be taken for the pot?

<i>Free baby elephants for every citizen</i>
    Vote Arch for Prime Minister
  • Cab
    Cab Posts: 770
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Uncle Mort</i>
    My grandma used to make rook pie. I distinctly remember her using the legs and thighs as well as the breast meat. It's like making game pie with older pheasants and grouse. You cook the jointed bird gently with herbs and veg so the meat gets tender. You strip the meat off for the pie and you have stock as well. But that was the traditional way, not Ramsay's way...

Interesting, thank you!

My dad related once how his mum used to cook rookling. Strip off the breasts, soak in milk overnight, then fry the breasts the next day. That, apparently, was the traditional way in Northumberland.

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cab</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>
    Pigeon breasts are a bit variable in size depending on how well it's been eating, but these rook breasts were minute.

Even a big fat pigeon still only has a little bit of meat on it, relative to the apparent size of the bird.

As for the rooks, yes, I'm sure the breasts are small as its only rooklings that are taken for the pot. But why does the amount of meat make a difference to whether or not the bird can reasonably be taken for the pot?

Eating meat isn't a moral no for me, but some things are acceptable and others not. Eating pheasant that has be been bred for the purpose - no problem. Eating endangered Ortolan Buntings - definitely not. Rooks are somewhere in between. I don't regard them as pests and feel a bit uncomfortable at the idea that they are killed but provide very little meat.
  • Smeggers
    Smeggers Posts: 1,019
    So we're back to the Korean Dogs and French Horse argument?

<font size="1">Hickory Dickory Dock,
    A baby elephant ran up the clock,
    The clock is being repaired</font id="size1">
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Smeggers</i>

So we're back to the Korean Dogs and French Horse argument?

And the Tanzanian monkeys. [:(]
  • Smeggers
    Smeggers Posts: 1,019
    I didnt know our antipodean friends were partial to a spot of primate on their barbecues?! :)

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

Eating meat isn't a moral no for me, but some things are acceptable and others not. Eating pheasant that has be been bred for the purpose - no problem. Eating endangered Ortolan Buntings - definitely not. Rooks are somewhere in between. I don't regard them as pests and feel a bit uncomfortable at the idea that they are killed but provide very little meat.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Derrick Jensen (the would-be dambuster) takes the view that it is OK to kill and eat sentient creatures as long as you acknowledge the duty to protect and care for their environment which is imposed on you by your consumption of their flesh.

Seems like a morally acceptable approach to me.

But then I have no problem with the idea of eating human flesh (knowing as I do plenty of people who would be more valuable as protein than they are as sentient beings), so I'm probably unusual.

<font size="1">So you voted, and now you've got a government. I just hope YOU like it.</font id="size1">
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by NickM</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Derrick Jensen (the would-be dambuster) takes the view that it is OK to kill and eat sentient creatures as long as you acknowledge the duty to protect and care for their environment which is imposed on you by your consumption of their flesh.

Seems like a morally acceptable approach to me.

Fine by me too. Can you translate some more of what he's written? [;)]