Sluggish triple performance

plasma
plasma Posts: 33
edited June 2007 in Workshop
I have two road bikes, one of them, a Colnago Ovalmaster I acquired last year is set up with a Dura Ace triple and new mavic wheels. Unfortunately it feels consistently sluggish when compared to my other bikes. I've tried loosening off the bb, reduced the crank arm length to 170mm and replaced the wheelset, but frankly it still climbs like a snail and I'm tempted to sell it or at least strip it down. The rear cassette is quite worn and I can't vouch for the age of the chain but it doesn't look to stretched. I would only expect shifting problems in such case, not such a sluggish performance when compared to my other bike.

Can anyone help determine why such a supposed rocket performs like such a pig

Comments

• pbiggs
    pbiggs Posts: 9,232
    The sluggishness is nothing to do with triple system. Remember that mechanical drag (with any bike that basically works at all) is minute compared to wind resistance and gravity, so it's not going to be the bearings, chain or sprockets. Triple components may weigh a little bit more - but not enough to noticeably slow you down.

I'd say your problem is down to something about the frame, the riding position or your mind.

<i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>