Norfolk Tour

Psychler
Psychler Posts: 6
edited June 2007 in Tour & expedition
I'm off to tour Norfolk in a couple of weeks - nothing to strenuous, about 180 miles over 6 days basically From Norwich to Great Yarmouth, then following the coastline to Hunstanton and then back to Norwich.

Has anyone got any tips on the route, good places to eat or drink, things to do at night in Great Yarmouth, Cromer, Wells-next-the-Sea, Hunstanton and Grat Ryburgh, or anything else about this part of Norfolk

Thank you

Comments

• Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    Don't know if this would interest you/be useful
    http://bikereader.com/forum/index.php?topic=10573.0

If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • Plenty of really good places to stop for a meal or a cake at stately homes (you won't nave to pay to get in to the hall to get somthing to eat) , Fellbrig nr Cromer, Blickling Nr Aylsham, Holkham Nr Wells , Sandringham Nr KIngs Lynn. You should stop at Wells Harbour and have fish & chips from Plattons they're fab. As you gathered I live in Norfolk Nr Fakenham
    Bruce Thornton
  • John J
    John J Posts: 1,097
    Have you got your route sorted? From Norwich to Yarmouth I would avoid the A47, especially the 'Acle straight' form Acle to Yarmouth. I'd head out slightly North through Panxworth, South Walsham to Acle and then out towards Billockby , even maybe miss out Gt Yarmouth unless you had a good reason to go there.

Around the Norfolk coast, NCN 30 follows the coast road fairly closely to Cromer, and then NCN1 goes right round to Kings Lynn, taking roads just inland from the coast, as the main coast road tends have nasty curves and fast busy traffic in the holiday season. I've riden both and the NCN route is much more relaxing riding, though suprisingly hilly in places.The Tourist Information centres sell an excellent guide to the route with good maps for about œ2. From Hunstanton: you could take NCN 1 down to Kings Lynn (although I would take the docks road into the town rather than the NCN 'footpaths route') visting Sandringham & Castle Rising; or you could take the Pedders way to Castle Acre (worth visiting the Abbey) if your bikes can cope with trackways.

If the weather is good, you should have a fantastic time. It's a great area to do laid back touring.

<hr noshade size="1">Wobbly John
    <font size="1"><font color="red">If it ain't broke - Fix it 'til it is </font id="red"></font id="size1">[;)]
    http://xntrick.co.uk
    <hr>Wobbly John
    <font><font>If it ain\'t broke - Fix it \'til it is </font></font>[;)]
  • Psychler
    Tony, Bruce and John - thanks guys for the advice
    Tony - I've just joined the "another cycling forum", thanks for the intro
  • bazzerp
    bazzerp Posts: 101
    If you like Seafood you MUST stop at "Cookies" on the little green at Salthouse - superb seafood salads at Norfolk prices -

http://www.cookies.shopkeepers.co.uk/

Normal for Norfolk.
    Normal for Norfolk.
  • thomasb
    thomasb Posts: 631
    Took the Brompton to NW Norfolk last June to look at medieval churches. It was wonderful.
    Too bad I didn't know about the chip shops then but will bear in mind for next time.
    Thanks all
  • karl j
    karl j Posts: 517
    Hi

Like John J says, the road north-ish out of Norwich is decent enough (look out for Mike Burrows on one of his wierd & wonderful machines) , go through Panxworth & South Walsham. Ranworth is a nice little detour from South Walsham- go up the church tower and look out over the Norfolk Broads and there's a tea room.

But yes def avoid the A47 whatever you do. After Acle i rather like the little road through Stokesby (tea room in the village store on the green), Runham & Ormesby St Margaret, and it then goes into Yarmouth from the north if you really must go there.

Up the coast... Route 30 can be a bit tricky to follow in places, but the B1159 (coast road) isnt too busy until you get to Cromer. Horsey windmill is nice for a look about and has a tea room. Good cafe on the cliffs at Overstrand too, just before Cromer.
    From Cromer there used to be a thing called the Norfolk Coast Cycleway but i arent sure it exists in that form any more, but of course the little country roads over the Cromer-Holt ridge are still there, through Wighton and Burnham Market or detour into Wells etc. The coast road can be busy around here though

if you go through Salthouse try the Dun Cow pub

cant remember how to put a link in here now but have a look on goldeneyemaps.com for the cycling map of Norfolk

hmmm, what else ? ...hunstanton cliffs are worth a look. Gt Ryburgh is the place for Honey Buzzards if you are interested in that sort of thing, and the site of North Elmham saxon cathedral isnt far. Can pick up NCN 1 from Gt Ryburgh back to Norwich - goes into Norwich along the old railway bed which is a nice enough ride

cheers
    Morning route (when i don't get the train)

Evening route ,
  • bof
    bof Posts: 372
    There is a wonderful church at Trunch (I think) in sight of the Gas Depot IIRC. Walsingham on a Sunday is well worth a visit to see the odder end of Christianity - Castle Acre on the way back to Norwich. Visited all by bike - also Cley for birds and Blakeney Point for seals (better seen by boat than by walking out along the spit).

Nice quiet roads - even the one along the coast out of season - and in my opinion the best area for cycle touring in the UK.
    The artist formally known as boring old fart
  • ciuffolotto
    ciuffolotto Posts: 236
    The Norfolk coast is full of great nature reserves, notably Cley (Norfolk Wildlife Trust) and Titchwell (RSPB). The latter has a little tea room too now, and is a great spot to leave your bike and walk down to the enormous beach which has no road access.
  • Psychler
    Thanks for all the advice guys, looks like Salthouse has been added to my route - Cookies and Dun Cow
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    Touring my home county, beautiful... as the others have said avoid the A47 at all costs, head out on the B1140 and sample some of the fine products from Woodforde's brewery at The Fur and Feather at Woodbastwick. You can then head down through South Walsham towards Acle or cross the Bure at Horning Ferry and head out towards Horsey Mere and the coast. Heading up the coast road The Swan at Ingham does good food, East Ruston Old Vicarage Garden is unmissable if you're green-fingered, Cromer crab is still the best, The Lifeboat at Sheringham did good food last time I was there. Not much to add to the excellent advice already given for the North Norfolk coast, The Hero at Burnham Overy Staithe has turned from an olde worlde pub into a trendy wine bar but still with excellent food as does the pub in Holme-next-the-Sea (forgotten the name). Not as au fait with the western end of Norfolk, but the B1145 back through Massingham and Litcham is nice, and the Wensum Valley from North Elmham back to Costessey is dotted with sleepy villages and quiet lanes. There's another Woodforde's pub at Weston Longville or you could try The Swan at Ringland.

And if anyone tells you that Norfolk is flat, go round the Norwich inner ring road towards the station then turn off up over Mousehold Heath or Ketts Hill! Enjoy it...

NB - Things to do in Gt Yarmouth at night? Stay in and lock the door.
  • ..very interesting stuff. I am planning on 2 weeks in Norfolk in August, riding up from Essex. Just me and my new bike. I am still thinking of the route, but it will definately include the North coast. Looking at the map the A149 seems to run along the coast there, can anybody tell me what to expect from that road? I hope to be sticking to lanes and B roads for the trip but from my old map the A149 seems to be the only coastal route from Hunstanton> Wells >sherringham>Cromer...or is there a more peaceful route?

Also has anybody found any good places to pitch a small tent along the northern coastal route? Is it easy to find such places or are the land owners all out patrolling with shotguns?[:D]

Has anybody stayed in the hostel at wells? Any good? Does it get busy...should I book etc?

I am looking forward to this...my first 'tour'
    Gravity sucks
  • John J
    In August the A149 will be busy with fast cars whizzing round it's blind bends [V]

As mentioned before. there is an excellent set of leaflets (at least the last version was excellent) on the Norfolk coast by bike. The road just inland is much more pleasent to cycle and there are plenty of roads linking it with the A149 coast road, so you can easily nip across when there's somewhere you want to visit. [8D]

<font size="1"><font color="red">If it ain't broke - Fix it 'til it is </font id="red"></font id="size1">[;)]
    <hr>Wobbly John
  • john ponting
    john ponting Posts: 491
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bigtallfatbloke</i>... 2 weeks in Norfolk in August, riding up from Essex. Just me and my new bike. I am still thinking of the route, but it will definately include the North coast. [:D]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

http://www.sustransshop.co.uk/index.php ... php&p=NN1B

http://www.sustransshop.co.uk/index.php ... hp&p=rpr10

http://www.sustransshop.co.uk/index.php ... hp&p=RBW03
  • many thanks John & John[8D][:)]
    Gravity sucks
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Psychler</i>

I'm off to tour Norfolk in a couple of weeks - nothing to strenuous, about 180 miles over 6 days basically From Norwich to Great Yarmouth, then following the coastline to Hunstanton and then back to Norwich.

Has anyone got any tips on the route, good places to eat or drink, things to do at night in Great Yarmouth, Cromer, Wells-next-the-Sea, Hunstanton and Grat Ryburgh, or anything else about this part of Norfolk

Thank you
    This weekend doing a 110 miler from Kings Lynn to GT Yarmouth via the coast, with the 85 miler return via an inland route.
    Will let you know the route and how it goes! Weather looks fine if nothing else[:D]

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1

Fab's TCR1
  • ..excellent! I hope the weather holds out.
    I would be REALLY interested in your feedback on the trip..I look forward to it.
    Good luck.
    Gravity sucks
  • John J
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fab Foodie</i>
    This weekend doing a 110 miler from Kings Lynn to GT Yarmouth via the coast, with the 85 miler return via an inland route.
    Will let you know the route and how it goes! Weather looks fine if nothing else[:D]

Fab's TCR1

The Kings Lynn cycle paths are not a nice way to start the journey - broken glass, dog walkers, chavs etc. It's better to head out on the road past the docks and pick up NCN route 1 near North Wootton. Avoid the main Kings Lynn - Hunstanton road like the plague if the weather is nice!

...and you may meet Wafflycat who is apparently pootling in North Norfolk on Saturday [:)]

<hr>Wobbly John