Where to do a 10m TT in Liverpool

winkywonky
winkywonky Posts: 228
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Does anybody have any routes they use to do a 10 mile circuit in Liverpool without traffic lights, etc.[:D]

Comments

• Jonathan Mcp
    Jonathan Mcp Posts: 2,472
    Rainford Bypass is used by all the local clubs for the 10 mile TT's.

<font size="1">It isn't growing up that stops us playing, it is stopping playing that makes us grow up.

Go and see my bikes</font id="size1">
  • If you want an official TT course, then Rainford is the one to go for as Jonathan says. If you want something actually in Liverpool, up and down Otterspool can give you 10, but it's not an official route.

My bikes - http://flickr.com/photos/82587774@N00/
  • winkywonky
    Thanks Guys, next comes the hard work.
  • Jonathan Mcp
    Jonathan Mcp Posts: 2,472
    Looking at which part of the city you live in, then I suppose you might be able to get a route of sorts going out on the Speke road towards widnes - last set of lights near Fords/Land Rover, then onto Widnes, roundabout junction to negotiate, then back again. Not sure on distance, but must be a good few miles, although probably short of the 10 that you seek.

<font size="1">It isn't growing up that stops us playing, it is stopping playing that makes us grow up.

Go and see my bikes</font id="size1">
  • winkywonky
    I used to go around Sefton Park on the inside, 2.25 miles for 1 lap. Never really thought about doing 10 mile test until recently. Thinking on that might be my best bet. Thanks for the help!
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    I usually do a 10m TT round Sefton Park, it's about four and two thirds circuits around the park, it's abit bumpy so it might slow you down quite a lot.

The other alternative is Hale, that's where our club does the club 10 mile TT, start off on Halebank Road, left on to Ramsbrook Lane, left on to High Street, left on to Town Lane, left back on to Halebank Road.
  • winkywonky
    Your up late! Thanks for that I normally cycle out to Widnes that way, have never been down Ramsbrook Lane all these years.
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    Start at the town centre end of Fiddler's Ferry Road, up to the Eight Towers pub roundabout, then past Fiddler's Ferry power station. At Penketh Lane Ends roundabout take first left (heading back to Widnes). Just before the start of the hill and where the houses begin, turn left onto Barrows Green Lane and that will take you back to the Eight Towers pub, repeat the Penketh loop. When you get to the Eight Towers pub for the second time, it's downhill along Fiddler's Ferry Road to your start - and that is 10 miles.

http://bangkokhippo.blogspot.com/

Ex-XXL weigh-in 9/10 June: Update published: Monday 11 June
  • winkywonky
    Know that very well, used to live in Widnes for about 10 years
  • on the road
    I was up late because I had rode through the tunnel to visit me brother, and then rode back through the tunnel later that night, saved money on train fare [:p]
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Why bother with a 10mile distance though ? I guess you want to match your time against other 10m TT results ? A lot depends on the surface and the course - Sefton Park has some baaad potholes so its not gonna give a fast time.

If you just want one to test your fitness on - then theres no need for it to be a 10 mile distance ?
  • SPEEDY
    SPEEDY Posts: 407
    If you are north L'pool(Sefton), try heading out in the Southport direction
  • winkywonky
    I was just after a set distance to try out, never done it before.
  • on the road
    You're in Toxteth, you must be not far from me.

I often use Sefton Park with it being close to home, only takes about 2 minutes to get to and takes 2 minutes to get back home. It not ideal for road surface but it is convenient when you're short of time.
  • on the road
    Also, going around Sefton Park will slow you down but that's good, means you have to try harder to get a decent speed, that will translate in a faster speed if you do a proper 10TT. I find my speed on the club 10 is faster then going around Sefton Park.
  • winkywonky
    I just live in Sunnyside. What club are you in? I'm thinking of maybe joining one, just worried about conflicting with Football season in the winter.
  • on the road
    http://www.liverpoolcentury.co.uk/

I happen to be on Princes Road.
  • If your looking for a club in Liverpool then Century is bar far the best option. Good mix of rides and riders, easy to find something to suit and options to progress which is good. The only other ones I know in Liverpool are Phoenix who are OK, but their Sunday ride is usually 100 miles or nothing, and Mercury who seem to pride themselves on being the most miserable, unwelcoming cycling club in the UK.

• winkywonky
    When do Century meet and where? I saw 3 riders out on Sunday by Prescot, one wearing a Century top I thought I'd ask but never..
  • Really good mix of rides, Theres a 1 hour ride on Wednesday night from the clubhouse in Tarbock, 2 runs on Sunday - one from the club which is usually 40 - 60 mile and reasonable pace, and one from the Childwall fiveways which is faster. Then theres various other chaingangs etc during the week, another long run from the Fiveways on wednesday morning.

Depending on your experience, the wednesday night ride is OK to see if you like the look of things, but the turn out can be hit and miss. The Sunday ride from the club led by Steve Schofield is a good place to start, pace is OK and they wait at the top of hills etc if you get dropped.

• winkywonky
    I'll have to get down there, maybe next Wednesday. Thanks for the information. :-)
  • Just out of interest - what average speeds are they doing from Tarbock? Only live a couple of miles away at the top end of Widnes. Keep trying to convince myself to join a club.

Where do the clubs runs go on a Wednesday and Sunday?

Thanks
  • Wednesday is usually very gentle, just a social ride at a pace everyone can handle. Usually heads out towards Widnes and back. Sunday varies depending on whose out, pace can be 16 - 18mph but they make sure that nobody gets dropped and judge the pace accordingly. Steve who leads the rides send an email every Thursday with details of the ride, rough idea of the route, climbs etc, so you can pick and choose when to go.

He's away for the next couple of weeks, but if you pm me I'll give you his email address and you can ask him to add you to the weekly email.

• yenrodcp
    yenrodcp Posts: 9,991
    I do the Chainys on a Tues and Thurs (from the Wingray garage - Woolton ) if poss. and they are fast - though there has been a thing about riders who have been on it in the past going to others in the past few months and so the turn-out aint been too good which was remedied last Tues, with about 12' out - great night BTW: very fast 30mph all the way back from Daresbury, nice bit of speed though - I was too f@cked to do the rest (halfway round), on thurs, so just done my own thing on the way back.

One last thing I will mention about the Century chainy's which made me smile was from some lad who was out about a month back was out again on Tues and said "I've never seen anything like this in my life".

Strangely, he wasn't out on Thursday [:D]

[;)] 'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
    [;)] \'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
  • 30mph back from Daresbury. I guess thats why I haven't joined a club. Scary stuff. 16-18mph sounds acceptable for an hour. Almost 40 and over 15 stone - never going to realistically reach the chaingang level.

Meant to add (if someone else hasn't already) - think there is a recognised 10 mile tt course around and through Hale Village. Not sure where it starts and finishes though.

I often go out that way from the top of Widnes. Out through Cronton / Tarbock / Halewood / Airport and Hale is a good leg stretcher as well. Mostly all flat.

Any ideas on Hills locally.

Woolton Hill / Daresbury (two routes) / Blundells Hill (two rountes)/ Clock Pub in Prescot - struggling to think of any more.

Further affield looked at Mersey View / Billinge Hill / Parbold Hill / Clieves Hills / Ashurst Beacon and around Appley Bridge.