How does Gordon Ramsay get away with it?

Unknown
edited December 1969 in Campaign
I watched part of Gordon Ramsay's new program, "The f word" last night. He took his son, apparently aged about 7 out rook shooting. The boy was shown firing a shotgun and helping his father shoot the young rooks as they left the nest.

As many of you know, I do target shooting and shoot rabbits and grey squirrels. However, I'm also a keen conservationist and I don't know any shooters who would shoot rooks because they eat grassland grubs (mainly leatherjackets) and are regarded as highly beneficial to the environment. The worst damage they ever do is localised damage to early crops but this can be controlled by scaring techniques and in any event any damage is far outweighed by the benefit of the rooks spending the winter eating grubs that would cause much more damage to the crops.

Now, I warrant that Gordon's little escapade will pass with ne'er a word of criticism. If anyone else was seen doing it, there'd be storm of protest. How does he manage to get away with it?

Comments

• Gary Askwith
    Gary Askwith Posts: 1,835
    Foul-mouthed ignorant plebbery is an integral part of the celebrity package......bit like big brother...the idea is to hook the viewers.. supposedly the fascination of scornful superiority but personally i reckon its more about secretive <i>identification</i> otherwise why the fascination?

Economic Growth; as dead as a Yangtze River dolphin....

• Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    Probably the same reason he gets away with being rude and abusive and all that, because for some reason these days it's cool to be a bully, and uncool to just be nice...

I dunno if you're right that "If anyone else was seen doing it, there'd be storm of protest". I'm not sure the general public give a hoot about rooks (to mix my bird metaphors). Most of the people who watch Ramsey probably wouldn't know a rook from a crow, or even from a blackbird, and care less. And even if they know the difference, they probably have no idea about the ecology of it. I presume the programme will have implied that rooks need shooting, so they'll settle for that...

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
    If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • Uncle Mort
    Uncle Mort Posts: 1,124
    Does he shoot them to eat them? Rook pie is traditional in Scotland and parts of England. It's not bad, but I haven't had it for years.

I presume rooks aren't protected either.

There is a "f*7K you, I'll do what I like" attitude to Gordon Ramsay which secretly most people would like to have, but either don't have the guts or are too inwardly decent. Whilst some of his programmes are entertaining and he clearly is a talented chef, I suspect in any other business he would have come a cropper, e.g with employment law. He is a bully I think and his foul mouth doesn't endear him to me.

I won't pretend to know enough about rooks and the countryside to comment, but it does seem pretty pointless.

Baby elephants are so last year, darling.
    Baby elephants are so last year, darling.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Uncle Mort</i>

I presume rooks aren't protected either.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

It's legal to shoot them if they are pests. However, the modern consensus is that they are very far from being a pest.

He was shooting them to eat them and explaining that they are pests anyway.
  • spire
    spire Posts: 4,077
    Could somebody explain the difference between

Rooks
    Ravens
    Crows
    Blackbirds?

Thanks.
  • rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    Magpies are crows so can you legally shoot them?
  • Cab
    Cab Posts: 770
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by spire</i>

Rooks
    Ravens
    Crows
    Blackbirds?

Thanks.

Certainly.

Rooks and crows are similar looking things. Rooks are usually found in big bunches, they hafe fluffy looking knees and whitish bits at the face end of the beak. Crows are a bit more adaptable, usually less gregarious.

Ravens are bigger. Much bigger. Restricted to the West of the country.

Blackbirds are little black chaps with yellow beaks. Except for the females, which are brown. Nothing remotely like the others listed.

You may also want to look up jackdaw, hooded crow, magpie, chuff (sp?) and jay.

<i>Free baby elephants for every citizen</i>
    Vote Arch for Prime Minister
  • Cab
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>

If they're a pest, then I believe so. Although the derivation of 'magpie' being 'maggot pie', it rather implies that they're not good eating. Unlike rookling, which is (I'm told) delicious.

Rookling has been eaten for centuries, and if its taken in limited numbers theres probably no harm in it.

• Gary Askwith
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by spire</i>

Rooks
    Ravens
    Crows
    Blackbirds?

Thanks.

That is shocking Spire[:0]
    Call yourself educated[?][;)]

Rooks /crows/ravens corvid family rooks look similar size to crows..rooks have white faces, flatter forehead shape and wear 'plus fours', nest in colonys called rookeries
    Ravens bigger and meaner looking used to be called meat crows, tower of london etc

Blackbirds completly different thrush family, nice warblers unlike covids which are the most unmusical birds in existance

no doubt patrick will correct me for ornithological liberties and gross generalisations

• Uncle Mort
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cab</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>

If they're a pest, then I believe so. Although the derivation of 'magpie' being 'maggot pie', it rather implies that they're not good eating. Unlike rookling, which is (I'm told) delicious.

Rookling has been eaten for centuries, and if its taken in limited numbers theres probably no harm in it.

Cab, the derivation is "Maggie Pie", not maggot pie [:)] - same kind of thing as jackdaw coming from "Jackie Daw"

My dad used to shoot crows once or twice a week when we lived on a golf club. The reason you may ask, the greenkeepers were always complaining that the crow were lifting the divits to get at the grubs/worms underneath!! Imagine the crime!![:o)]

SNAPS
  • spire
    spire Posts: 4,077
    Thanks Gaz and Cab.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>

These are the terms upon which they (and other species) can be controlled - magpies are usually trapped rather than shot. It's the DEFRA general licence. As you will see, it would be unusual for it to be legal to shoot a magpie.

Permits authorised persons to kill or take certain birds, or to take, damage or destroy their nests; or to take or destroy their eggs, for the purposes of: (i) preventing the spread of disease; and (ii) preventing serious damage to livestock, foodstuffs for livestock, crops, vegetables, fruit, growing timber, fisheries or inland waters. The species on the licence are: Common name Scientific name
    Canada Goose Branta canadensis
    Crow Corvus corone
    Dove, Collared Streptopelia decaocto
    Gull, Great Black-backed Larus marinus
    Gull, Lesser Black-backed Larus fuscus
    Gull, Herring Larus argentatus
    Jackdaw Corvus monedula
    Jay Garrulus glandarius
    Magpie Pica pica
    Pigeon, Feral Columba livia
    Rook Corvus frugilegus
    Woodpigeon Columba palumbus
  • Smeggers
    Smeggers Posts: 1,019
    By the same token then, what about pigeons?

And Pheasants?

If we assume what Gordon said about Rooks once being very popular food, where does that stand us these days with duck?

And at the bottom of the bird related species elitism charts - what about chicken?

<font size="1">Hickory Dickory Dock,
    A baby elephant ran up the clock,
    The clock is being repaired</font id="size1">
  • The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    Surely he's shooting them to put in a pie, rather than just for fun?
  • Uncle Mort
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

Surely he's shooting them to put in a pie, rather than just for fun?

Pay attention at the back there, Bonj !

By the same token then, what about pigeons?

And Pheasants?

If we assume what Gordon said about Rooks once being very popular food, where does that stand us these days with duck?

And at the bottom of the bird related species elitism charts - what about chicken?

Pheasants and ducks are dealt with differently under the various Game Acts which impose close seasons and restrictions on sale.
  • Smeggers
    Smeggers Posts: 1,019
    Rules and regulations as regard shooting 'for sport' aside, I still think its hypocritical to condemn it.

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gary Askwith</i>
    ...Blackbirds completly different thrush family, nice warblers unlike covids which are the most unmusical birds in existance...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">But a rookery heard while cycling on a crisp Autumn morning is the single sound most redolent of the English countryside...

So Ramsay, who doesn't give a toss, is clearly a chav of the most despicable kind.
  • Gary Askwith
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by NickM</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gary Askwith</i>
    ...Blackbirds completly different thrush family, nice warblers unlike covids which are the most unmusical birds in existance...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">But a rookery heard while cycling on a crisp Autumn morning is the single sound most redolent of the English countryside...
    <font color="red">.agreed...and the sound most frequently used to convev it- eg The archers</font id="red">
    So Ramsay, who doesn't give a toss, is clearly a chav of the most despicable kind.
    <font color="red">Say no more [xx(]</font id="red">

• I've got nothing in principle against killing something to eat it. However, it became clear that all Ramsay was doing was cooking the rook breasts and they were minute. However, he's such a golden boy that he'd probably get a knighthood for getting a bunch of vegans to help him prepare lark tongue stew.
  • Cab
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

I've got nothing in principle against killing something to eat it. However, it became clear that all Ramsay was doing was cooking the rook breasts and they were minute. However, he's such a golden boy that he'd probably get a knighthood for getting a bunch of vegans to help him prepare lark tongue stew.

Dunno about rook, but on a pigeon for example thats practically all the meat there is. Is there enough on the rest of the rook to be worth eating?

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cab</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

I've got nothing in principle against killing something to eat it. However, it became clear that all Ramsay was doing was cooking the rook breasts and they were minute. However, he's such a golden boy that he'd probably get a knighthood for getting a bunch of vegans to help him prepare lark tongue stew.

Dunno about rook, but on a pigeon for example thats practically all the meat there is. Is there enough on the rest of the rook to be worth eating?

Pigeon breasts are a bit variable in size depending on how well it's been eating, but these rook breasts were minute.
  • Uncle Mort
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cab</i>

My grandma used to make rook pie. I distinctly remember her using the legs and thighs as well as the breast meat. It's like making game pie with older pheasants and grouse. You cook the jointed bird gently with herbs and veg so the meat gets tender. You strip the meat off for the pie and you have stock as well. But that was the traditional way, not Ramsay's way...

Isn't the bird full of shot?
  • Uncle Mort

You get the odd bit, but that's all part of the "fun" of eating game.

Mmmm, crunchy!
  • Uncle Mort

Mmmm, crunchy!

But you're supposed to spit - not swallow [:)]

The breasts were so tiny that the chance of one having shot in it would be pretty remote.