Conspiracies, conspiracies......

Gary Askwith
Gary Askwith Posts: 1,835
edited December 1969 in Campaign
Yet more Conspiracies seem to surface every day....
Now why am I so suspicious of anyone and every group entertaining these crackpot ideas?[xx(]

[url][/url]http://www.guardian.co.uk/attackonlondon/story/0,,2095736,00.html[url][/url]

[url][/url]http://www.conspiracyarchive.com/[url][/url]

Economic Growth; as dead as a Yangtze River dolphin....

Comments

• The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    I notice how you declare them conspiracies, rather than conspiracy <i>theories</i>.
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    That second site it a wierd Catholic organisation, which is odd because the Catholic church itself is the target of many conspiracy theorists...

I think it was T.S. Elliot who said that "humankind cannot bear too much reality"... some people certainly can't.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flying_Monkey</i>

That second site it a wierd Catholic organisation, <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

As opposed to the first, which is merely weird.
  • redcogs
    redcogs Posts: 3,232
    Isn't there a certain inevitability about this situation Gaz?

Amongst the more benign and peace loving Islamicists who seek no harm to 'Western Christian Civilisation' there will be, i imagine, a failure to comprehend any resort to 'terror' as a means of producing change.

But a significant section of Muslim opinion (which is being currently alienated by anti Islam paranoia) will also surely be prepared to regard their ongoing and increasing oppression as a manifestation of all the worse aspects of Western cultural racism.

It reminds me of the politics of 1960s 'civil rights' Northern Ireland in many ways. When the troops launched their murderous attack on the previously relatively peaceful movement for justice and change on 'Bloody Sunday', opinion polarised quickly. Many among the 'moderate' Catholic minority were compelled, by the actions of the Army, to believe the republican position that British state tyranny was behind their lack of basic equality, regardless of who was responsible. Simultaneously of course, there were cries from many that republican inspired catholics had engineered Bloody Sunday for their own gruesome advantage.

i'm not saying here that the British state was behind the carnage of July 7th, far from it. Only that power, politics, religious and material oppression = a volatile mix.

It is such a dangerous world.

<font size="1">please look up to the stars.. </font id="size1"><font size="6"><font color="red">***</font id="red"></font id="size6">
    <font size="1">please look up to the stars.. </font id="size1"><font size="6"><font color="red">***</font id="red"></font id="size6">
  • Jon G
    Jon G Posts: 281
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

I notice how you declare them conspiracies, rather than conspiracy <i>theories</i>.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

So they are nothing like your theory that insurance companies encourage the spread of speed cameras so that the criminals caught by them have to pay more for motor insurance?

Jon G
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    Redders, would you be as keen to justify reactionary violence by members of other religious groups that are perecuted as a matter of course and Government policy, in Moslem countries like Malaysia, Iran and Saudi Arabla?

If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redcogs</i>

But a significant section of Muslim opinion (which is being currently alienated by anti Islam paranoia) will also surely be prepared to regard their ongoing and increasing oppression<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Could you give us an example of this oppression?
  • redcogs
    redcogs Posts: 3,232
    i wasn't justifying violence anywhere TT, i've no wish to spend time in any facility that might resemble Guantanamo Bay!

Nor would i accuse you of seeking to stifle discussion.

i'm sorry to say i can't understand your point.

• gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    It does not help when our own PM lied to Parliament to justify his 'just' war. Cynism of his intentions and motives have only helped to fuel the fire of conspiracy theorists. The current government have not been been a model of openness and honesty and I am not unduly surprised that a proportion of the Muslim community do not trust him.
  • Gary Askwith
    Heres a few you may, or may not have heard of [:)][V]

<font color="blue">Conspiracy theories pertaining to the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami & Pakistan Earthquake
    Tsunamis are caused by earthquakes under the sea but some people think the U.S. and Indian militaries deliberately caused the Indian Ocean tsunamis with electromagnetic pulse technology. This conspiracy theory is mostly expressed by popular Arab news services.

Chemtrail theory: Clouds behind aircraft, having the general appearance of contrails, but alleged to be chemical spraying performed for some secretive purpose

Free energy suppression is a conspiracy theory which states that advanced technology which would allow us to better meet our energy needs exists today but is being suppressed by special interest groups to whom the status quo is advantageous.

The conspiracy theory follows two tracks. 1) That the renewable energy sector (solar, wind, and hydroelectric generation, etc) is being held back by vested interests, who are restricting expansion and suppressing the emergence of more efficient technologies capable of drawing more power from natural sources that current technology, while also acting to suppress alternatives to fossil fuels such as bio-diesel, and devices that could reduce pollution levels or increase energy/fuel efficiency of existing technology. 2) That devices capable of extracting significant and usable power from pre-existing energy reservoirs for little or no cost, are possible, but are being suppressed

A rumor has recently been spread in Nigeria that the US or other western countries have added either the HIV virus or a sterilizing agent to polio vaccines being distributed by the World Health Organization. The rumor has caused a marked increase in the number of polio cases in the country, due to Muslim clerics urging parents not to have their children vaccinated. It has also caused the Nigerian strain of polio to travel to other nations.

For some time the Arab press reported that there was a plot by Jews to make Egyptian and Palestinian schoolgirls sexually promiscuous by selling them bubble-gum laced with aphrodisiacs.

Kentucky Fried Chicken-It is sometimes claimed that the franchise is owned by the Ku Klux Klan, and the chicken is laced with a drug that makes only black men impotent.

</font id="blue">

...and naturally the best one of all as entertained by our friends in soapbox:

<font color="blue">Global warming Many writers have claimed that the theory of human-caused global warming is a deliberate fraud, perpetrated for financial or ideological reasons </font id="blue">

[xx(][xx(]

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gary Askwith</i>

Kentucky Fried Chicken-It is sometimes claimed that the franchise is owned by the Ku Klux Klan, and the chicken is laced with a drug that makes only black men impotent.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That's a blatent lie - it affected me as well. [:I]
  • ankev1
    ankev1 Posts: 3,686
    Redders,

A serious point: I don't think British Muslims have been subject to any oppression. They have however been subject to a lot of criticism. Now it's clearly not fair to criticise them all but Muslim terrorist attacks cannot be dismissed as the work of a tiny fringe as this poll shows. They enjoy the support of a minority but it is not a small or insignificant minority and, if that poll is an accurate reflection, there are far too many who are in some sort of denial.

This is all compounded by the seeming response of the left in general (this is not a dig at you) who seem to regard any criticism of anything Muslim as racism. It is not although I've no doubt that racists would like to exploit any anti-Muslim feeling if they could. Thus we end up with people who pride themselves on their tolerance and liberality sticking up for a highly illiberal, extremely puritan and somewhat mysogenic and homophobic religion, which, probably in part because of those tendencies, spawns a significant minority who are prepared to condone terrorism. It is right to oppose such a movement, religion, call it what you will as it is in desperate need of reformation.

That's a well made point about Bloody Sunday BTW but I see no equivalent with Muslims in the role of Ulster catholics.
  • Landslide
    Landslide Posts: 34
    I'm interested by the feelings that:

"Some of those interviewed by Channel 4 claimed the CCTV images of the four men arriving at Luton station en route to London were faked. Some also dismissed as fake the "martyrdom" videos left by Mohammad Sidique Khan and Shehzad Tanweer, in which they admitted to the atrocities"

Whilst at first this claim seemed to me to be rather far-fetched, I then thought on the fact that I've only ever been exposed to 'Western' media re: the july 7th attacks, 'martyrdom videos' and the like.

Therefore, my question is: Do any forum members (or friends/associates) have any experience of alternative media (Al Jazeera etc.) that might show a different take on the bombings, or offer a more 'corroborative' airing of the 'martyrdom videos'?
  • pgscp
    pgscp Posts: 1,102
    The arch demon himself summed it up:

"The people always believe what they want to believe"

Adolf Hitler.

So ruthless people can use and manipulate that fact for their own ends, if you can guess what the people want to believe, however irrational, then you can work on this with lies and deceipt until they live out their fantasies under your evil direction. With little effort you can twist their beliefs in your direction. A religious society is very helpful in that respect, the irrational aspect of their minds is half way towards the goal of manipulation. It is the fundamental principle of religion and of propaganda, or political creeds such as Communism, or Facism, it is the bed rock of the advertising industry. It is a fault in our wiring from the evolutionary process.

Roll over Machiavelli Baby!
  • pgscp
    Thought for the day

This is displacement behaviour by religionists, faced with the inevitable stupidity of their stance they create an option that justifies their irrational position. Religion is total bunkum from beginning to end, so all religions tend to create a displacement cause, Anti Evolution, Anti Abortion, Embedding themselves within the Establishment, interfering with all our lives and freedoms, separation disguised as "The Faith Community", whacky dress codes e.g some Orthodox Jews, subjugation of women and their rights...Islam/some Judaism/some Christianity, indoctrination (Give me the child before nine years old and I will show you the man, ...The Jesuits,), ritual and rights, assuming a false sense of high moral ground. They are all rotten to the core and their followers sadly misled.
  • pgscp
    Marlboro cigarettes said to be owned by the Klan, is it true?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gary Askwith</i>

That's a blatent lie - it affected me as well. [:I]
  • Gary Askwith
    PGS makes some telling points...conspiracy theories about accidents (Diana, Asian tsunami etc) and terrorist/assassinations ( 911, JFK etc) also have a deep psychological content- the denial of the possibility of random death.... people find comfort in the thought that it was part of a intricate epic plot rather than a meaningless, mindless accident

• ankev1
    ankev1 Posts: 3,686
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gary Askwith</i>

PGS makes some telling points...conspiracy theories about accidents (Diana, Asian tsunami etc) and terrorist/assassinations ( 911, JFK etc) also have a deep psychological content- the denial of the possibility of random death.... <b>people find comfort in the thought that it was part of a intricate epic plot rather than a meaningless, mindless accident</b>

I think you've got it there. The tsunami was apparently down to Indonesian women being not strictly Islamic enough.

The veracity of a conspiracy theory is probably inversely proportional to the amount of checkable facts you can produce which support the theory. Of those you list, only the JFK assassination suggests that something murky was going on.
  • Some conspiracy theories are born of a desire to deny involvement in an atrocity. It's easier to say that someone else planted a bomb than it is to say that it was people from your community/race/religion.