Pannier advice please

Unknown
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
Hi guys,

I am trying to kit out my newly acquired Carerra subway one with some panniers, it already has a solid rack.

I purchased these, and I know they are cheap, but I'm not overly impressed:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Thro ... ags-(MSRP-œ29.99)-per-pair-12905.htm

They fit reasonably well, and securely, but the biggest problem that seems insurmountable is that your heels clip the bags when you pedal, unless you put your foot half way or more over the pedal, which is no solution at all.

I will rarely need loads of space, just a bit on top would do nicely, and maybe a quick release mechanism/system where I can take it off and bring it into work with my stuff in.

Is there anything like this on the market?

I was thining of maybe just bungy cording my rucksack to the rack, but am aware it's not even mildly waterproof.

I was also looking at:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-SJSC ... -12719.htm
And:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-0-De ... -13792.htm

The latter has a useful rucksack adaptor, but again I worry about the heel clipping problem.

What does everyone else do....???

Cheers

Dan

Comments

• I bought a Crumpler 'messenger' bag which I strap to the top of my rack. As I've a train journey and walk after (and before on the way home) my cycle, the shoulder strap and ease of carrying is useful.
    It's a great bag and (I hope) reasonably water proof. And, usefully, if I've not too much in it can wear it on the bike too (although usually I much prefer not having a bag on my back).

However, it is a bit of a palaver to strap and unstrap it from the rack each end. So, I'm thinking a large saddle bag with quick release thing might be a better option. Something like this: http://www.carradice.co.uk/sqr-saddlepa ... trax.shtml
    Carradice seem to make a load of different bags with many different sizes.

It's not obvious if any have shoulder straps for off the bike use though: Anyone know? Or have any experience of the larger Carradice saddle bags?
  • dubnobass
    dubnobass Posts: 337
    I've got a pair of Ortleib 'front roller' Plus panniers (with the QL2 fitting) which seem to tick all the boxes you have, um, suggested. They're smaller than full-size panniers ('front' denoting that they're meant to go on a front rack) and are completely waterproof. They've got a roll-top, so the size is adjustable - one does me for puncture repair kit, toolkit, lights, change of clothes and some lunch, and I use the other one for carrying shopping.

They adjust to fit all sorts of racks (and come with adapters for the attachment clips so that they can be fitted to skinny or fat racks). They can be adjusted to sit at an angle to avoid the heel-clipping problem you've described.

They have a quick release mechanism which is integrated with the top handle/strap - you pull the strap towards the pannier, which then unclips the two clips which hook over the top rails of the rack. Then you lift the bag off the rack and walk off with it.. usually takes about 5 seconds to clip on, or to remove.

They come with shoulder straps and cost about œ55 for the pair. I can't see me ever replacing these things until they wear out, because they do everything I need panniers to do and be.

No, I don't work for Ortleib [:D].

<font size="1">If I had a baby elephant, I'd re-enact THAT scene from Blue Peter, with John Noakes, on a daily basis. Wouldn't you? <i>"Ooh, gerroff me foot!"</i></font id="size1">
    Only so many songs can be sung with two lips two lungs and one tongue
  • frogcp
    frogcp Posts: 1,194
    What dubnobass said - and I don't work for them either [;)]

Vultures circling high in a clear blue sky - must be a traffic jam near by.

Vultures circling high in a clear blue sky - must be a traffic jam near by.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    "PANNIERS. Bags which have been modified to be attached to a bicycle for the purpose of carrying approximately 50% more than you need. Similar to a purse. When shopping, look for panniers with a large capacity and don't buy them, as they just make your bicycle heavier."

http://www.bikereader.com/contributors/ ... ssary.html

Baby elephants? Pah!!
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    Ortleib basic panniers work best for me. I don't find them too big for a trip (or shopping), but you can always just use one anyway.

But lots of the time I use an Altura expandable rack bag. Convenient and holds enough for commuting. Not fully waterproof, although a couple of carrier bags to wrap stuff in does the trick for free.
  • Would this be any good for you?[:)]

http://www.discountbicycles.co.uk/biz/p ... &xSec=4089

im thinking of getting it
  • Hey Charlotte, that looks VERY interesting!

It doesn't explain how it attaches, I wonder how securely it fastens, and how stable it is when cornering!

If you want it for œ3 less including delivery then you can get it from here, gives good piccies as to how the 'mini panniers' work as well.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Avenir-Pannier-Ra ... dZViewItem

Cheers

Dan
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Carradice are very tough, durable, lightweight and well designed.
    They use a quick-release locking a bit like the Ortleib: old-fashioned hook and elastic is nowhere near as quick or secure.
    They have a heel cutout shape so can be mounted further forward.
    Fits any style of rack and has for-aft adjustment.
    Has lightweight stiffening in the back and base.

Both Ortleib and Carradice are expensive but well worth the investment, mine are 10 yrs old and going strong.

Most commuters use a single pannier, it doesnt affect balance and can be loaded up heavily for shorter journeys.
  • What dubnobass and frog said - and that makes 3 of us who don't work for them. Except I have a set of Ortlieb Sport Packer Plus, again the front set (mounted on the rear) which is bang on for A4 size paperwork. The one bag is plenty for my daily commute. Had them for 3 years, used daily winter to summer in all weathers and yes they are waterproof. Not cheap, but looks like they will go on, and on, and on and...
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by enjoy_the_ride</i>

What dubnobass and frog said - and that makes 3 of us who don't work for them. Except I have a set of Ortlieb Sport Packer Plus, again the front set (mounted on the rear) which is bang on for A4 size paperwork. The one bag is plenty for my daily commute. Had them for 3 years, used daily winter to summer in all weathers and yes they are waterproof. Not cheap, but looks like they will go on, and on, and on and...
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Ive got the same panniers and I'd agree. I just tend to use one, I put a scrunch bag in the front pocket and with that and the snow sack I'm never stuck for space and its easy to carry. I also added the Ortlieb inset.
    I dont know if it the same for all panniers but the the Ortliebs I have (sport packer plus & office bag) have clipos that can be easily rotated to avoid the heel zone

If I had a baby elephant, who would take it for walks?