clincher problem

Dellcp
Dellcp Posts: 42
edited June 2007 in Workshop
hi i have just brought new Shimano pedals SPD-SL and Nike shoe and after many years of cycling I have decieded to try and get the correct riding position.

I have fitted the cleat on to the sole of my shoe and what ever posioion I put the cleat in if it be back or forwards it is not right and and what ever possition I put the sadle in back or forward the ball of my foot is about one centemetre in front of the peddle axle.
When I drop the plum line from my knee it does not line up.

What would you recoment the plum line drops from my knee to the centre of the axle or my knee to the ball of my foot which is one centremeter in front of the pedel axle.

If this sounds confusing then your right and any help would be greatful and does anyone know were i'm going wrong.

Has anyone had the same problem and how did you solve it.

Comments

• gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    Lets us get the terminology correct. The things attached to the sole of your shoe are termed 'cleats' not clinchers. Clinchers are the term used for the most commonly used tyres on road and MTB.

I would not worry about dropping a plumb line. Fit the cleats, get on the bike and have a look at where the ball of your foot is in relation to the axle. It should be 'about' on top of the axle. Some will suggest it should be just in front and some on top. It is not a millimetre perfect measurement.

Adjust the cleats accordingly and ride the bike for a few rides.

After you have become comfortable with them, you may want to adjust them forward / back and side to side and angled depending on your own needs.
  • Dellcp
    Dellcp Posts: 42
    Thanks for your reply to the above post.
    I wasnt laughting when I posted this but then looking at your reply I realised that I had wrote clinchers instead of cleats I was stressed when I wrote the post as I could not figure it out.
    Now the thought of fixing tyres to the bottom of my shoes? the mind boggles.
    The ball of my foot is one centermeter in front of the axle cant move the cleat any more forward so I am going to go out on a few rides and see how I get on.

Thanks
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    Sorry to be pedantic, but it's <font size="6">axle</font id="size6">, <u>NOT</u> "acksal" [}:)]
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    Look on the cleats to see if you can move them forwards or backwards, they usually have three screws in a slot, you loosen the screws and move the cleats forward or backwards.
  • Easyridercp
    Easyridercp Posts: 217
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by on the road</i>

Sorry to be pedantic, but it's <font size="6">axle</font id="size6">, <u>NOT</u> "acksal" [}:)]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That was one miss-spelling amongst many!

It made for quite a painful read.