Track Stand

jhon
jhon Posts: 37
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
Is it really possible? I've tried it so many times... it just doesn't work. That cycle front and back slightly thing... never works.

Comments

• bretty77
    bretty77 Posts: 110
    Yep it definitely is possible - just in the process of getting to grips with it myself.
    Here's a good place to start:

http://www.63xc.com/gregg/101_12.htm

Summer route
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Oh yes, just keep working on it.

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • to learn its easier with a slight up hill

favorite foot forwards (play about to find out which that is) and up at about 12 past if you looked at that crank from off the bike

use the tension in the chain to hold yourself there not the brakes

turn the front wheel sideways to aid balance, about 50 deg
  • njc97
    njc97 Posts: 184
    Easier on a fixie, that way you can pedal backwards*

*caveat - I still can't do it on my fixed, but that's me being a numptie.
  • I find the camber of the road is enough slope to use to balance. Just a little nudge up the camber, roll back, nudge up etc...

Problem is, I just moved to Canada so rather than turning the wheel right into the camber, I now have to turn it left which messed me right up. Had to basically re-learn trackstanding which was a bit of a pain but its good that I'll now be able to trackstand whereever I am in the world!
  • I am useless at trackstanding my fixie, but I can do a sitting trackstand quite easily on either my MTB or roadie (can't do it standing thoguh!

• I can do a very-slowly-moving-forward-stand, but not a trackstand. Working on it [:)]

Hmm?
  • I can't wait to get back on my bike and practice those - track stands are the coolest thing since cool things were invented in my humble opinion!!!! I am desperate to learn how to do one - that and a wheelie!!!![:)]

**All I'm trying to do is get to work**
    **All I\'m trying to do is get to work**
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    Why would you want to ? you just look like an arse

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hevipedal</i>

Why would you want to ? you just look like an arse
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Maybe, but a very skilled one. [;)]

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • They help me a lot. On my singlespeed, I don't particularly want to put a foot down unless I really have to, so being able to trackstand at islands or red lights helps a lot. Learn them pointing slightly uphill, then you can adapt them.
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    I'm getting close but have had a couple of close moments where i've lost it and only just been able to uncleat in time.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    For a while a I could either track stand on my fix, or gears, but not both, without relearning for a few mins.
    I can now wait motionless on gears, but need to rock a bit on fixed. It's slightly different, but whatever you do don't learn using your brakes. It's cheating, and a bit naff.

Mike
  • chuckles
    chuckles Posts: 44
    Hi Everyone I am new here but have stalked for a while now,

I really love to try track-standing, what is the secret please?

Chuckles
    Chuckles
  • hairytoes
    hairytoes Posts: 645
    Stand on pedals. Turn front wheel sideways. Lean so that bike starts to run *backwards* on front wheel, push down on pedals to stop it, also use front brake.

You are getting good at it when you can do one on a steep downhill slope.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Woolly Mammoths are just cuddly elephants
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Woolly Mammoths are just cuddly elephants