What to wear and look respectable!!!

flinni
flinni Posts: 6
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Hello peeps,

I've just bought a new hybrid and although I'm not new to cycling, I'm fairly new to the whole 'cycling club' / 'cycling in a group' thing. My question is; what is the most appropriate cycling clothing to wear in summer for daily town/city commutes and weekend leisure rides with the missus. I live in Warrington and work in Manchester, so over the top pink lycra is likely to result in a kicking (or stoning depending on how fast you peddle) from the local Burberry chavs. At the same, I need something that is appropriate for road riding in the hot summer months. Obviously tops/shirts are ok, but it's the shorts I'm concerned about. What do people recommend? Bibs, shorts, all-in-ones etc.. etc.. Any ideas on what is comfortable and understated?

Thx

Iain

Comments

• Definately a skinsuit - and make sure you shave your legs as well. All that sprinting to get away from the townies will soon whip you into shape....

Seriously though - most cyclists wear tight lycra because it is the most comfortable. It keeps you dry (ish) in the heat - doesn't rub anywhere and doesn't flap about. Bib shorts are good beacuse they don't slide down at the back so keep you covered up.

If you are worried about looking silly then there are mountain bike shorts out there which are baggy and look like 'normal' shorts. Just go with whatever you are happiest wearing.

It's ALL about the bike.
    Put me back on my bike...

t' blog: http://meandthemountain.wordpress.com/
  • nun
    nun Posts: 434
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by flinni</i>

Hello peeps,

I've just bought a new hybrid and although I'm not new to cycling, I'm fairly new to the whole 'cycling club' / 'cycling in a group' thing. My question is; what is the most appropriate cycling clothing to wear in summer for daily town/city commutes and weekend leisure rides with the missus. I live in Warrington and work in Manchester, so over the top pink lycra is likely to result in a kicking (or stoning depending on how fast you peddle) from the local Burberry chavs. At the same, I need something that is appropriate for road riding in the hot summer months. Obviously tops/shirts are ok, but it's the shorts I'm concerned about. What do people recommend? Bibs, shorts, all-in-ones etc.. etc.. Any ideas on what is comfortable and understated?

Thx

Iain

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    My embarrasing girth stops me from putting on the lycra so I wear light merino wool T-shirts, they don't cling like cotton and are very comfortable. On the bottom I wear 3/4 length pants, if you can afford the outrageous price of Rapha Fixed shorts I recommend them. They cost 2x what I'd usually pay, but they are really nice pants for riding in all but the hottest temps and are my default bottoms.

www.rapha.cc

You might also look at some of the MTB shorts wear which tends to be less figure hugging.They have elasticated inner shorts covered by what looks like regular "baggy" shorts
  • Tom753
    Tom753 Posts: 737
    You can wear proper cycling shorts with "normal" light summer 3/4 length trousers over them, a lot cheaper than the cycling trousers/baggies with inserts, which are IMO ridiculously overpriced.

<font color="black"><div align="right"><i><font size="1"><font face="Comic Sans MS"> My fixed bike </font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size1"></i></div id="right"></font id="black">
  • Adam_57
    Adam_57 Posts: 85
    What Tom753 sed.

Buy a couple of pairs of proper cycling shorts (dhb from Wiggle ar cheap and OK). When you want to be understated, wear something "normal" over the top of them - light trousers, normal shorts, whatever. If and when you're not bothered about being understated, just wear the shorts.
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    its taken me 3 months,i am still big boned[8D] and am now liberated !!!!! lycra shorts for me !!!!!!!! much more comfy[8)] and quite frankly dont give a sh*t what anyone thinks !!!!!

i'd rather have a bottle in front of me,than a frontal lobotomy

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    im definitely not coming out on a cycle with you now urrrrrrrrrs you are cabbie and someone that wears lycra [:p]

http://img501.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bikeim9.jpg
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    i wont tell you what me girlfriend said about me and lycra[:p]

well the deer in richmond park didn't say a thing[:)] come to think of it nor did anyone else !

i'd rather have a bottle in front of me,than a frontal lobotomy

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    You can get padded cycling underwear to use under normal hiking style shorts, or use std bike shorts as underwear.
    A cycling jersey with normal shorts is pretty respectable. Black socks will get you pulled over and fined by the fashion police.
    In the UK climate you can use cotton T shirts for summer leisure rides. These can be uncomfortable or even dangerous for intense hilly cycing in cold conditions. Synthetic wicking material handles sweat much better but Merino is the bees knees.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    ive got some fashionable blood on some socks which i was wearing when i crashed... i might make them my designated cycling socks now!

http://img501.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bikeim9.jpg
  • I've spent plenty of time cycling around south Manchester and out towards Warrington in full lycra and never had any problems with chavs or the like.
  • For normal looking baggy shorts and shirts I would recommend www.groundeffect.co.nz.

For the shirts they do both clingy roadie style and baggy MTB style. Most of the colours are fairly subdued apart from Limelight.

I rarely get abuse around here wearing their kit.

I also like merino base layers and T shirts except when it is really hot and humid
  • flinni
    Thanks all.

Well the 'beating by the yobs' comment was very much tongue in cheek and to be honest Monnet I don't imagine I'll have any real issues. As johnpsanderson said, 'its all about the bike' and I'd have to agree with urrrrrrrrrs that in reality, it doesn't matter what you look like.

I'm more interested to know what is comfortable and I think you have answered that with a couple of good suggestions. The bib shorts seem like a good option and the merino base layers / rapha fixed shorts sound good too. Luckily for me I don't have the girth issues that nun does, however I do have a tendency to sweat excessively whenever I do any exercise. It's not a fitness thing; I think its just chemistry/genetics issue as it's always been a problem. The main problem I had from days in the gym/running was excessive chafing, especially around the nipples. So anything that is light weight, quick drying and cuts this down is a good start. Having to wear girly nipple tape isn't something I'd be particularly keen on.

Thanks for all the suggestions. :)
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    If you go down the baggy 3/4 shorts / undershorts route, then look at quality undershorts from the likes of Lifa rather than lycra - which can get extremely sweaty if worn under something else. Endura Humvee 3/4's are cheap and look good enough for casual wear - plenty of pockets too. For my short commute to work I generally wear baggies, otherwise is scares the women in the office!
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    wear what you find comfortable and forget about respectability.......

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • flinni
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hevipedal</i>

wear what you find comfortable and forget about respectability.......

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007

Excellent a Floyd fan....

I know a mouse and he hasn't got a house I don't why I call him Gerald. He's getting rather old, but he's a good mouse :)
  • alecstilleyedye
    alecstilleyedye Posts: 1,170
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MichaelW</i>

You can get padded cycling underwear to use under normal hiking style shorts, or use std bike shorts as underwear.
    A cycling jersey with normal shorts is pretty respectable. <b>Black socks will get you pulled over and fined by the fashion police.</b>
    In the UK climate you can use cotton T shirts for summer leisure rides. These can be uncomfortable or even dangerous for intense hilly cycing in cold conditions. Synthetic wicking material handles sweat much better but Merino is the bees knees.

WTF is it with the white socks stuff[?][?] if i wear my apple cycling shirt (black) with my shorts (black) and cycling shoes (blue/black) on my (black or (red/black) bikes white socks will look utter sh<i></i>ite. if the black socks i wear are cycling specific what's the problem?
    <awaits tedious "you shouldn't wear black and should wear a high viz vest" comments>rant over</awaits etc>

if i had a better signature, i'd use that instead
    riding on my bicycle, i saw a motorcrash…
  • ut_o_cykla
    ut_o_cykla Posts: 58
    White socks ONLY! and short as possible to show off tanned, shaved legs and rippling muscles (read fat!) ;-)

I use lycra shorts despite the fact a lot of people would say I'm too old/fat etc. 'cos they are comfy in nearly all conditions. In Sweden when lycra 'cycle' shorts (minus padding) were 'in' they used to be called 'mumble shorts' because when you couldn't here what people said you could always read the lips. Ooops! Hope the moderator doesn't pull this!

Anyway you can get not very shiny lycra and plain/sensible fancy material tops and be comfy and not feel like a twerp - you ARE worth it!

pousse moi s'il vous plait
    pousse moi s\'il vous plait