England's National Day

rothbook
rothbook Posts: 943
edited June 2007 in Campaign
http://www.guardian.co.uk/immigration/s ... 19,00.html

Ministers want to introduce a national British day to complete a "citizenship revolution" that would also toughen rules for migrants and try to instil community pride in all 18-year-olds.
Under the plans to be unveiled this week, every teenager in the UK would be given a citizenship pack when they became eligible to vote, and migrants would only be able to become British citizens if they could demonstrate good behaviour and a willingness to integrate.

The national day, which could be a bank holiday, would be loosely modelled on Australia Day.

End quote.

Any ideas?

Probably best to steer away from war anniversaries ( I think it's a bit churlish to have Eurostar trains arrive from France at....Waterloo station)

How about Oliver Reed's birthday?

Comments

• spire
    spire Posts: 4,077
    Martin

Ruth Kelly was talking about this on 'Today' this morning. The sound of her voice makes me feel nauseous, so I am immediately prejudiced against the idea.
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    Your title's wrong though... England already has a national day. Britain doesn't.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • rothbook
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> England already has a national day. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Not a Bank Holiday though. I'm kind of concerned that the day will be related to a military victory or something.

Nationalism presupposes an enemy.
  • ankev1
    ankev1 Posts: 3,686
    Rothbook,

what on earth are you on about ref Waterloo station? It annoys the French and that is good enough reason to do anything. (A French minister actually complained about it!) Anyway if it upsets them they've only got themselves to blame as they should have put up a better fight.

As to the main issue. It's one of these things which seems good in principle but the British (i.e. the native variety) are so jaded and cynical about such things that it would probably be a flop. Wannabee Brits OTH would probably take it seriously and then wonder why they were bothering as nobody else seems to give a toss.

As for the choice of date, well it probably ought to reflect history and national identity, therefore we need to identify the date which would offend the max possible number of foreigners. Anybody got a history book to hand?
  • rothbook
    Ok FM, if it has to be a BRITISH day then what can appeal to the sweaty socks as well as the Taffs and the potato-eating sons of the sod from the land of blarney?
  • spire
    spire Posts: 4,077
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> England already has a national day. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Not a Bank Holiday though. I'm kind of concerned that the day will be related to a military victory or something.

Nationalism presupposes an enemy.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sadly it's nothing to do with a military victory, and everything to do with a spin-obsessed government trying to simultaneously embrace middle Britain while covering up out-of-control immigration.
  • The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    I hate 'days', why do we constantly have to have this day and that day. Is there even a day left in the year that isn't 'something' day?
  • rothbook
    I means we can drink all day Sunday and have the Monday off.

This is a Good Thing.
  • thomasb
    thomasb Posts: 631
    Yet an extra BH, no spin or agenda attached, is an excellent idea
    We have far fewer than most countries
  • rothbook
    But in Italy or Spain, where they get loads of BH@s, if it falls on the weekend it doesn't count, I think.
  • ankev1
    ankev1 Posts: 3,686
    BH is the German abbreviation for brassiere. This could get very confusing.
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    I have no objection to having more bank holidays at all. It's not as if I will actually be going out and celebrating anything apart from my bike!

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • Lefire
    Lefire Posts: 89
    One day ? I think we should get the whole of August off.
  • mmoo
    mmoo Posts: 142
    Britons used to celebrate Empire Day - 24th May, so that day is free now

Martyn

<center><font color="brown">
    <font size="3"><i>/\/\/\/\00</i></font id="size3">
    <font size="1">TrafficParticle </font id="size1">
    </center></font id="brown">
    <center><font>
    <font><i>/\/\/\/\00</i></font>
    <font>TrafficParticle </font>
    </center></font>
  • rothbook
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> I think we should get the whole of August off. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Or, instead of putting the clocks forward in March, we should put them forward every day and then once a month we'd have Monday off!
  • redcogs
    redcogs Posts: 3,232
    i'm looking forward to the 'day' we can all celebrate the casting off of international capitalist oppression.

OK, it might not be next week, or even the following one, but in the meantime perhaps we should reinvest some significance in May Day as Workers Day - and begin with singing Jerusalem and the 'Internationale' as we march on 'The City' to tear down a few citadels.

VENCEREMOS!

<font size="1">please look up to the stars.. </font id="size1"><font size="6"><font color="red">***</font id="red"></font id="size6">
    <font size="1">please look up to the stars.. </font id="size1"><font size="6"><font color="red">***</font id="red"></font id="size6">
  • Melvil
    Melvil Posts: 2,219
    Ooh lord.

Steady on, redders.

I think a British-Cliche-day would be a good idea.

We could all sit outside in top hats and tails, drinking tea from bone china cups, being quiet and orderly and eating horrible food whilst trying to ignore our horrible teeth and waiting for the chaperone to go so we can have a few 'dirty words' with our fiances.

Just an idea, mind.

******************************************************************************
    See Baby Elephants and more at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/47331519@N00/
  • redcogs
    You're gently taking the wee aren't you Melvil?

Never heard of self parody then?

Pass out the arms and ammo..

• Landslide
    Landslide Posts: 34
    I think it's a shame that despite these proposals looking to improve the citizenship and community cohesion of the entire nation ("every teenager in the UK would be given a citizenship pack when they became eligible to vote"), the article immedately shifts the focus onto migrants, rather than the sectors of society who 1) cause grief and misery for the rest of society, and 2) were born British.

Apart from that I'm all for another public holiday. How about some time in February? That's the armpit of the year, it could do with cheering up a bit.
  • Melvil
    Melvil Posts: 2,219
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redcogs</i>

You're gently taking the wee aren't you Melvil?

Never heard of self parody then?

Pass out the arms and ammo..

I was, I admit it. [:p]

******************************************************************************
    See Baby Elephants and more at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/47331519@N00/
  • QuickDraw
    QuickDraw Posts: 64
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>

Ok FM, if it has to be a BRITISH day then what can appeal to the sweaty socks as well as the Taffs and the potato-eating sons of the sod from the land of blarney?

Independence Day?
  • redcogs
    If that former vulgar loudmouthed horror Ian Paisley and Gerry Adams can bury the hatched there must be a twinkle of hope for a unifying Day of Celebration. Perhaps that's it - 'Celebration Day', a celebration without any particular religious, political, nationalist significance - more a 'Humanity Day'.

i'm coming over all touchy feely since i moved tut Moray Firth.

• Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    Waterloo station upsets the French?
    What is Paris Austerlitz named after?

If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • simoncp
    simoncp Posts: 3,260
    New Labour are worried about the Scottish election results. That's why they are so keen for us to celebrate the UK - England is Tory territory.
  • redcogs
    Not really. There is a contested situation in England, just as there is anywhere. The current balance of 'class forces' is strongly favouring a status quo conservative (small 'c') 'steady as she goes' politics. Of course, that conceals , as a velvet glove might hide an iron fist, the extent to which working people are being made to enrich the 'elite' through a process of increased and increasing economic exploitation, involving imposed technological change, work place speed ups, the bullying boss culture, and the severe and deliberate curtailment of the welfare state etc.

This situation cannot and will not last. At some stage, despite the strutting arrogance of the dominant rich and their ugly supporters in the middling ranks (recognise anyone?), the tide will turn and begin to run against the false contentment.

It will be the time for the 'subordinate' true creators of wealth, the working class, to 'shake their chains to earth like dew', and take back what is so richly deserved.

Roll on the day.

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>

I suspect those of us from 3 of the 4 home countries of Great Britain would prefer NOT to share in any celebration with you, given your attitude.

I meant it in a loving way. And I'm Irish. I just can't think of a unifying day that wouldn't involve wars or something.
  • Cab
    Cab Posts: 770
    We should celebrate Trafalgar Day. That way we'll irritate the French <i>and</i> the Spanish.

Its just a shame that there isn't an obvious day that would upset those two nations and the Germans and Italians at the same time.

<i>Free baby elephants for every citizen</i>
    Vote Arch for Prime Minister
  • rothbook
    Um, offence was what I thought should be avoided.

Shakespeare day?
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    Why don't we just have a "pootling about" holiday? based on nothing else but pootling about, no mention needed of specific historical days - how about the Monday closest to the longest day so we can go out and "pootle" for as long as possible.