speeding police

stelvio
stelvio Posts: 1,422
edited June 2007 in Campaign
NINETY thousand police were caught on camera speeding or jumping red lights last year - but only 354 were punished.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories ... -19212538/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1770

Is there a a connection with
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/6716099.stm
?

Comments

• So if you dial 999 what speed would you like the police to arrive at? Quite quick to my house please.[8D]
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Jeez - why the hell are you reading those rags anyway ?
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    Are the Mail & the Mirror the adult versions of the Beano & the Dandy?

http://bangkokhippo.blogspot.com/

Ex-XXL weigh-in 9/10 June: Update published: Monday 11 June
  • stelvio
    <font color="red"><font size="1"><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bob the dog</i>

So if you dial 999 what speed would you like the police to arrive at? Quite quick to my house please.[8D]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></font id="size1"></font id="red">

"In one quarter of the cases the cameras caught the marked cars with their blue flashing lights - suggesting officers were attending an emergency."

The vast majority of these episodes do not seem to have been anything to do with 999 calls.
  • stelvio
    <font color="red"><font size="1">
    <i>Originally posted by cougie</i>

Jeez - why the hell are you reading those rags anyway ?</font id="size1"></font id="red">

I'm having a rest day
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    one day when i was on the motorway, doing about 80mph i would say, a cop car past me in the outside lane and shocked the hell out of me. no blue lights, no sirens but he was doing well over a tonne, i would estimate <u>at least </u>130mph, if not more, at the speed he passed me. it shook the hell out of my car.

now i know i'm a woman so automatically you are going to presume i don't use my mirrors (or at least not for the right reasons [:D]) but being a cyclist i think improves my driving, i do a lot of motorway driving and even had blokes comment on it when they've got in the car with me. my sister and bro are good drivers also (and sister drives ambulance for a living) so i think i might have a good gene somewhere. so i reckon if i get good comments from both the gals and the boys, then i can't be that bad, and i know i'm pretty observant with my mirrors etc, but i swear i never saw him coming <u>and </u>he was going so fast that i reckon even if i was gonna change lanes and had checked my mirrors, without his lights and sirens i would no way have known he was there, or if i did see him way back in my mirror i would have not known he would have been on top of me so fast (fnaar fnaar).

but seriously, that's outrageous init? to drive that fast with no sirens or blue lights! it's completely lawless.

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

• stelvio
    Nah, perfectly safe, he was just familiarising himself with the characteristics of a new car and his driving was always consistent with the training of an advanced driver.
    see
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shro ... 461977.stm
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    So the only time the cops can drive at speed is when they are responding to an emergency. Do you not think there is a need for some high speed driver training?
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    There is no reason why the police cannot train.

That is the important part - train.

The numpty in the story was speeding, not training.

To train there must be some form of assessment, by an independent assessor independent of the student. This is also a safety feature as the assessor cancel off the exercise.

There should also be some form of permission for these training exercises.

Without such safeguards it is simply joyriding.

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • longers75
    longers75 Posts: 214
    A very good friend is an retired policeman and has got some stories which would make your hair curl. That's just the one's about the boys in blue.

Joyriding? It's a perk of the job to some.

<font size="1"> ~~~~~~~~~~~~</font id="size1">
    <font size="1"><i> I'm just going outside . . . I may be some time.</i></font id="size1">
  • Buggi
    There's nothing wrong with training or cop's driving at speed, but blue lights and a siren are surely mandatory when doing it on a public highway?

• Ashtrayhead
    Ashtrayhead Posts: 963
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Buggi</i>

one day when i was on the motorway, doing about 80mph i would say, a cop car past me in the outside lane and shocked the hell out of me. no blue lights, no sirens but he was doing well over a tonne, i would estimate <u>at least </u>130mph, if not more, at the speed he passed me. it shook the hell out of my car.

now i know i'm a woman so automatically you are going to presume i don't use my mirrors (or at least not for the right reasons [:D]) but being a cyclist i think improves my driving, i do a lot of motorway driving and even had blokes comment on it when they've got in the car with me. my sister and bro are good drivers also (and sister drives ambulance for a living) so i think i might have a good gene somewhere. so i reckon if i get good comments from both the gals and the boys, then i can't be that bad, and i know i'm pretty observant with my mirrors etc, but i swear i never saw him coming <u>and </u>he was going so fast that i reckon even if i was gonna change lanes and had checked my mirrors, without his lights and sirens i would no way have known he was there, or if i did see him way back in my mirror i would have not known he would have been on top of me so fast (fnaar fnaar).

but seriously, that's outrageous init? to drive that fast with no sirens or blue lights! it's completely lawless.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That's how Police drivers do high speed training. It was great fun when I did mine in the old V8 SD1. Not so good when we got back and had to clean the bugs off the front.

'Don't Walk, Don't Smoke, Don't Drink', Don't Think'

\'Don\'t Walk, Don\'t Smoke, Don\'t Drink\', Don\'t Think\'

'I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your f****n' mouth'
    Bill Hicks
  • rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    I think it's true that you are more likely to be killed by a police car on the pavement than a cyclist.
  • ankev1
    ankev1 Posts: 3,686
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Buggi</i>

now i know i'm a woman so automatically you are going to presume i don't use my mirrors (or at least not for the right reasons [:D]) but being a cyclist i think improves my driving, <b>i do a lot of motorway driving and even had blokes comment on it when they've got in the car with me.</b> my sister and bro are good drivers also (and sister drives ambulance for a living) so i think i might have a good gene somewhere. so i reckon if i get good comments from both the gals and the boys, then i can't be that bad, and i know i'm pretty observant with my mirrors etc, but i swear i never saw him coming <u>and </u>he was going so fast that i reckon even if i was gonna change lanes and had checked my mirrors, without his lights and sirens i would no way have known he was there, or if i did see him way back in my mirror i would have not known he would have been on top of me so fast (fnaar fnaar).

What do you mean? Sort of: "Oooh well done! Not only are we going in the right general direction but we're on the correct half of the dual carriageway!"
  • spire
    spire Posts: 4,077
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>

I think it's true that you are more likely to be killed by a police car on the pavement than a cyclist.

Martin, that's a corker!!

[:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • ankev1
    ankev1 Posts: 3,686
    Actually he's got a point there: cyclist mounts pavement and rams you. Result: dropped shopping and embarrassment on the part of the cyclist. Police (or any other car) does same and your shopping could be occupying the space normally reserved for your internal organs.
  • stelvio
    another little insight into mentality of your typical Mr Plod
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/6724645.stm
    weeed policeman crashes his car and four die
  • Buggi
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ankev1</i>

now i know i'm a woman so automatically you are going to presume i don't use my mirrors (or at least not for the right reasons [:D]) but being a cyclist i think improves my driving, <b>i do a lot of motorway driving and even had blokes comment on it when they've got in the car with me.</b> my sister and bro are good drivers also (and sister drives ambulance for a living) so i think i might have a good gene somewhere. so i reckon if i get good comments from both the gals and the boys, then i can't be that bad, and i know i'm pretty observant with my mirrors etc, but i swear i never saw him coming <u>and </u>he was going so fast that i reckon even if i was gonna change lanes and had checked my mirrors, without his lights and sirens i would no way have known he was there, or if i did see him way back in my mirror i would have not known he would have been on top of me so fast (fnaar fnaar).

What do you mean? Sort of: "Oooh well done! Not only are we going in the right general direction but we're on the correct half of the dual carriageway!"

actually, the blokes say "you drive like a man". i'm not actually sure whether that's a good thing tho, so don't tell my insurance company, they might hike up my premium! [:D]

• stelvio
  • Cretin
    Cretin Posts: 266
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by stelvio</i>

another little insight into mentality of your typical Mr Plod
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/6724645.stm
    weeed policeman crashes his car and four die

Thats a pretty offensive thing to suggest, that your 'average Mr Plod' is a drink driver. In fact its just downright pathetic.

In response to the OP, police cars do not have to use blues and twos when responding to a callout.
  • pzycoman
    pzycoman Posts: 285
    actually, the blokes say "you drive like a man". i'm not actually sure whether that's a good thing tho, so don't tell my insurance company, they might hike up my premium! [:D]

The same happens with one of my best friends - shes a bloody good driver and very assertive, and also because shes Scottish, she can string a nice list of swearwords at other idiots on the roads. Nothing todo with the fact that shes ex army (and old enough to be my mother)....
    Professional Kitten Huffer