What are the chances......

toontra
toontra Posts: 1,160
edited June 2007 in Tour & expedition
...of planning a 4-day tour and each day it turns out that you're cycling into a headwind.

That's what happened to me last week. First two days going NW (160 miles per day) into a NW headwind of between 10 - 20 mph. Third day (120) going N and the wind switches to a northerly of about 12 mph. The fourth day (110) when I'm going NE the wind again changes, this time to a light gale-force 35mph north-easterly!

Comparing this year with times past, I reckon this lot added a good several hours to the total ride time, and I was totally kn@cked by the end, feeling almost persecuted. Whatever happened to the "predominent south-westerlies" we get in the UK!

there's no such thing as steep hills - just the wrong gear

a serious case of small cogs

Comments

• Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Remember "vectors" from School....

Stand up, arms out straight.

A wind from any direction in front of your arms will have a "Head Wind" component!

Good news is anything behind you will have a "Tail Wind" componenet.

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    Toontra, have you arrived in not so sunny Angus? Let me know if you fancy gong for a pootle sometime and I'll see what I can do. I work in Arbroath so could head out one evening. Also, let me know what you ride and I'll look out for you on the road as I am usually out and about.
  • Dayvo
    Dayvo Posts: 1,882
    If you're on a four-day jaunt with destination unimportant, turn tail and hey presto! head wind becomes tail wind immediately; then repeat as and when necessary for the next three days. OK, you might see the same landscape over and over again, but, hey, you'll have the wind on your back all the time. [:)][;)]
    Sorry, that sounded like 'top tips' from Viz! [:I]

I get knocked down . . . but I get up again . . .
    I get knocked down . . . but I get up again . . .
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Noodley</i>

Toontra, have you arrived in not so sunny Angus? Let me know if you fancy gong for a pootle sometime and I'll see what I can do. I work in Arbroath so could head out one evening. Also, let me know what you ride and I'll look out for you on the road as I am usually out and about.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I have indeed! What with the clouds and the harr (sp.?) it's all a bit dismal. I'm playing a round of golf each day till I leave on Saturday, which is surprisingly knackering, so I'll give the ride a miss this time. Also my ar$e is still recovering from the trek!

I'm back up at the end of August for a couple of weeks - are you around then? I'll have more time and hopefully the weather will be a bit nicer. Cheers.

BTW, I'm on a 2006 (silver) Dawes Audax.

there's no such thing as steep hills - just the wrong gear

a serious case of small cogs
  • Asterixcp
    Asterixcp Posts: 6,251
    Headwinds keep you cool.

Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
    Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..