Girl knocked over by police car in Devon!!

Charlotte_Newbie
Charlotte_Newbie Posts: 100
edited June 2007 in Campaign
This is shocking![:0]

& they wasn`t even responding to an incident[:(!]. the police are such hypocrites!.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/6716099.stm

Comments

• I never did like the police.
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    WOW!!! You must have wonderful powers of deduction. Where in that article does it say that the police are at fault?

http://bangkokhippo.blogspot.com/

Ex-XXL weigh-in 9/10 June: Update published: Monday 11 June
  • Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Charlotte_Newbie</i>

This is shocking![:0]

& they wasn`t even responding to an incident[:(!]. the police are such hypocrites!.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/6716099.stm
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You seem to have more information on the incident than the story gives, to be able to come to that conclusion.

Care to enlighten us?

• Im not meaning to tar all police with the same brush[:I], but i just ment that its not always the case that the police are always innocent.....even though it may have been a unavoidable accident.

so i stand corrected in that i should of said that some & not all are "hypocrites".

i just hope the girl pulls through.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    You shouldn't jump to conclusions without knowing the facts.
  • Asterixcp
    Asterixcp Posts: 6,251
    Not a good advert for police driving IMO.

Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Asterix</i>

I think that depends on the circumstances/facts.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1

Fab's TCR1
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    I'd love to know how fast they were going at the time. Any car travelling at speed through a residential area should be pilloried imo, the very fact that the girl is in a critical condition is all the evidence required to know that they were travelling too fast for the conditions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Publica
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • Asterixcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fab Foodie</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Asterix</i>

I think that depends on the circumstances/facts.

Fab's TCR1

Not at all. As it stands, the news report is not a good advert for police driving.

The police are there to serve the community, making the streets a safer place to be. The street was certainly not safer for the child involved in this incident.

• mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    Please refrain making judgment until you are in a position to know the full facts. Some people are blaming excessive speed - I see no mention of it, do you? The girl is in critical condition - proof that they were travelling too fast for the conditions? How much force is needed to inflict serious head injury? Not a lot! What was the girl doing?
    Some posters are living in a cyclist's version of Animal Farm - Two wheels good, four wheels bad.

http://bangkokhippo.blogspot.com/

Ex-XXL weigh-in 9/10 June: Update published: Monday 11 June
  • Asterixcp
    ..and some posters seem to think that the current level of road casualty numbers is acceptable.

There is no cyclists 'animal farm': most cyclists, myself included drive as well as cycle.

Whatever the circumstances, such reports as this do not help to achieve greater levels of road safety and there should be a full and published investigation.

There was a time when police drivers were trained to drive 'defensively' and expected to be able to avoid accidents. Are all police drivers now trained to that level?

• andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    As I said on the 'lillopop man' thread, here we go again...

We have a news report that there's been a collision between a car and a pedestrian/cyclist. The report doesn't say what happened, it doesn't say who's at fault.

Yet despite this, some people on here come to the instant conclusion that the driver was at fault and that they were speeding.

Time to dig-out the Summer bike (why's it just started raining ? Is it something I said ?)
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    Andy, tell us this person is a coincidence!

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t ... c&start=45

If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • andy_wrx
    Which person - alanwxr ?

Dunno, seems to be a motorcyclist from Yorkshire who posts on CTC, so that's not me x 3

Time to dig-out the Summer bike (why's it just started raining ? Is it something I said ?)
  • snorri
    snorri Posts: 2,981
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>

the very fact that the girl is in a critical condition is all the evidence required to know that they were travelling too fast for the conditions.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    As this thread appears to have drifted in to fantasy, I will add my piece.
    I heard she fell off a bridge on to the roof of the police car.
  • stelvio
    stelvio Posts: 1,422
    given the contempt for the safety of other road users shown by many police officers, it would hardly be a suprise if excessive speed was a factor here; but probably best to wait and see what the investigation finds.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4619039.stm
    "New figures reveal that the number of people killed or injured in collisions involving police cars rose 60% in England and Wales last year."
    "BBC News spoke to Brian Stevens, whose daughter was hit by an unmarked police car last year. "
  • Tourist Tony
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andy_wrx</i>

Which person - alanwxr ?

Dunno, seems to be a motorcyclist from Yorkshire who posts on CTC, so that's not me x 3

(Breathes sigh of relief)
    He's a Landy and (spits) Harley owner trolling various fora at present.

• andy_wrx
    Not me, I'm far too thin to own a Harley[;)]

• Tourist Tony
    [:D]

• natureboyz
    natureboyz Posts: 82
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by snorri</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>

the very fact that the girl is in a critical condition is all the evidence required to know that they were travelling too fast for the conditions.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    As this thread appears to have drifted in to fantasy, I will add my piece.
    <b>I heard she fell off a bridge on to the roof of the police car.</b>

....and they didn't even notice because they were far too busy eating meat pie sandwiches and filling in their lottery cards whilst listening to 'Des O'Conner's Greatest Hits' on the Ipod they had just nicked off the local scallywag[8D]
  • Simon L2
    Simon L2 Posts: 2,908
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andy_wrx</i>

Not me, I'm far too thin to own a Harley[;)]

but you'll be big enough when you're old enough. Interesting - pretending to own a bicycle, a Harley and a Landrover. If you're going to do this then be a bit more careful with the name. We live in a googlable world.
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    You're all right of course, having streets that we can all use without fear of being killed or seriously injured by speeding cars and motor bikes and heavy goods vehicles not fit or safe to be driven in urban areas is a total fantasy. With w@nkers like you it's no wonder that our children are all confined to the house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Free Vaporizer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • andy_wrx
    Simon, if only I knew what you are on about !

Just for the record : I, andy_wrx, am not Alanwxr or whatever he's called.
    I don't own a motorbike or 4x4. I do own a car and several bikes (cycles - pushbikes !).

• Tourist Tony
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tourist Tony</i>

Which person - alanwxr ?

(Breathes sigh of relief)
    He's a Landy and (spits) Harley owner trolling various fora at present.

So this isn't you, then?
    http://jap-club.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=4646

• andy_wrx
    Nooo - not me either, that's andywrx and God only knows what that horrible white thing he drives is [xx(](although obviously not a Harley[xx(][xx(]).
  • jimbarrow
    jimbarrow Posts: 17
    Bristol traffic must be the most treacherous anywhere... the philosophy seems to be aim for the gap... no gap aim anyway! The police are no different from any others in that respect, having witnessed roundabout collisions caused by blue light reckless abandon. However, some of the Police in Bristol have just started patrolling on mountain bikes... I hope this means some of them may gain a little insight into the behaviour of some of their four wheeled collegues (unless like the cyclists everywhere they're too busy jumping curbs and red lights to notice).
  • The Endorser
    The Endorser Posts: 191
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Charlotte_Newbie</i>& they wasn`t even responding to an incident[:(!]. the police are such hypocrites!. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Whooaa. Hold on...

A few weeks back was sat at the traffic lights in my police car (broad daylight, hi vis marked Fucus, you'd need to have seriously deficient eyesight to miss it)and some d1ckw4d drove his mundano up my bottom at a fair old lick. I'm fine, but elderly mundano man injured both his knees, wrote off his own car and a fair bit of damage to the Farce Fucus estate.

I wasn't "responding to an incident" either - does that make me a hypocrite too?

There's no suggestion at this time that these bobbies were doing anything wrong, so why the pop at them?

<i><b>Taking the moral high ground since 1969</b></i>
    <i><b>Commute - you might even enjoy it!</b></i>
  • stelvio
    stelvio Posts: 1,422
    The Police have a responsibility to enforce the law, and protect vulnerable road users; they are failing rather badly in doing either.
    Part of the problem is that the average Mr/Ms Plod shares much the same attitudes as Mr D1ckhead Mondeo man.
    Drink driving for example
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/6724645.stm
    "The report confirmed that Mr Bridges, was three times over the French drink drive limit of 50mg alcohol per 100ml of blood ". Four dead.
  • The Endorser
    The Endorser Posts: 191
    I agree with what you say, but that's not the best example -I don't believe 'former' policeman quite cuts it. I'm a 'former' estate agent, but that won't cut much ice if I get caught being naughty.

As long as the police continue to employ human beings, and as long as they continue to employ folk solely on the colour of their skin/creed/race/religion, rather than their inherent aptitude to be an honest police officer, then you will continue o get d1ckhe4d policemen...and the honest, hardworking and conscientious majority of bobbies will continue to condemn them.

<i><b>Taking the moral high ground since 1969</b></i>
    <i><b>Commute - you might even enjoy it!</b></i>