New 2012 Olympic Logo

boxheadcp
boxheadcp Posts: 161
edited June 2007 in Campaign
Is it just me, or is this really the best we can come up with?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/olympics_2012/6718243.stm

Comments

• It's a bit pants really, they say it will evolve though...
  • Phil Scp
    Phil Scp Posts: 2,525
    that's $hit
  • simoncp
    simoncp Posts: 3,260
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by boxhead</i>

Is it just me, or is this really the best we can come up with?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/olympics_2012/6718243.stm
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

'We' didn't come up with it. Some people with their snouts in the Olympic trough did. The vast majority of people in this country wouldn't care if the Olympic Games were never held again.
  • The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    that's about as crap as the decision to change the post office to 'consignia' in 2002, and the tory's "drawn by a 3 year old child" tree logo.
    What I want to know is how many millions of pounds of taxpayers money have been spent paying a set of pillow-biting blue-sky brainstormers to come up with that?

And another thing, does it not look a bit rude? I may just be looking at it from a certain angle, but it looks a bit like a side view of a person with a very large head kneeling down and obtaining a certain service from another person standing facing them.
  • Claude
    Claude Posts: 624
    And it cost œ400,000 !!!!!!!
  • CometGirl
    CometGirl Posts: 2,681
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

And another thing, does it not look a bit rude? I may just be looking at it from a certain angle, but it looks a bit like a side view of a person with a very large head kneeling down and obtaining a certain service from another person standing facing them.

I understand it's meant to represent Lisa Simpson providing oral relief to Bart.

(I wish I could claim that as original, but it's not.)
  • speshcp
    speshcp Posts: 3,746
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CometGirl</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

I understand it's meant to represent Lisa Simpson providing oral relief to Bart.

(I wish I could claim that as original, but it's not.)
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Perhaps it's an allegory for the relationship between London/South East tax-payers and those whose idea it was to host the Olympics in London? [}:)][;)]

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
    </font id="size1">
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
  • Words fail me.
    However if I were to sit and think for a minute ....

As Phil says "$hit" just about sums it up!

I'm not getting old...I'm just getting more stupid...
    I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
    Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
    Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • speshcp
    speshcp Posts: 3,746
    Quite a few people have submited their own suggestions for a logo:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/6719747.stm

All of them a vast improvement on the official one...

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
    </font id="size1">
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
  • Pringlecp
    Pringlecp Posts: 771
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by spesh</i>

</font id="size1">

my vote goes to no 11![;)]

Another year older, another Budweiser
    Another year older, another Budweiser
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by spesh</i>

</font id="size1">

Sadly, all of which are better than the official one, and many of which are brillant!

Someone on PM on R4 just pointed out that the '2's in the logo look a bit like the 'S's in the German SS logo...

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
    If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • stelvio
    stelvio Posts: 1,422
    logo seems ideal; a cack logo for a cack idea.
  • linfordlunchbox
    linfordlunchbox Posts: 4,834
    Its a pile 'o' shyte !

"I\'d clean my car with a baby elephant - if I had a baby elephant !"
  • Tom753
    Tom753 Posts: 737
    Actually it's quite clever, they know most people couldn't give a toss about the Olympics so they've had to come up with a crap logo to get people's attention, get on the news etc.

<font color="black"><div align="right"><i><font size="1"><font face="Comic Sans MS"> My fixed bike </font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size1"></i></div id="right"></font id="black">
  • Pizzaman
    Pizzaman Posts: 703
    Bang on, Tom. Coming up with a normal logo would be a bit like putting sane people in Big Brother. There would be no publicity.
    Dave
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    I think you could be right, I can't see why anyone would do anything that cr@p unless they were fishing for publicity. It's already been voted 'wooden spoon' by 85% of respondents on the BBC site.

---

If I had a baby elephant, I'd fit right in here.
  • People hardly ever like new logos. The ones we do like have mostly been around for years and we associate them with certain values, products etc... I think it's a tough call coming up with something with is intended to be so emblematic from scratch.

That said, I don't terribly like it and it doesn't really convey anything of London. But I don't think it will in anyway detract from the games. The important thing is that the organisers make a good job of the games themselves.

BTW Did anyone see the Goatse style offering that was removed from the BBC website? I thought it was very funny, but the BBC removed it. If you didn't get to see it, look here (slightly NSFW): http://www.bonq.org/pics/goatse_2012.html

tea is good
  • philip99a
    philip99a Posts: 2,272
    I guess that it is designed to appeal to UK young people ie street art / graffiti style for "de yoot". I loathe graffiti and think they degrade and debase our cities - many people disagree. And I guess Lord Coe is surprisingly a graffiti-lover.

I can see that something tasteful in Gill Sans will have no impact. I can't imagine that the BBC-voting classes (especially people over 40) are going to like it. Anyone under 20 here? Or anyone going to try it out on their children - without prejudice?

How it cost œ400K I cannot imagine. Snouts in troughs seems right - which bodes very ill indeed for 2012.

btw I love the Olympics. I find them thrilling and I'm delighted they're coming to London. So there.

Would have liked them to have been spread around the country more but apparently the Olympic bosses won't hear of that.

Campag Super Nova; faster than a cannon ball
    Cycling - the most fun you can have sitting down.
  • Simon L2
    Simon L2 Posts: 2,908
    I think it's dreadful, but what's striking is that some of the alternatives are really elegant. Time to flush that œ400k down the pan.
  • andyoxon
    andyoxon Posts: 2,205
    Awful - I didn't even see it was a '2012' at first...logo by committee?

Sorry Seb - that won't do at all...

Andy

--- Beware of 'all things being equal' - because very often they are not. ---
    --- Beware of \'all things being equal\' - because very often they are not. ---
  • Keith Oates
    Keith Oates Posts: 22,036
    Yuk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy
  • rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    Christ, that's awful.
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    What an embaressment.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • Melvil
    Melvil Posts: 2,219
    I can easily understand why it cost so much. I still don't like it, though.

******************************************************************************
    See Baby Elephants and more at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/47331519@N00/
  • rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    It's just been pointed out to me that the logo for the 2012 games most resembles Lisa Simpson giving a blow-job.

http://www.london2012.com/
  • K Blackwell
    K Blackwell Posts: 1,539
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CometGirl</i>

And another thing, does it not look a bit rude? I may just be looking at it from a certain angle, but it looks a bit like a side view of a person with a very large head kneeling down and obtaining a certain service from another person standing facing them.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I understand it's meant to represent Lisa Simpson providing oral relief to Bart.(I wish I could claim that as original, but it's not.)
    For an updated pic to back this up you should have a look at Veloriders latest posting on the subject. Absolutely hilarious.
  • K Blackwell
    K Blackwell Posts: 1,539
    The thought police on Veloriders took it off[:(!]
  • andyoxon
    andyoxon Posts: 2,205
    Seb, if you're reading this...I'll do you a new logo for a mere œ10K...

Andy

--- Beware of 'all things being equal' - because very often they are not. ---
    --- Beware of \'all things being equal\' - because very often they are not. ---