Gear Problem

squeegee
squeegee Posts: 7
edited June 2007 in Workshop
My trusty Dawes Giro 300 has carried me to and from work for the last three years, I recently treated it [and me!]to a new transmission, front and rear. A problem has arisen in that when when I am on the big front chainring and the 2nd and 3rd largest sprocket it automatically changes down when I go half a turn at the traffic lights etc to pick up the pedal, it never did this before. There is no problem going forwards. I know that big chainring to big sprocket isn't the done thing and the Giro hasn't the greatset chainline in the world, but it is a pain to go back to the small ring at every traffic light in a predominantly flat area. Any body any thoughts please?
rsmart

Comments

• DLB
    DLB Posts: 631
    I think i rememeber somebody asking the same question a short while ago and the suggestions given were that the rear mech may be out of line. Not sure how you can adjust it though. If that doesn't help i'm sure somebody will come along soon with a better answer...

*** Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right ***
    *** Whether you think you can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right ***
  • nun
    nun Posts: 434
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by squeegee</i>

My trusty Dawes Giro 300 has carried me to and from work for the last three years, I recently treated it [and me!]to a new transmission, front and rear. A problem has arisen in that when when I am on the big front chainring and the 2nd and 3rd largest sprocket it automatically changes down when I go half a turn at the traffic lights etc to pick up the pedal, it never did this before. There is no problem going forwards. I know that big chainring to big sprocket isn't the done thing and the Giro hasn't the greatset chainline in the world, but it is a pain to go back to the small ring at every traffic light in a predominantly flat area. Any body any thoughts please?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Skippinbg a cog is often caused by gear cable friction under the bottom bracket.Put a dab of lube there and see if that helps.
  • squeegee
    squeegee Posts: 7
    Thanks for the suggestions, it sounds as if the mole grips may be the answer!!
    rsmart
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    Your LBS will have the right tool for checking your rear mech hanger alignment - for the sake of 5 minutes and a tenner it's worth getting it checked rather than mangling your frame with a pair of molies...