sore toes

hevipedal
hevipedal Posts: 2,475
edited June 2007 in Workshop
I did the So you think Essex is flat sportif on Sunday, 105 miles. Yet again on a long ride I got the sore toes. I get to about 80-90 miles and the toes in my left foot start to hurt - badly. It feels like someone is cutting them off.
It's not cramp, there's plenty of room to wriggle my toes. I wear Specialized BG shoes and use crank brothers quattro pedals.
This happens on every ride where I get to the 80-90 mile distance but otherwise is no bother. As soon as I get off the bike the pain goes.
Any ideas? evn complete off the wall theories will be considered because the only other option is to get my toes amputated and my wife already thinks my obsession has gone to far............

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
Things to make it look good.
I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
</font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
Hevipedal
It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621

Comments

• not enough fruit in your diet?

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • hevipedal
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Steve Austin</i>

not enough fruit in your diet?

Mleh Mleh Mleh
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

This did at least make me smile but doesn't help my toes, any chiropaedists (?) out there?

Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.

Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Could it be your feet/ankles swelling as you ride and causing a circulation problem? Maybe try loosening off your shoes a little after the 50 mile mark?
  • Change your shoes. I had the same problem with Specialized BG shoes.
    Treated my self to some top of the range Diadora's and never had a problem since.
  • i don't think its 'specific' to BG shoes, it could be down to the size of your shoes.
    i had a similar problem with some shoes of mine, made me feet go numb.
    i went up a size or two and they are fine now

try riding with them done up very loose, or swap the insoles for something thinner to see if its down to size

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • hevipedal
    Thing is my feet don't go numb. My toes have plenty of room. I'm going to try the idea of slackening them off after 50 miles and see if that helps.

Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Interestingly my new bike (first road bike) has Quattro pedals, and I have Specialized BG Comp Road shoes. Furthest I've ridden on it so far is 25 miles (still getting used to the drop handle bar riding position), but will be interesting to see if I get the same problem when I do longer distances.
  • ut_o_cykla
    ut_o_cykla Posts: 58
    Circulation or pressure most likely - either way try loosening after a while and maybe a different insole? Check cleat plate isn't pressing onto foot - even a tiny little bit of a millimetre 'lump' could cause trouble after a while. Maybe check cleat position too - perhaps if its too far forward it will cause discomfort - compare with other shoe/s.

I suggest amputation might not solve problem - ghost pains can be a pain (sic!)

pousse moi s'il vous plait
    pousse moi s\'il vous plait
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hevipedal</i>

This happens on every ride where I get to the 80-90 mile distance but otherwise is no bother. As soon as I get off the bike the pain goes.
    Any ideas? evn complete off the wall theories will be considered because the only other option is to get my toes amputated and my wife already thinks my obsession has gone to far...........
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Does it happen only when it's hot, i.e. like yesterday, or do you get this when it's colder too?
  • hevipedal
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andyp</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hevipedal</i>

Any ideas? evn complete off the wall theories will be considered because the only other option is to get my toes amputated and my wife already thinks my obsession has gone to far...........
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Does it happen only when it's hot, i.e. like yesterday, or do you get this when it's colder too?
    Thinking about it, it's only happened when it's been hot.........
    having said that I have only really done long rides when the weather's good. I've done some longish rides in not so good weather but nothing up to 100 miles - I do this for pleasure not some perverse form of masochism.

Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hevipedal</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Does it happen only when it's hot, i.e. like yesterday, or do you get this when it's colder too?
    having said that I have only really done long rides when the weather's good. I've done some longish rides in not so good weather but nothing up to 100 miles - I do this for pleasure not some perverse form of masochism.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">It's likely to be what I've always known as 'hot foot' then. I suffered from it last year whilst doing an event in Italy. It hasn't re-occured (yet) but if you search on the 'net you'll find articles like this one which offer some advice.
  • hevipedal
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andyp</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hevipedal</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Does it happen only when it's hot, i.e. like yesterday, or do you get this when it's colder too?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">It's likely to be what I've always known as 'hot foot' then. I suffered from it last year whilst doing an event in Italy. It hasn't re-occured (yet) but if you search on the 'net you'll find articles like this one which offer some advice.

Good info thanks. I was wearing thin socks and the shoes are BG but I'll have a go at the toe bit.
    I don't think it's the pedals as my quattro's have a decent base and the cleats are already as far back as possible.

Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal