It`s not about the bike.....or is it?!

PETE Tcp
PETE Tcp Posts: 498
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
Cycling home Thursday evening on my old MTB/Hybrid when a roadie comes past me no conversation or anything.
Cycling home Friday evening (exactly the same spot,Shooters Hill) only I was on my road bike,the same roadie comes past me and starts chatting![:0]
This time I was able to keep up with him up the hill and over took him going down the otherside![:D]

PETE T
PETE

Comments

• pzycoman
    pzycoman Posts: 285
    Yeah it is about the bike - iv noticed that by shifting towards a more TT bike over time (started off with aero bars, today iv added 4 spoke carbon wheelies) the more towards TT I go, the more ignored I become at Richmond park and other places...I find that funny [:)] I was invisible today, was quite liberating [:D] [;)]
    Professional Kitten Huffer
  • xio
    xio Posts: 212
    It's a trick in the commuter racing category that's all. If he's way faster than you or you than him, there's no need to talk. If it's closer or he's sussing out how fast you are, then it's an old ploy to (a) save embarrassment if you beat him and (b) to slow you down.

Do a search on commuter racing
    ;-)
  • 515mm
    515mm Posts: 72
    I have lots more smiles and "good mornings" from the dog walkers and joggers I meet or pass during my morning commute than from the road bike riders I see.

I usually pass(yes, pass!) or meet 3 roadies - none of them nod, smile, wave, wink or even grunt a greeting. One guy I see every day - maybe he knows who I am!

On the other hand, the dog walkers on the bike path are ace - really friendly, as are the two 'ladies of a certain age' joggers. Blokes on MTBs - all apart from one really miserable looking old guy say 'hi' or 'allright boy?'(which is a very popular greeting around here)

The young, fashionably dressed joggers are the worst though. The ones that never seem to sweat. You know the type. Gyms across the country are full of them. They won't even look in a cyclist's direction.

To commute, I ride an elderly, slick-shod cannondale MTB

I wonder what will happen next week when my new road bike arrives............

The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his tax return. It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale.....
    Si homini ignem das, unem diem ardebit; si hominem incendis, reliquem vitam ardebit.
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    this conversation crops up regularly on this forum. as a dedicated road bike user i don't normally bother to post a reply.

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2xkbbs
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv
  • The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    I think a lot of roadies have a bit of an inferiority complex, because it's impossible to 'beat' an MTB on a road bike. If a roadie overtakes an MTB, then the MTB rider's got an excuse - well it's obviously because the road bike's a faster bike due to its lighter weight / faster rolling tyres / lack of suspension-induced bob.
    But if an MTB overtakes a roadie, then it can only be because he's a faster / better rider. For this reason some roadies are inevitably a little bit up tight.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Yeah you can tell that by the way they are always posting negative stuff about MTBers on here.

Warning about well known bike shop removed at request of moderators.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Use the "poser pass" - simple answer!

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Hackbike 6
    Hackbike 6 Posts: 3,116
    What is all that lycra and cycling jersey's all about with those funny shoes which makes it look easier to walk in roller skates lark about?

That's it.I weighed my mate's bike at work and no wonder he can climb up Mount Everest on it as he hasn't got a ton of krap on his bike like lights and mudguards as well as hub dynamo's.[B)]

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"><font color="red"><font size="1"> (30 years ago)</font id="size1"></font id="red"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 2 of 8 </font id="size1"></font id="red"><font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/2jfagu</font id="size1">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 3 of 8</font id="red"></font id="size1"><font size="1"> http://tinyurl.com/2jcldv </font id="size1">
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    Was cycling back on my road bike on friday and went to pass 2 kids on their MTBs thanking them for leaving me space when one of them said "RACE!" and not one to back down from a challenge I said "Ok!". I was a bit worried about us meeting a dog walker down the tight cycle path but when I realised he was keeping pace I thought I better step on it and left him in the dust! I thought that was a great ice breaker. I normally say "Hi" when overtaking but next time it's gonna be "RACE!" and see if they respond.

What constitutes a poser pass Cunobelin?
  • Hackbike 6
    Hackbike 6 Posts: 3,116
    Im going to wait till it's an old granny before I shout RACE.Knowing my luck i'd bump into BENTMIKEY.[B)]

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"><font color="red"><font size="1"> (30 years ago)</font id="size1"></font id="red"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 2 of 8 </font id="size1"></font id="red"><font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/2jfagu</font id="size1">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 3 of 8</font id="red"></font id="size1"><font size="1"> http://tinyurl.com/2jcldv </font id="size1">
  • pzycoman
    Tbh id consider myself a serious roadie (Got a very nice expensive road bike, I wear lycra [;)] etc etc etc) - I dont particularly care if a MTB overtakes me, its usually because iv just started my run and need to warm up, Im doing a stupidly long distance and just want to pace myeslf, im having fun (Pootling along in the sun, with my music playing, whats better than that? :)) or im at the end of a long run...
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    I don't care who overtakes me, roadie or MTBer, that little evil part of my mind still objects and wants to chase - even this morning with yesterdays sportif in my legs. And I set out full of good intentions of just a recovery ride - I managed mostly and had an average heart rate of just 113 over the 18 miles.
    But I still had the devil telling me to race................

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    What is all this nonsense about MTBs overtaking roadies. Has anybody actually had this happen to them or is it just a rumour started by MTBers?

SNAPS
  • jpembrokecp
    jpembrokecp Posts: 1,968
    I don't think this is about MTBers overtaking roadies; it's the old chestnut of roadies not saying hello to MTBers. Read Pete T's post again.

well, yes <i>and</i> no......but mainly no.

• pzycoman
    Eat my dust - I was overtaken by quite a few MTBs on Saturday at Richmond park! I was even overtaken by a few little kids! Admittedly, i was laying on the grass to one side, with my headphones in, sunbathing...
  • The Bosscp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eat My Dust</i>

What is all this nonsense about MTBs overtaking roadies. Has anybody actually had this happen to them or is it just a rumour started by MTBers?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    YOU might not ever have been overtaken by an MTB (or perhaps have but aren't admitting to it), but, in my theory anyway, roadies are scared of it happening, hence reason they're often unfriendly, just because the worry of it happening makes them a bit up tight.
  • The Bosscp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jpembroke</i>

I don't think this is about MTBers overtaking roadies; it's the old chestnut of roadies not saying hello to MTBers. Read Pete T's post again.
    The two are linked. Read my post again.
  • <i>What is all this nonsense about MTBs overtaking roadies. Has anybody actually had this happen to them or is it just a rumour started by MTBers?</i>

Regularly overtake road bikes on my full suss mtb. Granted the rear is locked out but I do run off road tyres none of this slick rubbish ;-).

Always great for a race. I find my mtb seems to cop with potholes alot better than a road bike

Be bright Be seen
  • Eat My Dust
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eat My Dust</i>

YOU might not ever have been overtaken by an MTB (or perhaps have but aren't admitting to it), but, in my theory anyway, roadies are scared of it happening, hence reason they're often unfriendly, just because the worry of it happening makes them a bit up tight.

lol, the only time a MTB has passed me is when they're jumping lights or if it's <i>very</i> heavy traffic, never actually on the open road. Although I did have to pass a MTBer twice last week as the police had closed off the road I use on my commute. I imagine the guy on the MTB was a tad confused!!

SNAPS
  • I find that when I'm driving my Ferrari I very rarely get acknowledged by Skoda drivers , why is that ?

http://www.eastyorkshireclassic.co.uk/n ... index.aspx
  • Eat My Dust
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Squaggles</i>

I find that when I'm driving my Ferrari I very rarely get acknowledged by Skoda drivers , why is that ?

http://www.eastyorkshireclassic.co.uk/n ... index.aspx

Maybe you're scared they'll overtake you?[;)]

SNAPS
  • peejay78
    got to love these urban myths - the full sus MTB flying along taking all comers.

• BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Every now and then you do encounter a seriously fast MTBer.

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    In the winter I often ride my full-susser into work and I always overtake people on road bikes... it clearly annoys some of them, but there ain't a lot they can do about it on the whole. Most people don't care at all; they know we're all just doing our own thing.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • peejay78
    "i always overtake people on road bikes"

this sort of supposition and posturing annoys me. there's no always about it.

i don't always overtake people on MTBs. nearly always though.

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i> By Gazzaput</i>

<i>What is all this nonsense about MTBs overtaking roadies. Has anybody actually had this happen to them or is it just a rumour started by MTBers?</i>

Regularly overtake road bikes on my full suss mtb. Granted the rear is locked out but I do run off road tyres none of this slick rubbish ;-).

Always great for a race. I find my mtb seems to cop with potholes alot better than a road bike

Sometimes a rodie isn't up for a race, but that is about as common a blue moon. You don't have the gearing or the tyres to beat a roadie who knows what he/she is doing.

I will certainly give you that down a bad residential road an MTB with knobblies will have the edge, also on roads that require one to chuck the bike around. But an MTB won't stay in front for very long once things open out a little.

• jel
    jel Posts: 758
    In vinum veritas.

I never let anyone overtake me unless they can leave me a sweaty, shaking, bonked out mass. It's only happened a couple of times and I have no excuse: I was just plain beaten. I don't care if they're not racing, I am and I want to win, goddamn it. I realise if I was to try racing for real I would be kack but this is different: it's my piece of stolen fun that noone else knows about. This goes triple for mountain bikes: I will not be beaten and I want to get as many points for style and panache while I'm at it.

It more than likely means I have some vast personality flaws. I can live with that.
  • peejay78
    that's funny, jel.

i don't race when commuting, i forgot that. often there's no need anyway, but if some deranged MTBer fancies themselves as a knobbly danilo de luca, then i let them go. i find a Saturday club run a more adequate and fulfilling challenge.

• DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    Its not about the bike, Im a grumpy unfriendly git no matter what you ride :D, I am looking forward to geting myself a road bike :D. I do enjoy meeting other cyclists on the commute, it shortens my journey time no end. Im on a hybrid, generally find myself faster than all but 2 MTB'ers that I meet, and faster than a couple fo the roadies and only a bit slower than most of the roadies, I like to tell myself that when I finally get my road bike I will be flying past them :D.

I wish I could take the high ground and say im above racing on the commute, but heck its a fun.

The ones that get to me are the ones who beat me because they use the pavement as an optional cycling lane to bypass traffic queues... Seeing that a lot at the moment. It is nice to catch up with them again afterwards :D.
  • jpembrokecp
    jpembrokecp Posts: 1,968
    I used to get ignored or attract scornful looks from club cyclists when out on my flat barred Kaffenback but when I put drops on it they all started saying hello. Very odd.