Brooks (again)

peterbr
peterbr Posts: 2,076
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Hi, I'm thinking of getting one of these. Previously I found my Fizik aliante very comfortable. I ride with the bars about 2" lower than the saddle. Would I be better off with the B17 standard or the narrow model considering my previous preference? Is the standard model too wide for a typical fast-touring/semi-aero prosition I ride in?

<hr noshade size="1">
Elephants - where were they when we were fighting the nazis? Eh? Eh?
<hr noshade size="1">
"Europe\'s nations should be guided towards a superstate without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation"
Jean Monnet, founding father of the EU.

Comments

• Well the widths of the Brooks to compare with what you are familiar with are as follows:

B17 Standard
    Dimensions: 280mm (L) x 170mm (W)

B17 Narrow
    Dimensions: 280mm (L) x 155mm (W)

Many do ride the Standard width on long distance Audax bikes with a position set up with lower bars/stem, even if they have previously only used a narrower saddle. B17 differences are of course only 15mm, I do not know the width of the Fizik aliante as a few seem to be listed when I keyed into 'google' "Fizik aliante width", some seem to be quite wide so worth measuring to see exactly what you have got to compare.

Paul_Smith
    www.bikeplus.co.uk

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by peterbr</i>

Hi, I'm thinking of getting one of these. Previously I found my Fizik aliante very comfortable. I ride with the bars about 2" lower than the saddle. Would I be better off with the B17 standard or the narrow model considering my previous preference? Is the standard model too wide for a typical fast-touring/semi-aero prosition I ride in?

<hr noshade size="1">
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Surrey Road CC, articles of my tours; Lejog, North Sea to the Alps, English Channel to the Med', 'End to End' Ireland,London to Paris,Corsica
  • peterbr
    Well, the Fizik is 138mm, so I guess the narrow would be better, the standard being quite a large jump in size. Thanks Paul.

<hr noshade size="1">
    <hr noshade size="1">
    "Europe\'s nations should be guided towards a superstate without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation"
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I don't understand why you would want a Brooks is the Aliante was comfortable enough?

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • peterbr
    I broke it and it's a bit on the expensive side - and I have 5 bikes!

<hr noshade size="1">
    <hr noshade size="1">
  • I wanted a Brooks but girlfriend says I have to have a Fizik 'cos that's what I recommended for her new Ribble. I must admit the Fizik looks better.