Campagnolo wheel freehub change

RickP
RickP Posts: 16
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Possibly a stupid question but I have Shimano 10spd on my bike and I'm interested in some Campagnolo Neutron Ultra wheels. According to the Campag website there isn't a Shimano option for this wheel.

Whilst surfing around for prices (as you do) I found that www.cyclesuperstore.ie are doing them at a reasonable, make that very good, price but, more to the point, they do them for both Campagnolo and Shimano. I emailed them to ask them if this was a mistake or not and they informed me that they can easily change any Campagnolo wheel's freehub from Campag to Shimano.

So, what I'd really like to know is whether this is a normal, reliable, recommended, sane and so on thing to do or whether I should simply resign myself to wheels that come from a factory set up for Shimano?

Comments

• monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    Camapagnolo IME have one of the longest and best reputations for factory-build wheels - only Mavic come close. Ironically, Shimano don't actually make their own wheels which is probably reflected in their generally mediocre products. There's no reason to suspect that a Shimano freehub on a Campag wheel would be inferior - you still benefit from a 3-year warranty and generally good spares availability. The design of the Neutron and previously Nucleon wheel goes back about 7 years, so you can depend on a proven and reliable product which has been good enough for a number of pro wins over the years. In comparison, relatively few pro teams use Shimano wheels.
  • RickP
    Thanks - from what I've read I share your opinion of Campagnolo wheels although I've not yet tried them.

I was really wondering whether the swapping of freehubs is a normal thing to do and isn't a bodge that allows the bike shop to shift the wheels even though they perhaps shouldn't change the freehub?
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RickP</i>

Thanks - from what I've read I share your opinion of Campagnolo wheels although I've not yet tried them.

I was really wondering whether the swapping of freehubs is a normal thing to do and isn't a bodge that allows the bike shop to shift the wheels even though they perhaps shouldn't change the freehub?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Neutrons and Ultra Neutrons don't come with the option of Shimano style splines as standard but I don't know why as the hub shares the same axle and Campag freehub body of the hubs that do ie Eurus,Zonda,Shamal, Hyperons and Boras.

I'd rather walk than use Shimano.

The older I get, the better my power to weight ratio was.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • Ring a Campag Pro Shop order a pair and they can convert.

Do it often. ALL Campag wheels can be supplied for Fishing Gear users
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • RickP
    Thanks for the replies. I'll do some further investigation.

I'd imagine the decision as to which style freehub they supply is down to the marketing department - at which point any obvious logical thought becomes difficult to spot. Could be because they don't want obvious competition with their Fulcrum wheels...

I find the Shimano v Campagnolo debate quite puzzling. I use Shimano as I prefer the way it shifts - the Campagnolo thumb method just doesn't suit me. I guess it's easy to become "hooked" on Shimano if it's the first setup you used for any appreciable period of time. Anyway, I won't stir things up though - been done more than enough elsewhere I imagine. I'm sure they are both good systems but I know b*gger all about Campagnolo really.
  • jpembrokecp
    jpembrokecp Posts: 1,968
    Fulcrum wheels are Campagnolo in all but name. Get some of those instead.

well, yes <i>and</i> no......but mainly no.

well, yes <i>and</i> no......but mainly no.