City of London Police Cycle Unit Action

Brains48
Brains48 Posts: 26
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
This has just been emailed to the cycling group where I work....

Wed 30/05/2007 17:10

CYCLISTS - WE ARE ON THE CASE!

The City of London Police Cycle Unit, together with Wards officers and Roads Policing Unit are working together to target cyclists committing road traffic offences, which we know is one of the key residential complaints in the City. During a week of action they will target the eight 'hotspot' junctions in the City with the aim of reporting cyclists for the whole range of traffic offences identified. The BBC will also be in attendance to film the operation.

Please contact Ron Parker in the Crime and Disorder Partnership if you have any queries on 020 7456 9813.

Comments

• Brains
    Brains Posts: 1,732
    aaaahhhh. So now we know who has been putting up those " Every time a cyclist jumps a red light, God kills a kitten" signs all over the City in the last week or so.

The Original Brains, not the 48th Copy
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Nothing wrong with this, except that they should be targetting all RLJers, because it's the cars and busses that do it that give rise to the most fear and danger. Get them all, not just the least dangerous.

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    i heard this also, they are apparently going "under cover" as cyclists.

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

• palinurus
    palinurus Posts: 836
    How does one spot an undercover cyclist?
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    flat feet [:D]

• xio
    xio Posts: 212
    Well there's been a bunch outside Moorgate for most of the week getting people who ride across the huge pavement dodging the pedestrians. It's bad enough that the idiots do it, but frankly the fact that they can't see a policeman with a dayglo jacket on before they get on the pavement is probably more worrying.
  • Hackbike 6
    Hackbike 6 Posts: 3,116
    I've noticed recently that more cars are blatantly going through red lights.

I wonder where the feck they got this from.[:(!]

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"><font color="red"><font size="1"> (30 years ago)</font id="size1"></font id="red"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 2 of 8 </font id="size1"></font id="red"><font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/2jfagu</font id="size1">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 3 of 8</font id="red"></font id="size1"><font size="1"> http://tinyurl.com/2jcldv </font id="size1">
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Not like RLJ'ers give the rest of us a bad image is it...
    They deserve what they get.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1

Fab's TCR1
  • abm
    abm Posts: 74
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">is one of the key residential complaints in the City<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Isn't this an oxymoron? What have they had? 5 complaints?

There's always the Barbican I suppose...
  • Kanga
    Kanga Posts: 131
    Thought they *might* be doing something half useful, like target bike thieves ...
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kanga</i>

Thought they *might* be doing something half useful, like target bike thieves ...
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Thing is, bike thieves only affect cyclists, RLJ'ers, "Lycra-Louts" Pavement riders etc P155-off far more people than bicycle thieves and give the more law-abiding of us a bad name and increasingly in danger. In Oxford last night as I stop at the lights several bikes whizz by in the gap with absolutely no intention of even slowing down. Have already been hit from behind by a cyclist who doesn't think that the rules of the road apply. Stopping at the lights is now actually becoming hazardous.
    I'm happy to see RLJ'ing cyclists nicked.
    If we can't get our own house in order we are hardly in any position to complain about other road users are we?

Fab's TCR1

Fab's TCR1
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    The law should apply to all road users equally, cyclist shouldn't be a special case!

The presence of the BBC probably means that some will see this as their great opportunity to get on TV.[;)]

A hirsute Scotsman.

Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.
  • Cadfael
    Cadfael Posts: 149
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Palinurus</i>

How does one spot an undercover cyclist?

They will be riding black and white Claud Butler Hardtails... with duel disc brakes... their helmets will match the bike.

[:D]
  • frogcp
    frogcp Posts: 1,194
    I'd be tempted to behave myself for the week. That way there be loads of plods standing around the junctions with nothing to do all week except nick the cars who were breaking the law.

Vultures circling high in a clear blue sky - must be a traffic jam near by.

Vultures circling high in a clear blue sky - must be a traffic jam near by.
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Brains48</i>

This has just been emailed to the cycling group where I work....

Wed 30/05/2007 17:10

CYCLISTS - WE ARE ON THE CASE!

The City of London Police Cycle Unit, together with Wards officers and Roads Policing Unit are working together to target cyclists committing road traffic offences, which we know is one of the key <u>residential complaints </u>in the City. During a week of action they will target the eight 'hotspot' junctions in the City with the aim of reporting cyclists for the whole range of traffic offences identified. The BBC will also be in attendance to film the operation.

Please contact Ron Parker in the Crime and Disorder Partnership if you have any queries on 020 7456 9813.

because of course there's a lot of residents in the city!!!!!!!!!!!

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621