A car went for me too!!!!

Buggi
Buggi Posts: 674
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
Me too!!!! what's going on? i would put this on the other thread but i want to know if you think i should take further action and my question might get lost in the other thread.

i came off a cycle path near an island into STATIONARY traffic in front of an Aston Martin, who had left quite a bit of room between him and the car in front. anyway, i used the gap (traffic wasn't moving and my maneouvre wasn't in anyway dangerous and i'd indicated and all that) and took primary position in the nearside lane and waited, left foot clipped out. traffic was heavy but after about 20 seconds, even tho the cars in front had not moved, i notice the Aston Martin's bonnet coming in on my left. obviously i had p'd him off taking the gap he left. there was only about 3 foot between me and the kerb. i clipped my other foot out, and half turned my body, held up my hands and shouted "what the Fcuk do you think you're doing" and the guy stuck his two fingers up and went for me. it was a good job i had clipped my right foot out because i had about a split second to get out of the way. if i had not clipped out to turn around he would have had me off

anyway, i got his number plate and reported him to the police. they said they were gonna go and get him until i mentioned that i [stupidly] thumped his side window, then they backed down and said that now he has something to complain about me and they said it was his word against mine, no witness, won't get to court, and because i had thumped the window they couldn't really say anything to him so may as well close the file but keep it on record.

at first i reluctantly agreed but now i think i should go back and say this is not good enough and i want them to speak to him, because (a) i only thumped the window because he was trying to mow me down, and it was a reaction to what he did, (b) what if this nutter decides to have another go and they end up scraping me out the road and most importantly (c) this man drove at me intentionally and that is a crime, it's not a case of someone just not taking care, he did it maliciously and deliberately which is a lot worse than me thumping his side window.

do you think i should go back because even if they can't arrest him, he should know he has got reported and that they can keep the incident on file. right now he thinks he's got away with it scot free.

i should also say i think he tried to cut me up earlier down the road, because a car was turning right and caused a queue, and when he over took me and joined the queue he pulled so far into the kerb that his tyres were touching it (and he was out of line with the queue by about 2 feet) and his wheels scraped when he pulled away. so he must have done it deliberate because you just wouldn't treat your expensive wheels like that would you??

o yea, if anyone sees him in the Warwick area... Aston Martin, driver is approx 60 yrs old with a grey beard, reg V8 0 BOY (says it all really doesn't it!). feel free to put your pedal in the side of it.

so anyway, do you think i should tell the police they need to re-open the file and have a word because i'm not happy with the way they've dealt with it or do you think i'm wasting my time. i'm still seething about it.

ps this is the first time a REALLY wished i had a helmet cam because i think the footage would be shocking.

To infinity... and beyond!
my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

Comments

• ooh, warwick area - i'll keep an eye out,

if he goes for me i'm jumping on his bonnet and claiming i got knocked off,

about œ3000 for a new bonnet i'd guess
  • Buggi
    yea, i am more annoyed at myself for not kicking his f'ing door! or just putting my pedal against the car as he went past.

• Buggi
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Random Vince</i>

ooh, warwick area - i'll keep an eye out,

if he goes for me i'm jumping on his bonnet and claiming i got knocked off,

about œ3000 for a new bonnet i'd guess
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

if you do this, tell me and i will be your independent witness!

• Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    You didn't "Thump his window"!

You simply "fended yourself off" off the vehicle!

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    You should have:

Smiled. Pointed to bag. Opened bag and taken out keys. Pointed at keys still smilling. Pointed at bonnet then at keys, and then scratcheda big coc* on said bonnet, then waved still smilling and filtered through the trafic. Job done!!

SNAPS
  • Buggi
    hee hee i'll remember that! this is cheering me up so much. i might do it on Tuesday, i'm bound to see him again and the traffic is always stacked up there!

• now now, deliberately causing dammage is wrong, even in retrebution,

however if he knocks you off, falling onto the car is better for your health than onto the floor.
  • Flycatcher
    Flycatcher Posts: 185
    The police should act anyway if his registration is spaced that way as it's illegal not to mention pathetic. Sounds a knob.

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") If I could do a baby elephant I'd use that instead.
  • Buggi
    it's all because they can't be arsed with the paperwork.

• 515mm
    515mm Posts: 72
    This guy sounds like he has a serious personality disorder. An attempt to deliberately harm a human being is not a natural act. The military takes months drilling soldiers to shoot paper targets shaped like men until it is a reflex action needing no moral judgement to shoot to kill. It has to be an automatic response, soldiers will not and cannot kill otherwise.

Only two percent of mankind is capable of killing another human without extensive military training. So-called Shepherds of Men encompass half of this two percent. These very special people can overcome the overwhelming compulsion to NOT kill. This enables them to kill to save the lives of their family and friends - typically these individuals become heavily decorated for bravery during wartime - and return to normal civilian life and rarely display violence ever again.

The other half are the psychotic. During wartime, they have no problem killing - on the contrary, they are thoroughly enjoying themselves.

If he really tried to hurt you, Mr Aston Martin may well fall into this second category. This would make him very dangerous indeed. He will not care if he harms anyone around him, he does not posses normal boundaries and he will be able to change from appearing to be a reasonable person into a fearless lunatic in seconds - if it suits him to do so. Do not approach this guy again.

I am informed by a client of mine who is a policeman that incidents cause an astonishing amount of paperwork - applications for checks for previous repremands/convictions, gathering evidence, witness statements in support of complaint and so on. Persistence is the key. You felt so strongly that this man attempted to injure you and your property, you - a reasonable person - contemplated (past tense deliberate) taking the law into your own hands - which you know to be wrong.

If you think that the time this will take is worth it, pursue it further. It's easy for us to cheer you on from the sidelines. Only you know if you have the will to see this through to a satisfactory conclusion.

Good Luck Buggi. My altercation on thursday was an example of irresponsible risk-taking on the part of the car driver. Yours sounds much more serious.
    Si homini ignem das, unem diem ardebit; si hominem incendis, reliquem vitam ardebit.
  • This kind of thing will continue to happen until commuting cyclists (a cycling underclass and not often possible to label them cyclists) realise that they are winding up car drivers by their antics. I'm not saying you did anything wrong - it's a perception thing.

I know a driver of a DB9 in London and he hates cyclists. Yes it is a middle-aged, almost Daily Mail-esque viewpoint, but it is fact. He has bought a new DB9 and to see some two wheeled day-glo tosser (in his mind) overtake him will rile him - albeit it shouldn't - but London traffic can wind up anyone..
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    It wouldn't matter if every cyclist in the world behaved impeccably, morons are morons and will act as such until they are made to realise that that their actions will have consequences that they don't like.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • 515mm
    markpbeaumont,

Don't sit on the fence lad, express what you really feel!

To post your comment on a cycle commuting forum requires a breathtaking amount of arrogance. We're not 'proper' cyclists because we use bikes to journey to work or school and not exclusively for pleasure? No wonder Londoners have their reputation for snobbery. You're letting the side down immeasurably, I must say.

What sort of machine do you ride? Something achingly fashionable no doubt......

The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his tax return. It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale.....
    Si homini ignem das, unem diem ardebit; si hominem incendis, reliquem vitam ardebit.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    MarkP, your mate is clearly a tosser of the first water. Even more so to want to run such a lovely car in London traffic, LOL!

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • Buggi
    Finally got chance to go back to the cop shop today and the Sargeant is going to go and have a "word" with the guy and give him some "friendly advice". agree, can't do much without witnesses, but you never know, as he's such a hot head he might blurt out an admission.

sometimes, it pays to be a woman... [:X] lean across the desk with your cleavage out and play the sweet young lady who's just "terrified" of cycling to work in case she encounter's Mr Nasty Aston Martin again, especially when you've got legs up to your neck, and you just know the sargeant is impressed with your [34 mile round trip to work and back] fitness level! [:p][:D]. men are SO easy to play!

said he would give me a call next week (they are a part time station) but he also mentioned the guy lived in Hatton. well, there's only one village in Hatton with houses that match a car like that, so i can only presume he was giving me a nudge in the right direction [;)]

• 515mm
    Oooh Buggi!

Using your feminine charms to influence a member[;)] of the local Constabulary?

Disgraceful![:0]

The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his tax return. It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale.....
  • Buggi
    well, that's why God gave me 36" inside legs. crap for climbing hills but great for influencing! so i think it would be very ungrateful of me if i didn't put them to good use.

• 36 inch inner legs?

just how tall are you? i'm 6ft and have 34 - 35 inch inside legs
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    *Imagination runs wild* *Drool*

[:D]
  • papercorn2000
    papercorn2000 Posts: 4,517
    I have posted some practical advice on the other thread!

I'm also having trouble typing as my imagination has finally kick-started itself!

God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
    God told me to skin you alive.
    http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
  • Buggi
    hee hee, no wonder the sargeant was such a pushover, i only have to type it and you lot have gone all drooly!

i'm 6ft Vince

• 515mm
    And you ride bikes.

• 515mm
    Wow.