Rice protein supplements

I've just seen Rice protein for sale on myprotein.co.uk, which features a graph purporting it to have very close makeup to mothers milk (at a fraction of the cost of whey protein), and hence be a superior supplement! Does anybody have any knowledge/experience of this? Looks interesting and cheap, but not having come across this website noe rice protein previously, I'm a bit wary of psuedo science!

I thought I saw your name on a loaf of bread this morning, but when I looked again it said thick cut

Jam butties, officially endorsed by the Diddymen Olympic Squad

Comments

• bump....just hoping someone in the know hasnt seen this post yet?!

• Wogan
    Wogan Posts: 203
    Pseudo science. Any protein/carbo mix will do for a post-ride recovery 'meal' - it's all broken down into amino acids and short peptides anyway and most of it will simply be oxidised. I use strawberry REGO because it tastes nice and I can drink it when stretching/sitting in the bath! It would be just as effective to scoff a banana and some chicken-based salad.

At all other times, a balanced diet will provide all the protein you need.

<font size="1">Kenny Everett bent my wand :(</font id="size1">
    <font>Hemingway Soapbags</font>
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Wogan</i>

Pseudo science. Any protein/carbo mix will do for a post-ride recovery 'meal' - it's all broken down into amino acids and short peptides anyway and most of it will simply be oxidised. I use strawberry REGO because it tastes nice and I can drink it when stretching/sitting in the bath! It would be just as effective to scoff a banana and some chicken-based salad.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Strawberry milkshake frankly will do the trick probably just as well.
    Chocolate milkshakes are recommended by many amateur sporting associations as a simple and effective recovery drink. Milk contains other important goodies too, is cheap and available.

I take mine in the tub as well whilst stretching. Helps stave-off the munchies too which stops you devouring anything too sugary.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1

Fab's TCR1
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fab Foodie</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Wogan</i>

Strawberry milkshake frankly will do the trick probably just as well.
    Chocolate milkshakes are recommended by many amateur sporting associations as a simple and effective recovery drink. Milk contains other important goodies too, is cheap and available.

I take mine in the tub as well whilst stretching. Helps stave-off the munchies too which stops you devouring anything too sugary.

Fab's TCR1

Phew, I was feeling guilty over my newly developed hankering after chocolate milkshakes at the end of a long ride.
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    Not sure about all the pseudo science - a whey/casein blend will be more slowly absorbed than a pure whey shake, for example, making it more suitable for overnight recovery drink...

..but I am perplexed as to why something with a composition similar to mothers' milk should be any good for adults!

<font size="1">
    <b>No longer looking for a pennyfarthing as I've got some powerbocks instead. Casualty here I come!</b>
    It is by will alone I set my ride in motion.</font id="size1">
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndyGates</i>

Not sure about all the pseudo science - a whey/casein blend will be more slowly absorbed than a pure whey shake, for example, making it more suitable for overnight recovery drink...

..but I am perplexed as to why something with a composition similar to mothers' milk should be any good for adults!

<font size="1">
    <b>No longer looking for a pennyfarthing as I've got some powerbocks instead. Casualty here I come!</b>

Ask Oedipus [:D]
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    Mmm, bitty!

<font size="1">
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • Mothers milk, as in HUMAN mothers milk, the suggestion being that its more suitable recovery/buildingblocks yadayada than moo milk as the profile of amino acids and enzymes yada...is closer to that produced by/for human consumption.

I'm using Holland & Barrett whey protein whey its on sale price, and I've started adding simple unflavoured maltodextrin (dirt cheap at H & B)and creatine (also dirt cheap at.....during sales) as a quick recovery drink. I'm using this as something I can use immediately after a ride or workout, and I can then think about a proper meal later.

I've started using the old whey powder as its supposed to be digested more quickly than a normal protein meal, and this fits in better with my working hours and my preference for regular smaller meals. I do actually recall reading in some book a recovery meal of simply milk and a couple of tablespoons of sugar just to get calories back into the body asap.

• Wogan
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bigflangesmallsprocket</i>

Mothers milk, as in HUMAN mothers milk, the suggestion being that its more suitable recovery/buildingblocks yadayada than moo milk as the profile of amino acids and enzymes yada...is closer to that produced by/for human consumption.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You can't absorb whole enzymes - they are denatured as soon as they hit your stomach acid. Every bit of protein you eat whether it is steak, milk or whey, is broken down into individual amino acids and short peptides. Doesn't really matter how you put protein in - it all ends up the same mush in your intestines.

The only real variable is absorption speed. If you need a fast hit, eat some powdered protein. If you need sustained absorption, chuck in some fat - that slows things right down.

PS creatine is pretty useless for endurance sports like cycling.

• How does soya milk compare to cows milk for protein per unit of measure? I will drink a glass when I get in almost straight after riding, and then munch on a couple of piece of ham and a lump of edam.

<font size="1">Time! Time! It's always too long and there's never enough!</font id="size1">
  • Wogan
    I think it's about the same in terms of total protein content. Certainly not enough of a difference to have any tangible effect.

• Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndyGates</i>

<font size="1">

Hi Andy, can't remember all the real science myself but...

Whey protein still needs to be broken down unless it is partially hydrolsed which makes it taste more bitter than a very bitter thing.

Milk is designed to be a very nutritious and complete food for growing bodies very quickly (look at the growth rates of animals when consuming milk), thus it contains the components we need for sustained energy, build/repair muscle-mass, grow bone, etc etc. There are a lot of other goodies in natural milk which are beneficial to human health, often more-so than you will get in soya-milk or a protein shake. OK, recovery products are very targeted and developed with a sole purpose and cost, milk is cheap, available and natural and works pretty darn well, well enough for us amateurs!

For interest, the company I worked for co-developed this product
    http://www.dsm.com/en_US/html/dfs/peptopro_home.htm

Fab's TCR1

Fab's TCR1
  • Problem is cows milk off the supermarket shelf is often stuffed full of oestregen, which isn't good for you, plus anything else we dont know about yet thats added to keep it fresher for longer. And, if like me you suffer from hypertriglyceridaemia and high cholesterol, then soya milk is a far healthier choice.

<font size="1">Time! Time! It's always too long and there's never enough!</font id="size1">
  • Thanks for the info on the enzymes etc Wogan. I know that creatine is said to be useless for endurance (well, recently some research has said it MIGHT be useful, but no certainties) , but I do some weights as well to try to keep my bodyweight up (despite higher bodyfat than as a yooof, I'm still very thin, and cycling makes me thinner!), which is a very hard thing to do for me! I've found in the past that creatine, though it doesnt make me actually feel fitter, better, stronger, faster as such, does help me in that I simply seem to get fewer niggles and strains when using it, and with my dodgy back and knees I'll take that.