Worst Wet Weather Tyres - GP4000

monty_dogcp
monty_dogcp Posts: 382
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Was over in Belgium to ride Tillf-Bastogne-Tilff and my previous fears of GP4000's in heavy rain were confirmed. 25mm tyres run at 90psi and they were all over the place - at time had to sit down on the climbs because of loss of traction. Worst case was coming down a descent, right-hand hairpin - OK it was negative camber, but my back wheel started sliding, had to straighten-up, heading straight for the barrier and a big drop into a river gorge, before scrubbing off speed and gingerly making the corner. I've come down alpine roads in similar and worse conditions, but never used tyres with such a lack of feel. One this pair wear out - dry use only, no more Contis thankyou.

Comments

• windyphil
    windyphil Posts: 106
    One of my mates had these and has suffered similar problems. My Conti Ultra Gators also suffer a similar problem but are great in the dry and against glass, flints etc. Not much kop against drawing pins though.......

If only the legs were as good as the bike....
    If only the legs were as good as the bike....
  • xio
    xio Posts: 212
    shhh - you're not allowed to diss the GP4000's on here - they'll accuse you of being a heretic. Mine ended up in the bin after about a month. Can't go along with the logic of riding them until they wear out - traction is way more important than that.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Never had a problem with them, or GP3000s.Best tyres I've had.
    Maybe you've got a dodgy pair.

You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles
  • monty_dogcp
    Sorry, not just a batch related problem, my mate on 23mm's was having similar problems - just he's not just as brainless, sorry bold on the decents.
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    I'm becoming increasingly mystified by tyres. There are a few things that everyone agrees on, but one the whole everyone seems to have radically varying opinions. I'm beginning to wonder if there are some confounding factors involved; maybe tyre performance is drastically affected by your weight or the exact nature of the road surface, or maybe the temperature, or is it that quality control on tyres is just so poor that they vary massively from batch to batch?

I have used GP4000s for a while and found them to be one of the best all round tyres I've come across. Have recently switched to Veloflex for racing, but still have GP4000s on my other bike and rode 50 miles in the rain yesterday with no problems.

---

If I had a baby elephant, I'd fit right in here.
  • farrell
    farrell Posts: 1,323
    bin em and get gome Vredestein Fortezza Tricomps. Conti's are rubbish.

<font color="orange">__________________________________________________</font id="orange"><h6>www.farrellart-london.co.uk

www.farrellart-london.co.uk/bike/bike.html</h6>
  • Porkyboy
    Porkyboy Posts: 433
    Hi

I'm using a pair of GP4000s and have had no problem with them whatsoever, got me round the Fred Whitton quite happily, no slip whilst standing on a damp and sometimes wet 25-33% incline.

I think that when it comes down to it there are just too many variables which *may* cause a tyre to slip to say which particular variable *has* caused a tyre to slip on a particualr occasion. Was it caused by the tyre, a bit of oil, a bit of mud, hard front braking hence lower rear traction, small pressure variation, too much speed for the conditions etc. etc. etc.

To say that a well known and well respected tyre is no good in the wet based on a non repeatable and non scientific test seems a tad unfair to me.

Bit of a review here, found them fine in the wet:

http://www.roadcycling.com/news/article1395.shtml

PB

What do you mean your legs are hurting? Give it some welly man!
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    I use 4000s, and the last two days have used them for racing in absolutely soaking wet conditions.

Not only did I not puncture (many others did) but had no problem going round tight bends faster then most other riders.

Great tyres, just a real pain in the arse putting them on!
    Mañana
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by farrell</i>

bin em and get gome Vredestein Fortezza Tricomps. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Dearie me, haven't laughed so much in ages [:D]

Big H

3 Grand Bike, 30 bob legs!

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • gbb
    gbb Posts: 1,240
    Simons thoughts should maybe be echoed on the subject of punc*ures.
    Why do some absolutely slate the performance of a tyre (grip or punc*ure resistance), and some revere the same tyre.
    Perhaps the myriad of circumstances completely beyond our control, road surface type, condition, weather, temperature, rider weight, pressure, tyre condition, has it rained there in the last few weeks, (we all know what that does to roads after a downpour, even in the UK, even on four wheels, let alone two), did a truck spill some fuel....the theories are endless, and unprovable for the most part....but shouldnt be discounted.

I never close my mind to any theory, until its proven to me....but, unfortunately in life, so many things go unanswered.

Chill out, fer Christsakes....

Chill out, fer Christsakes....
  • yogi
    yogi Posts: 456
    Michelin Pro Races for me. Read an article on the Dartmoor Classic in the Comic and the writer refered to the roads being slippery as glass - not on my tyres mate - and no punctures this year.

<i>I'm not lost, just temporarily unsure of my whereabouts.</i>
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    You should check out the reviews on roadbikereview.com. The tyres either get 5 or 1 star. "I have had no punctures since the dark ages, and I ride to the former planet Pluto and back every year: or "These tyres are worthless {insert expletive}. I got 5 punctures in a miles, and they went straight into the bin. I would give them no stars if I could".

My teammates almost all ride Michelin Pro2Race tyres. I tried them, and had a trouble filled week. In fact, I had more trouble than with the 20 year old Kendas I had been running all winter. When I swapped to All Condition Pro tyres, all my troubles disappeared. I did put some Michelin Pro Grips on for one race; wonderful wet weather tyre :)
  • Using some cheap conti grand prix's at the moment and they skitter everywhere. i now know why they are cheap.

i'll be going back to 4000's

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • monty_dogcp
    Been using some Fortezzas on my training bike - pretty durable but again not so wonderful in the wet either. I'll try and get some of the non-tri-comp ones in 25mm, they were a reliable, predictable tyre but hard to find. Likewise, Michelins are pretty good too in comparison to the scary Contis. I've ridden enough tyres in enough conditions to know what works, but having to ride at the armco on a hairpin isn't something I like to try too often in order to recover from a slide.
  • Porkyboy
    Hi

Has there ever been any serious controlled testing done to measure traction in standard conditions? I would have thought it would be easy enough to set up if someone knew what they were doing? Just seems a bit odd that we all have to rely on guesswork.

All that would be needed would be a section of tyre and the load needed to cause slip could surely be measured against a suitable surface sample?

Just a thought.

PB

• andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Further heresy, but I'm about to bin my Conti GP 4 Seasons because of their appalling grip in the wet.
    '4 Seasons' or not, they're easily the worst wet-weather tyres I've ever used, have scared me several times and after coming off on Sunday I'm going to buy something else.

Time to dig-out the Summer bike (why's it just started raining ? Is it something I said ?)
  • 2191flint
    2191flint Posts: 803
    The one thing that has always struck me about the Conti GP's when I have seen them hanging up in a shop, or on a new bike, is how shiny they look, reminding me of shiny black liquorice[:o)], I must say my perceived impression has always been that they don't look very safe, which would seem to be supported here.

A turkey is just for Christmas, not for life.

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
    Signature free - with immediate effect.

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
  • peterbr
    peterbr Posts: 2,076
    I use the 25c GP4000 and have found them to be fine - indeed it's peeing down today and I rode on them. Not as good as pro races in outright performance, but a lot more durable. They do look a little shiny. This is probably due to the mould and release agent used after a couple of kms this soon goes.

<hr noshade size="1">
    Elephants - where were they when we were fighting the nazis? Eh? Eh?
    <hr noshade size="1">
    "Europe\'s nations should be guided towards a superstate without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation"
    Jean Monnet, founding father of the EU.
  • farrell
    farrell Posts: 1,323
    I would also recommend Pro Races but I found I used to go through 2 sets in a race season and they picked up cuts very easily. I always felt good / confident cornering at speed with these ( and the Tricomps too ).

I used conti's when I didn't know better and was a novice - performance and grip was unpredictable causing a few iffy moments - don't even mention the sidewalls and puncture resistance.........[xx(]

<font color="orange">__________________________________________________</font id="orange"><h6>www.farrellart-london.co.uk

www.farrellart-london.co.uk/bike/bike.html</h6>

edit:can't spell
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by derosa</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by farrell</i>

bin em and get gome Vredestein Fortezza Tricomps. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Dearie me, haven't laughed so much in ages [:D]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Why? Tricomps are excellent tyres

I predictor Lotto... I predictor Lotto!
    \'You Come At the King,You Best Not Miss\'
  • i prefer to use Vitoria Open Corsa Pave's... they only come in a 24 size but can be pumped up to 130 and still have excellent wet or dry weather grip... and the green sidewalls match my Bianchi bike
    a Bianchi is for life... not just for christmas
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    Why? Tricomps are excellent tyres

Yep, `bin the dodgy in the wet contis, and fit some tyres with better all round performance' is hardly comic gold ;)

Not used GP4000s but the ultra-gators I had on mu fixed got replaced after 1 wet ride, were scary!

----
    The summer bike | The fixie | The sensible one (TBA)
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by borisvanhalen</i>

i prefer to use Vitoria Open Corsa Pave's... they only come in a 24 size but can be pumped up to 130 and still have excellent wet or dry weather grip... and the green sidewalls match my Bianchi bike

Agree-I've used these for sportifs here and in France, as well as for winter riding on our cra**y Devon roads.

My only gripe (!) is that the green bit is generally poorly stuck on.

I'm trying Stelvio Rain 23mm atm-so far so good.

I would also suggest using single pivot brakes at the rear-for better modulation than dual pivot

<font size="1">"I once prayed to God for a bike, but quickly found out he didnt work that way...so I stole a bike and prayed for his forgiveness"
    </font id="size1">
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    Ridden 25c GP4000 since January 1 on lumpy Surrey back-roads, past a farm and down a flint track (admittedly I walk the flint track) - No complaints - superb tyre - saved me on more than 1 occasion. Ridden wet and dry.
    Only spun the rear wheel once - honking uphill over a drain cover in the rain.
    To be fair, I don't usually push the pace.

I agree that the shiny surface disappears after a few miles to leave a tackier surface.

The new GP4000 S tyres are super-grippy in feel.

My wife's Vittorias have a nice "tread" pattern in them, and they do go up to about 145psi, but there's a lot of debate as to whether tread actually has any effect.
  • shockedsoshocked
    shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
    Never had a problem with mine personally, and I even went up Rosedale Chimney in the wet this sunday both in and out of the saddle with no problems.

The only loss of traction I had was when my front wheel started to lift of the floor [:O]

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Wheelz
    Wheelz Posts: 25
    Strange, because I also rode Tilff-Bastogne-Tilff on Conti GP4000's and had no problems. Mind you, I weigh a fair bit, maybe that's why i didn't suffer any traction problems!
  • yenrodcp
    yenrodcp Posts: 9,991
    A long time ago and I mean along time back ('95) I borrowed some off a mate to check them out intead of the Michelins I had - everything thats been said in regards to their skittishness or insecureness is TRUE they are very unstable and am amazed by the fact they are still like this today !

AVOID Continentals...

I'm sure he bin'ed them.

[;)] 'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
    [;)] \'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
  • Porkyboy
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by yenrod</i>

A long time ago and I mean along time back ('95) I borrowed some off a mate to check them out intead of the Michelins I had - everything thats been said in regards to their skittishness or insecureness is TRUE they are very unstable and am amazed by the fact they are still like this today !

AVOID Continentals...

I'm sure he bin'ed them.

[;)] 'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]

Hmm.. I didn't think the Continental GP4000 under discussion was even available in '95. Might be wrong though!

Just done another 120 on mine and still very happy.

Good review of the tyres here and pretty much all the reviewers comments are all very positive. Good enough for me!

PB

• titan
    titan Posts: 348
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Monty Dog</i>

I've ridden enough tyres in enough conditions to know what works

Err, begs the question why ride tyres that you suspect to be dodgy and risk ruining the trip, injury etc.