edited June 2007 in Workshop
Hi
Need to run a tap down a cage insert, can anyone tell me what size
tap to use?
Thanks

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you mean the mount inserts which take an M5 bolt then you will need a 4.20tap.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Anton de Lacey</i>

If you mean the mount inserts which take an M5 bolt then you will need a 4.20tap.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

This is not so. The thread will be either M4 or M5, not sure which without checking, (I think most are M5, but I sem to recall my Colnago C40 was M4). I digress.

So you need either an M4 or an M5 tap.

The 4.2 you mention referrs to the size hole you need to drill before you tap it M5. i.e. you drill with a 4.2mm dia drill bit. The equivalent core size for an M4 hole is 3.3mm, so you use a 3.3mm dia drill.

I've been Thamed !!
  • dave5ncp
    dave5ncp Posts: 3,198
    5x.8 I think

<font color="purple"> <font size="1"><i>please pretend there's a horizontal line here. I couldnt work out how to put one in.</i></font id="size1"></font id="purple">
    You stir my natural emotions
    <font color="purple"> <font size="1"><i>please pretend there\'s a horizontal line here. I couldnt work out how to put one in.</i></font id="size1"></font id="purple">
    You stir my natural emotions
  • Uncle Phil
    Uncle Phil Posts: 469
    I've re-cut a few bottle cage bosses that were corroded or painted. Some are M4, some M5.

Try your M4 tap and then see how well an M4 bolt fits. If it won't screw in nicely (flops about), it's probably an M5 boss, so try your M5 tap. If the M5 tap binds, drill through with a 4.2mm drill and then run the M5 tap through. You <i>will</i> now have an M5 boss!

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not"
    - Dr Seuss

Give Baby Elephants Room!
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot
    Nothing is going to get better. It\'s not"
    - Dr Seuss

Give Baby Elephants Room!