Ferries to France

RBSF
RBSF Posts: 91
edited June 2007 in Tour & expedition
I've been checking out the ferries to France from various English ports. If you have car you usually have to book in advance, but if you are not motorized can you just ride a bike straight onto the ferries without booking?

Comments

• snorri
    snorri Posts: 2,981
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RBSF</i>

if you are not motorized can you just ride a bike straight onto the ferries without booking?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Not exactly, go to the ferry office on the quayside to buy a ticket first.[:)] There might be problems at peak times, but usually there is a space for a bike at short notice.
  • psmiffy
    psmiffy Posts: 236
    Overnight ferries they can be a little snotty about if they are very busy and have sold all the "accomadation" - say at bank holiday weekends - though saying that I have never actually been refused
  • Cathryn
    Cathryn Posts: 176
    I've booked a tandem onto an overnight ferry and when I checked, they wanted me to book it. Always safer!