Rude cyclist... get off your carbon high horse

2»

Comments

• Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jacomus-rides-Gen</i>

Hey, I'll admit to sounding like a total prat, but I didn't lie. I actually almost took a pic of my computer last night after seeing the other posts about my inability to do that speed. Unfortunately I never got round to it before I went to bed.

<i>Edit: Actually, I just remembered my computer gives weeks totals - I've just taken some pics on my mobile, which shows the max speed, I'll pop them on tonight when I get home. </i>

Wow, must have to spin that wheel by hand pretty quickly to get 45mph [;)]
  • I see where this is going, so I can't be bothered to faff about transferring the pics.

I've learnt my lesson about posting whilst worked up. Also about pessimism - don't court it, never underestimate it. [B)]

See you all back in less depressing topics!

• Asterixcp
    Asterixcp Posts: 6,251
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> <i>Originally posted by Jacomus-rides-Gen</i>

I have been scared back into bodyarmour and as my road helmet was broken in the crash I'm wearing my Spesh DeviantCarbon full face lid (with the visor taken off so I can see on the roadbike!) I feel much better for cycling in

..my 45mph top speed (admittedly attained by drafting a wvm) and 17.0mph average through 7 miles of central London isn't exactly slow <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

If I rode like a prat, I'd feel safer in body armour.. but not much.

Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
  • Asterixcp
    Asterixcp Posts: 6,251
    ..oh and BTW, Hi, Jacomus[:)]

• peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    hi jacomus - sorry for the cynicism about the top speed.

i liked the story though, and i probably would have said hello.

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2xkbbs
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    C'mon guys, it's bad enough that he keeps falling off of his bike without everybody having a go at him!![;)]

SNAPS
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    I'm surprised nobody has posted that wearing body armour makes you more prone to accidents as you feel over confident [;)]
  • redrobbo
    redrobbo Posts: 727
    IMO wearing body armour would make you more prone to accidents by encouraging a false sense of security.

Titanium is for the fairies
  • Phil Scp
    Phil Scp Posts: 2,525
    I think I may have seen you around town, is this you?

http://tinyurl.com/3dkltc
  • He's not even wearing a helmet ! Imagine the impact of a longsword on his unprotected noggin ?

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/roads4bikes/
  • rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    At 45 mph!
  • nice PJ

serously though 45 mph, you should be turning professional mate, 45 mph is 72kph, given that the sprinters go all of about 60kph for 200m I think somethings up, no offence...

and Not only would you have looked a bit wierd all DH'd up in hyde park but Roadies never wave to anyone except other roadies and Londoners never speak to anyone ever so you re asking alot...although yes, he should have said something, but don't be surprised if he didn't

--

Insert stupid, possibly baby elephant realated, comment here......
  • Phil Scp
    Phil Scp Posts: 2,525
    Sprinters go much faster than 60kph, not that our friend can hit that sort of speed unless he can output the same kind of watts as Boonen or Petacchi
  • To be fair guys, Boonen et al can do it without the help of a hill and a wvm. Also as to sustaining it, I never said that I could or did. Obviously 45mph is the top speed reached, probably just touched before backing off and braking for the lights.

And I am a roadie, my clothes don't stop me being one.

• jel
    jel Posts: 758
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ste_S</i>
    My average speed drops a fair bit when riding in traffic (I don't rlj and if i do filter it's very slowly), is a 17mph average acheivable without being suicidal ?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

17 isn't suicidal but it is pushing the limits a touch (in a nice way). I don't think it's possible to get past 20 without breaking the law.
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    boonen et al tend to do it with the help of a "train" consisting of a hundred others in close proximity and select few buncheed around doing the lead in.

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2xkbbs
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv
  • njc97
    njc97 Posts: 184
    Depends what you mean by "average"
    As in "average speed from start to finish" I would have thought it was pushing it unless you had a very clear run. As in "speed you do on an average strecth when not accelerating away/slowing down for some reason" it's much more reasonable.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I've done an 16 miles run across London at an average of 17mph including stopping times before, but saying that it felt <i>really</i> fast compared to what would usually be 14/15mph average(including stops)

SNAPS