Yet another petition, but please sign it.

dondare
dondare Posts: 2,113
edited June 2007 in Campaign
From the CTC

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4855

Baby elephants? Pah!!
This post contains traces of nuts.

Comments

• The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    it's not 'another' one, it's the same one, drilled into us again and again and again and again and again!
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    "us" Bonj? You're an SS troll, so I wouldn't think you qualify as one of "us". Are you by some strange and peculiar chance a CTC member?

If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    The fun thing is Bonj that the useless petitions that you SSers come up with get thrown out and you all start crying.

Recognised, respectable groups actually have clout.

• The Bosscp
    It seems to me that petitions are flavour of the month at the moment, and I'm personally quite bored of having them forced down our necks time and time and again, usually the same ones over and over again, by the poor deluded souls that think that there's even a vague chance of them making a blind bit of difference. All this "you SSers" and "you're an SS troll" seems to be, apart from entirely false, a little rebellion about the fact that certain members of the speed camera lobby on here (you two mainly) have got quite worked up and itchy because you don't like the fact that the leader of SS has managed to get in with most of the papers and usually manages to secure a quote or a little snippet or press release of some sort in most articles about speeding or other attacks on drivers' liberty, such as road pricing.

If you're that great a campaigner FOR speed cameras and speed limits and the like, then why don't YOU get yourself known as a road safety campaigner and get to be able to issue press releases and quotes to newspapers? I'll tell you the reason why, shall I - because you <i>can't be bothered.</i> You don't like the SS, but you haven't really got the arguments, or the bottle, inclination, or the nous to stand up and argue against them where it will be read by a volume of people, you're quite content with sniping from the shadows.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    It's not the same one, honestly.

Baby elephants? Pah!!
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Mister Paul
    Why are they forced down your neck Bonjy? Is mommy making you read them?

Do you really think that anyone is anything but amused by the ridiculous comments that Smith comes up with for his quotes? He's doing himself and his cause no favours at all. the more the better.

The issues are already there Bonj. They're being discussed.

Learning for today Bonjy. When a paper prints a story, the norm is to get a counter argument. With most of the road safety issues, Mr Safespeeding is one of a very few people who disagree with road safety. It's easy for a hack to rech for the first comment to hand. Given that Mr Safespeeding spends his thousands of 'research' hours banging out rushed, poor PRs, his comments are usually the nearest to grab.

There is such a thing as bad publicity.

Being a member of the CTC is a great way of supporting road safety.

• Jaded
    Jaded Posts: 6,663
    The Boss, you are mistaking a one-man band (OK - with a few lobotomised sycophants chewing on his toe-cheese) for a road safety campaign.

SS is nothing of the sort. Look at his imbecilic flood of Press Releases, look carefully in them for any recommendations about safety. Nothing. They are all sad rants against speed controls. Sometimes he even rants about anti-congestion measures - what that has to do with Road Safety, who alone knows!

He should find some Verbal Imodium for his affliction.

(His arguments were torn to shreds on here some months ago. What did he do? He stuck his fingers in his ears, shouted "I'm not answering any of those questions" and then flounced off back to his lobotomised sycophants. You were perhaps there when he arrived back, triumphant?

--
    <font size="1">[Warning] This post may contain a baby elephant or traces of one</font id="size1">
  • The Bosscp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jaded</i>

The Boss, you are mistaking a one-man band (OK - with a few lobotomised sycophants chewing on his toe-cheese) for a road safety campaign.

SS is nothing of the sort. Look at his imbecilic flood of Press Releases, look carefully in them for any recommendations about safety. Nothing. They are all sad rants against speed controls. Sometimes he even rants about anti-congestion measures - what that has to do with Road Safety, who alone knows!

(His arguments were torn to shreds on here some months ago. What did he do? He stuck his fingers in his ears, shouted "I'm not answering any of those questions" and then flounced off back to his lobotomised sycophants. You were perhaps there when he arrived back, triumphant?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Road safety campaign, one man band, pied piper of lobotomised sycophants, - whatever you want to call him, he <i>does</i> get his name and thoughts published in the papers, and you don't. And you don't like that.
  • Mister Paul
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jaded</i>

Road safety campaign, one man band, pied piper of lobotomised sycophants, - whatever you want to call him, he <i>does</i> get his name and thoughts published in the papers, and you don't. <b>And you don't like that.</b>

<i>I</i> love it. I can't wait to open the Mail every day to find his ranting, hilarious quote.

• Jaded
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

Road safety campaign, one man band, pied piper of lobotomised sycophants, - whatever you want to call him, he <i>does</i> get his name and thoughts published in the papers, and you don't. And you don't like that.

Oh, I can assure you that if I wanted my quotes in the paper they would be there. You don't know a lot about journalism do you.

In fact, you don't appear to know a lot about anything.

--
    <font size="1">[Warning] This post may contain a baby elephant or traces of one</font id="size1">
  • rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    small pith's banned Mister Paul from the crapspeed forum because Mr Paul pointed out that Pith's PR was an own goal.

With more and more 20mph zones appearing and Pith gets more and more ridiculous and marginalised, I have serious worries for Sm1th's mental health.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    As a guide to the internet for referencing, sites like Safe<i></i>Speed rate very low.

They are by nature unscientific, lack any form of peer review and have no supporting references or validayion outside their own group.

Any student who seriously tried quoting this would be penalised in the same way as someone who quoted the Sun's "Dear Deidre" as an expert in sexual dysfunction.

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Jaded
    One of the lovely things about PS and the SS is the quoting of references. Almost all PS's references are from his own site. It is rather funny!

--
  • The Bosscp

Oh, I can assure you that if I wanted my quotes in the paper they would be there. You don't know a lot about journalism do you.

Go on then, try. I'm challenging you to.
  • Jaded

Go on then, try. I'm challenging you to.

Read my sentence again, donut.

--
  • Simon L2
    Simon L2 Posts: 2,908

It seems to me that petitions are flavour of the month at the moment, and I'm personally quite bored of having them forced down our necks time and time and again, usually the same ones over and over again, by the <b>poor deluded souls that think that there's even a vague chance of them making a blind bit of difference</b>.
    and, with that, poor ol' Bonj finally gets a podium place in the Dipstick Handicap. The 'deluded souls' of the CTC have so unnerved the DfT that 40 last minute changes have been made to the Highway Code. This petition is, in truth, a bit of ramming it home mixed with marketing opportunity. Which, lest you think otherwise, is a <u>good thing</u>. Why not capitalise on success? If Smith succeeded in making Portsmouth an 80mph zone, wouldn't he big it up?

As for being forced down the neck.....that phrase is so much a part of the Daily Mail/Daily Express 'god help me, I'm so afraid' thing that I'm beginning to subject it to crude Freudian analysis. Why do people travel around in insulated boxes? What propells them to such high speeds?

Bonj - you know what did it? Well, you don't, so I'll tell you. Sweet reason. Not some endlessly self-referential argument that extrapolates tendentious and misquoted 'statistics', combined with an appeal to the nasty underbelly of speedcrazed misfits. No, Bonj, sweet reason. I went to see my MP, as did any number of others here, and made the point that I admired Ladyman's scorn for the Captain Gatso's of this world, and asked him to prevail upon the Minister's undoubted intelligence. We wrote well constructed but impassioned letters by the hundred. Nobody in Government likes backing down, but, equally, nobody in Government wants to be seen as stubborn in the face of a rain of well thought out representations brought to them by his or her fellow MPs (especially when a JR is in the wings [}:)]).

That goes for us too. What's striking about your one-pony tail campaign is that nobody on this forum has, as far as I can remember, been convinced by one of your points. Not one. Not ever. And you don't have to look far, even in the somewhat rarified atmosphere in Sopabox (or the more scholarly environs 'over the road') to see individuals coming to a different understanding of the world on the basis of some fresh insight offered by another. Perhaps you should ponder your complete lack of success and ask yourself whether you are a profoundly unpersuasive person, or whether you simply have nothing useful or interesting to say. It could be one, or, on the other hand, it could be the other. Or, possibly, it could be both.