Campag Levers QS

GaryGkn
GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
edited June 2007 in Workshop
What are the difference between the 07 Campag Levers QS and the 06 10 speed levers? I have been looking at the Centaur group.

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    As far as I am aware, not having direct experience of the new Campag stuff, that you can only change one gear at a time, but the older stuff you can go up or down a few at a time. I know of my older Record groupset you can indeed do this.

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • I heard that you can't trim the front mech on the latest version but you certainly can on the 2006 Centaur which I have. That's progress for you!?
  • giant_man
    yes you can on the older stuff. Which is nice. You can still get 06 Centaur and Chorus btw Gary.

• andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    According to CJ on the CTC forum, the 07 Chorus and Record front shifters still have the fine ratchet for trimming, but the lower ranges have gone to semi-indexed like Shimano. The cable pull may have changed too, so an old front mech on a new QS low-range shifter may not work (or indeed an MTB mech).
  • bhm100
    bhm100 Posts: 102
    I'm using 2007 QS veloce levers as a replacement for older Centaur on a campag/shimano mixed drivetrain. I don't think the cable pull has changed significantly because both front & rear still change fine with the old mechs - I just swopped the levers over. The notable difference is changing up - you can only go one at a time, but I'd say it's a good shift and I've not found any problems with the new setup.

The front changer is more difficult to trim though. I had no trouble getting it to work with a double, but it's fiddly getting it to run neatly with a triple. The change is fine, one click and it's gone, but at the edges of the block it's harder to trim on a triple set-up. Like andrew says, the front change is just like my shimano equipped MTB.
  • Uzbek
    Uzbek Posts: 486
    Why have they changed the front mech system on some gropus? Being able to 'trim' it without indexed shifting seemed a useful feature (and a selling point over Shimano). Is it cost saving or just a way of differentiating the various ranges?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If North Yorks Council spent as much on the roads each year as I do on my bike then I could spend less on my bike...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If North Yorks Council spent as much on the roads each year as I do on my bike then I could spend less on my bike...
  • currieinahurry
    currieinahurry Posts: 2,695
    well the new system is lighter and is much cheaper for them to produce. also the gear changes as you release the shifter not when you press it like b4. not very good imo. so i have 2006 centaur and o7 chorus and soon 07 record!
    tikka

hi my name is adam... and i have a problem with posting on cycling forums.
    hi my name is adam... and i have a problem with posting on cycling forums.
  • GaryGkn
    Thanks for that everyone I have seen some NOS Centaur 06 Levers for œ65 on the dreaded bay so I think I will go for them.
  • giant_man
    If that fails Gary check out totalcycling.com as they seem to carry the older stuff still.

• Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    I'm running a 190? 8 speed front mech with 07 QS levers. No problems at all.
  • GaryGkn
    Cheers giant man!
  • Here's a thought Look on campagnolo.com for your nearest Pro Shop. Call them and have them explain.

Might get the truth instead of incorrect thoughts from forums.
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Down the Road</i>

Here's a thought Look on campagnolo.com for your nearest Pro Shop. Call them and have them explain.

Might get the truth instead of incorrect thoughts from forums.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

And then post the answer on here - I haven't spoken to anyone that doesn't think QS is a step backward. I'd like to know the real reason behind it.

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • GaryGkn
    Just rang them sounds like they are on a lunch but if I get through I will post my findings.